UPSIZED BMX 26 & 29 inch. OPINIONS?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I saw the post RatRod put up about the Fairdale 26 inch BMX, beautiful bike, but a quick search shows that it will be far more expensive over here in Australia than it is over there... So I went looking for oversized BMX for sale in Aust and found these, would welcome your thoughts on them... Also got to thinking, with me being on the tall side 6 foot 4 inches, maybe a 29 Inch version would be the go?

1st up: SE QUADRANGLE 29 Inch BMX. $560
Too new for specs.
9626460039_33a9421257.jpg

2nd: SE PRIMETIME 26 Inch BMX. $480
Cr/Mo Frame 29lbs/13kgs.
9626460065_758a75d4f2.jpg

3rd: SE BIG RIPPER 29 Inch BMX. $600
6061 Alloy frame 29lbs/13kgs.
9626459967_c91d09be61.jpg

4th: Se OM FLYER LOOPTAIL 26 Inch BMX. $560.
Cr/Mo frame 30lbs/13.5kgs.
9629722160_161e0e2093.jpg

5th: As Above but 2014 model in ORANGE and full pad set. $600.
9626535281_a3b6fd01db.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Luke.

Re: UPSIZED BMX 26 &29 inch...

DeuceWheeler said:
I am not BMX buff, but I think that OM Flyer is pretty rad.
It does seem to me to be the most BMX styled of all of them... Probably leaning that way, but have to see if I can fit.

Luke.

I like the se primetime the most. DMR and NS make some very nice pre assembled packages as well in the 26" dirt jumper geometry. Both company's based out of europe.

Love the color of the Quadangle. Always like the frame design too. If I had the dough, I'd drop it on the Quad. :D

Ive had an OM and liked it, think I would try a big ripper or primetime too though. Did you guys get any of these GT 26's ?

s780_performer.jpg

interceptor.jpg

CCR said:
Ive had an OM and liked it, think I would try a big ripper or primetime too though. Did you guys get any of these GT 26's ?
Not that I have seen for sale in my price range, pretty rare bikes over here I would think...
1968longboy said:
Love the color of the Quadangle. Always like the frame design too. If I had the dough, I'd drop it on the Quad. :D
Yeah, that copper colour is pretty cool!

Been having a think, and I am pretty sure I know where a 26 inch 6061 alloy BMX frame is, might have to see if I can get it and build it up. I have some old but not special 20 inch BMX's here I can steal parts off, and the stuff I am missing is all reasonably priced on Porkchop's website, just be a matter of finding decent wheels to build my own...

Luke.

outskirtscustoms said:
That quadangle is SWEET! I wish I had that kind of cash.
It is a cool bike for sure! I don't actually have that kind of money, but if I decided I want one and it fits right, I am hoping the bike shop will let me pay it off, they usually do... :wink:

Luke.

Honestly I got my '12 OM Flyer as a frame/fork kit. Had fun on it but honestly I have just as much fun on my schwinn heavy duty klunker. I ended up breaking the OM Flyer apart and selling it, mostly because everytime I went in a gas station for a soda, someone was "handling" the bike outside when I came out. Sold it before someone stole it :lol:

If your liking the 26" bmx stuff, don't forget about johhny true torch or genuine ... even if its just for frame ideas :wink:

http://truetorch.com/bikes4.html

http://www.genuinebicycleproducts.com/

Found out the 6061 Alloy frame I was thinking of was actually a mountain bike frame, backwards dropouts and all. Could make it work, but not the same. :|

Thanks for the links CCR! I am getting inspired by them, been thinking all along "why aren't I just building one?" but been put off by the weight of most of the frames I build! :lol:

9632172774_d13393e1a4.jpg

This one especially has given me something to think about! I have a Dyno Downhill mountain bike I got for nothing, all the bolts on's are destroyed, bent rims, cracked hubs, worn out forks but with a straight and solid similar style frame to the GT, it is a steel frame so I could switch out the dropouts for bmx style ones, lose the v brake mounts and build my own 26 inch bmx out of it! :mrgreen: Wonder if my local powdercoater can do day glow orange? :lol:

Luke.

SE Bikes makes very nice retro styled BMX bikes - those 26" and 29" cruisers are no exception.

The OM Flyer 26" is legendary and has been in production since 1979. Great bike.

If you're tall you might like their 29" bikes though - folks love those Big Rippers and 29" Quads

I have a vintage Mongoose KOS (26") that I love. Also I have another reissue 26" BMX that shall remain nameless and unbuilt.

I had a chance a few years ago to buy a "Big Ripper" and really wish I had. They are nice.

I'm particular to higher headtube geometry. At 6' I get insane amount of pop on my hops due to it. My custom built 2012 ns capital. When it comes to street riding the lighter the better. I'm weighing in at 26lbs.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=74453

Wow! Thanks for all the responses guys! I am in the process of checking out the bikes and links posted, looking for more ideas!
Danimal, thanks for the ride pic! Nice to get some idea of sizing with a big guy on board! Looks like I could rock a 26 being 4 inch's shorter than you, but might still consider the 29's...

Luke.

Luke with your skills,I would think you could throw one together??? just use a mountain bike frame,Take all the exsessive **** off it...You can find singlespeed cranks and swap out the rear cassette for a bmx single,couple bmx pads...Wella!!!!One giant klunker...

Latest posts

Back