UPSIZED BMX 26 & 29 inch. OPINIONS?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For flat out hauling bicyclist the big bmxs rule!
SE has been making OM flyers for years, all the old Mx guys got one!

If you're over 6 ft. tall, definitely go ride some large frame 29ers at the bike store if you can. I think you'll find them to be more comfortable and stable.

26" BMX bikes tend to have pretty small frames, so I think a 29" BMX like the Big Ripper or 29" Quadangle would fit you a lot better.

Really surprised by the amount of posts this thread has gotten! Awesome everyone, thankyou!
Going to have a look at some next week, but in the meantime going ahead with planning the Dyno Downhill mountain bike conversion as Funk suggested, might be a good way for me to find out what I really want if I build it and ride it around for a while...

Luke.

Found an eBay ad with the same Dyno frame as what I have:

9633003417_9325343593.jpg

Should give you some idea of where I am heading...
Switch out the dropouts, build some forks and add on some BMX bars, stem, seat, grips, pedals and pads, should be getting close!

Luke.

Re: UPSIZED BMX 26 & 29 inch. OPINIONS?

LukeTheJoker said:
Wow! Thanks for all the responses guys! I am in the process of checking out the bikes and links posted, looking for more ideas!
Danimal, thanks for the ride pic! Nice to get some idea of sizing with a big guy on board! Looks like I could rock a 26 being 4 inch's shorter than you, but might still consider the 29's...

Luke.

I always wanted a KOS so when I found a frame/fork/bars set a couple years ago, I jumped on them. I agree, a 29 would be better, but...

In an ideal world, here is what I would want. To go to Walmart and pick up one of there 32" cruiser bikes. Take the wheels and trash the rest. Then, have somebody build me a vintage style BMX frame using the same proportions as the old bikes. That would net me an oversized cruiser like no other. But that will never happen.

Re: UPSIZED BMX 26 & 29 inch. OPINIONS?

No idea. Last Christmas I rode one around the store for a bit and it seemed ok, but there were no curbs or potholes. Lol.

Danimal said:
...Also I have another reissue 26" BMX that shall remain nameless and unbuilt.

Danimal: Haha, as you know, I have one of those, too... i built it to a thin nickel and ride it here and there, but yeah, I'm still bitter.

I ordered a Genuine Article 1 a few weeks back; found it on my porch a week back, and I can't wait to finish collecting parts for the build. Still, so nice to see that some guys are getting it right: quality powdercoat, seat-tube actually accepts a seatpost without modification, and accepts a clamp too, plus the stickers were left off by request and are perfect, dropouts are straight, parallel, and exactly 110mm apart.... A refreshing change from that other builder in Cali who sells hott yet flawed retro-styled BMX cruisers.

http://www.genuinebicycleproducts.com/frames.html

LTJ- get an OM flyer frameset and build it. Frames/forks are $250 USD at planetbmx.com with $65 shipping to Oz...

Too set on building my own now, so going to start on the Dyno probably tomorrow...

Been drawing up ideas in windows paint program, and I think I have come up with the direction I will be heading:

9643127295_07f5b9d86f.jpg

May not be comfortable for long rides but should be an awesome dirt jump/racer style bike.
Think I may build another one as a decent long rider if this is a success, either that or pay off a 29 inch Quadrangle... :wink:

9626460039_33a9421257.jpg

Luke.

Well after extensive mock ups and testing today, the banana seat is not going to happen! It looks great down low but is unridable, when you get it up high enough to be rideable it just looks ridiculous!!! :lol:

So a rethink, and it will be getting a standard BMX saddle and a huge lay back seat post to get it back where I want it. Also going to make the bars taller than I had them in the drawing.

More soon.

Luke.

Hey Luke,
This is my mountain bike with 700c rims...Only use it wen I want to get somewhere fast...
Dont like the feel of it so much.
1. Very light in the front end(thinkin to put suspension forks back on)
2. Handlebars to small(need to be wider)
3. The frame is also small for my size...
May put 26" back on it n sell it...

Totally agree Funk, I have so much trouble finding a bike that fits me and it nice to ride. I bought an oversize XL mountain bike thinking that would solve my problems but it is awful!

Aside from the bikes I build from scratch the last bike I rode that was fun and fitted and I enjoyed riding was my high-school BMX, so that is what started me on this path...

Luke.

I recently finished my BMXie, it's and old LARGE Zaskar frame someone had broken the hanger off, so I remade the drop outs and put it together.

Ended up with Kenda Kwest 1.5 slicks, but have a set of Comp IIIs for it should the need arise! I am pushing a 40/16, feels like cranking death until it gets moving....
The bottom bracket height came down to just over 9", the rear triangle is short. The bike is light, 24 lbs. Rides fast, Rides great!

Old BMXers never die, just jump more!

LukeTheJoker said:
Totally agree Funk, I have so much trouble finding a bike that fits me and it nice to ride. I bought an oversize XL mountain bike thinking that would solve my problems but it is awful!

Aside from the bikes I build from scratch the last bike I rode that was fun and fitted and I enjoyed riding was my high-school BMX, so that is what started me on this path...

Luke.
I know what you mean...I have a great trek sitting in a garage in Oz for the last 20yrs...(was my fav)
Hey u just gave me a idea for fun,hav a old gt frame just sitting here,I might tinker with that...
I was going to build a motorized drift trike(but need winter time for that,aswell as a pennyfarthingy) :D

Latest posts

Back