Chopped Cranbrook - First build ever

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my first bike build ever, a 24" Ladies Huffy that was donated to the city trash pickup.

The wood block in the center is 3" tall, represents where the bottom of the new frame will be.

This ugly dumpster refugee was going to be my first attempt. Instead, it's just a donor.

All the harvested bits.

I should have the paint stripped tomorrow. Hopefully.

That ugly dumpster refugee would have made for a great BMX gender change. Interested to see what comes next.

Looks like a great project, Luke i was going to ask the same thing. It would work if he runs a lowrider crank but he is going to be pedaling hard

The bottom bracket will be relocated. If the rain lets up, I'm ready to start welding tomorrow.

A loose mockup of my new fork. I'm not fully confident in my welding just yet, need a little more practice.

:shock: Wow! That is cool! very nice job on the fitting up of it by the looks! That will make your welding so much easier...
You will have a bit of a different feel to your bike riding with the wheel that for forward, just pre-warning you... :wink:

Luke.

Thanks for the input, everyone.
Truth is, my fork design is in serious jeopardy if I don't figure out a proper way to weld it. My problem is, I've got an arc welder. I'm pretty sure this won't present a problem with the frame itself. But the delicate pipes attaching to the fork will be toast, literally, if I don't get this perfectly right. Here are my ideas:
1) I can dial the amps down as low as 40
2) I have an electrode holder specially made for sheet metal. Haven't tried it out yet.
3) Filing the radius of the pipe ends for a perfect fit.
4) Steel inserts inside the pipes, made from solid rod. Could make the pipes a little more resistant to melt-through, and add strength to the joints.
5) Aluminum inserts, solid rod. Won't weld, but may help pipes resist melting a little better.
6) Have even considered copper inserts, not sure if I can get copper rod.
6) As an absolute last resort, pay someone to TIG it.

Anyone who has tried this with a stick welder, please drop some knowledge on me.

Latest posts

Back