shimano 8 speed internal geered hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still brainstorming build#1
can't find anything bad about the shimano 8 speed internal hubs
i'm starting with an old mountain bike frame so I will need to changeup the rear dropout for tension adjustment but that is no biggy
the sturmy archer systems are a little cheeper but there are complaints of noisy operation
thoughts?
break options?

wb

I have a 7 speed Nexus and I just love it. Mine has the coaster brake. I didn't trust the brakes at first so I put a drum brake on the front. The Nexus 7 comes with coaster or roller brake. I opted for coaster...one less cable. Gary

I put a Nexus 8 on my Basman and it's great. I got the roller brake version since I already had a roller brake on the front. I bought another one for my next project and got a good deal on it on Amazon. The price goes up and down so you have to check from time to time. The second one is the upgraded version with roller bearings and different clutches. Supposed to be even smoother than the regular one. There is a coaster brake version as well which is more expensive but about the same once you factor in buying a roller brake.

Have you ever risen a roadster with apes. Was wondering if it makes a nice ride and what size works best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a nexus 7 when they first came out, still using it! Been totally overhauled/rebuilt twice, bet I have 10,000 miles on it, or more.....
Quiet operation, silent compared to Sturmey Archer, and shimano 3 speeds. Don't know about the other Sturmey Archer hubs....

I now have 3 Nexus 8 wheels. My first one is the standard version and the second two are the upgraded one. The upgraded one is a bit smoother feeling but otherwise they all work great. Looking for a coaster brake version for a build and they only come in the standard version. I've also looked for donor bikes but most of them are either non-coaster or pretty ratty looking and still expensive. I'll probably just buy new.

If you're looking for donor bikes, they seem to be used a lot in folding bikes. Also some of the Electra Townies but they are usually high priced for a donor. Missed one that went for $50 on CL.

Latest posts

Back