big box bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a nicer walmart Mongoose mtn bike thats pretty good but it mainly gets rode when I know Im going thru fields or gravel. It dont get near the miles my old rebuilt bikes get

i agree with this
big box stores aren't terrible they are just made with cheap parts.
my commuter a wal mart genesis does just fine now that i have gone thru it and regreased everything.
the rear hub locked up on me but i have since then replaced the bearing that caused the issue with a better set.
now i love the bike and would not hesitate to jump on i and ride 15 miles.
as you stated if maintenance is kept up their fine just don't expect them to hold up to abuse like a higher end may .
their good for the money if you just want a cheap commuter.
sean

From my experience working for Huffy building bikes, usually returns are because of bad assembly/tuning. I never had a bicycle returned, couple gas grills came back though.....
I'd grease and true wheels, only difference that the time study people noted in the same time other guys were screwing them together.
The components are adequate, (barely) for a person to RIDE, nothing more.

This debate will go on forever but if you pay $150 for a lawn mower you really don't expect the same lifespan out of it as if you paid $500. The same with bikes. Some people can't afford a $500 mower so they buy the $150 mower and deal with the lower end quality. And buying used older bikes is not always an option. People buying Walmart bikes probably don't have a clue what to look for in a used bike even if they could find one. So they could end up with worse junk than if they bought a Walmart bike. People here have a lot of bike knowledge. Most people don't.

I dont like having the exact same thing as everyone, I was brought up to Customized Everything, i have 2 Mongoose Beast, Me & Wife, $179 each, (We Love our CHEAP Fat Bikes) i dont see why to pay $1500 to $2500 & even up to $3500 for a real good Fat Bike if im goin to change out the, Grips, Chain, Seat, Pedals, Paint Job, etc.....i cant buy somthing that is stock, it may work for YOU, But NOT for me, i say everybody to there own & have fun doin it, more power to you, i will NEVER knock someone down for there likings or styles, im also a Car Guy, i have many Cars, Trucks, & Motorcycles, brought up poor, But i worked hard to be finacially set $$$.
EVERYBODY TO THERE OWN & HAVE FUN DOIN IT !!! BEAST OUT !!!

Last edited:
This is just my personal experience and admittedly it is very limited. I think I have worn out some where between 4-6 Walmart Beach Cruiser bikes. I did not start off by lubricating them up I just rode them and then tried to take care of problems as they came up but it seemed like a losing battle to me. I since have acquired two Giant Beach Cruisers and the difference is very noticeable to me. I do maintenance more because I want to now than the bike is demanding it and they just ride nicer IMO.

My son is into mountain biking and I cant tell you how many Walmart mountain bikes he killed, off the top of my head I would say 4 in less than a year before he bit the bullet and laid down $1200 for a base model Kona MB

the manufacturer should have set up the bike ready for assembley if it was not lubed properly , it's not the stores fault , but the store should have i a safty inspection prior to leting it out on the sales floor !

[quor, post: 767261, member: 1415"]Each time one is purchased a local mom and pop shop dies.[/quote]
Not necessarily, I made great money in the past as an authorized Huffy repair shop, ended up assembling their bikes cause they got fed up with the returns. Made bank in fact....
My view was and is, I am not competing with their bikes, just fixing them.
As far as purchasing them for myself; I will never fly Huffy, Murray almost killed me for landing, and Colombia, I can see thru your tubing!!!

Wait 50 years and some of those big box bikes will be sought after classics.

Most of the cool bikes on this forum where once sitting in department stores. Of course, they were arguably much more durable (and heavier).

....Most of the cool bikes on this forum where once sitting in department stores. Of course, they were arguably much more durable (and heavier).

There has always been a difference between bike shop bikes and dime store bikes. While somebody might dig a deluxe 60's Huffy for it's style, no matter how thick one's rose-colored glasses, it can't compare in quality to a base model Schwinn of similar original price...

;-)

The 90's & older department store brands frames look just right and not overly thick like the Schwinn's but not thin like a pedal car a kids trike or even what modern day beach cruisers use in comparison.

A few years ago I bought a Spaceliner that was made and used heavily as a Klunker but the frame looked good except for some rough scratches. The only parts of that bike that were broken was the rear hubs axle & it's 5 speed cassette had a tooth broken. As well as front hubs shell and those were not even original to the bike.

Each time one is purchased a local mom and pop shop dies.
Ever buy anything off of the internet?

We have two LBS and they both cater to high end clientele... one has a BMX store in the building next door, but it's only open part time. Both of them look at you like you're nutso_O if you even ask them about ordering parts, but I still do... I support my local guitar shop too, even tho there's a Guitar Center 30 miles away with like 500 in stock...
But I also keep my Cannondale running myself, the shop owner acted like it was heresy:eek: when I ordered the parts to convert an old T400 to an road bike. When I needed a parts donor for a build, I bought a bike at Walmarf. No way I'm gonna buy a bike at a LBS just to cut up... The bikes may be worth a 1000 bucks but their attitude when a regular guy walks in is what hurts them the most. :blackeye:The second shop is a little better, they're newer and know the older store has a bad rep. So they at least feigned interest in my 36'...:39:

...Most of the cool bikes on this forum where once sitting in department stores. Of course, they were arguably much more durable (and heavier).

So true, on both points.

All modern products are made as cheaply as possible, to be just barely servicable, for a very short time. That is why many of us choose to live in the past. ;)

No way I'm gonna buy a bike at a LBS just to cut up...
Then support your local metal supplier and buy your tubing from them. Start with $10 worth of tubing and you are already ahead(and you don't have to give "the evil empire" your money)! Just my opinion. Others may vary and that is fine. Life stinks without variety.

Last week I gave in and ordered a thruster fixie from Walmart. FedEx delivered 2 days later so I greased everything up took off all the stickers and put it together. The front brake just broke off when I was trying to adjust it, I replaced the back brake with an old better one made by Schwinn. Got a more comfortable saddle and I've put about 8 pplmilepspplasti on it everything seems to be going well. It has the flip op hub so I'm riding it on the single speed side. I know a lot of people have the same question about the big box store bikes so I bit the bullet and I'm going to find out just how reliable they are. I still plan to switch out the plastic cranks though before going on longer rides I don't want the plastics to brake and then have to walk.

My thought about any bike is if you want it buy it, do your best to keep it maintained and just ride it and see how long it lasts.[/quote

Quite a few friends of mine have these Thruster Fixies, I have never seen one with plastic cranks , infact their cranks were heavier in weight than the alloy cranks I replaced them with. Were yoi refering to

I have a Smoking Loon by Nirve, the same bike without the adds to Smoking Loon Wines list on Nirve's website at $489.95 . When I bought mine off craigslist from a couple
that had won it in a raffle , for the price of $100.00, it was nothing more than a collection of name brand parts. Nothing was assembled properly. The spokes were loose , the rear hub was so tight it was hard to pedal , the forks
were on bass ackwards , and the headset was finger tightened , the tires had cool flames but to tell the truth no better quality than those on a wal-mart bike .

When you buy from a bike store they have techs that assemble the bikes or reassemble and work outbthe bugs just like most everyone here has advised that you do with your big box bikes.

same over here - and the older bikes are priced ridiculously so you really have to dig for something nice...... but their are a huge amount of local bike guys/gals who manage just fine as their is a large biking community in Belgium.
Each and every one of them have their preferred suppliers but you will watch them all go through the bike and make sure it's up to scratch before you ride it on out the door. They're just doing what you have to if you buy out of the box. We don't even have that option over here as the market just doesn't support that approach.

I'd gladly snap up a BEAST for 100-150euros even if I did have to go over it myself but you just can't get them over here.......... you get what you pay for - as with everything in life.

Enjoy the cheapies and use them for what they're there for!

Yeah onex29er the cranks are made of white hard plastic, but they have metal inside the holes to attach to the bb and to the pedals.

I took them off and replaced them with some aluminium cranks.

Latest posts

Back