SRAM Automatix 2 speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have one of these. It works great! The only trick is matching up the rear cog, chainring and wheel size to get it to shift at the optimum point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMO, you're best setting this up with a low primary gear, for a slightly-higher-than-normal overdrive gear.

The new SRAM hub is an updated version of the Sachs Torpedo Automatic, itself a truly automatic version of the Torpedo Duomatic kickback. The Bendix "Autos" were not actually automatic at all... those were great hubs with a stupid name.

PS- that's the other difference: For Bendix, only the Blue Band version (common on 20" bikes" was a direct/overdrive 2speed. The other Bendix 2speeds were direct/underdrive. The Torpedo, the newer SRAM, and even the contemporary Sturmey-Archer 2 speeds are all direct/overdrive...

I looked at some of these awhile back for a project. I just did not like the regular gear and overdrive combo on them. I preferred the low gear - regular combo of the red band Bendix.

So there are 2 versions of the Sram Automatix ? The Amazon link appears to be a freehub/no brake.And then a link to a CB version.

Yep, comes in coaster brake or no brake, and a couple of color options. The website shows a disc version too, but I've yet to see them for sale anywhere online. It also mentions SH Rollerbrake compatibility, but I haven't been able to confirm this.

Would like to find a 28h Automatix...anyone know where to get?

I don't believe SRAM is offering these in 28h, but IME, 28h is the most common flavor of the original Sachs Torpedo Automatic, upon which this new hub is based.

I looked at some of these awhile back for a project. I just did not like the regular gear and overdrive combo on them. I preferred the low gear - regular combo of the red band Bendix.

Really? I'd prefer to have the more robust direct drive for the high-torque situations, with the planetary gear being used for the lower-torque cruising situation. Less likely to make guacamole of the innards, that way. Different strokes for different folks, but the current crop of 2 speeds have settled on the direct/overdrive set-up. My best guess would be for reliability reasons.

Aber wollen Sie nicht die Iteration 28 Zoll? Der Link, den du gepostet hast ist für 20 Und 24 Zoll, SchweinHund!

(I only have a 36h Torpedo Duo--- the manual version.)

So there are 2 versions of the Sram Automatix ? The Amazon link appears to be a freehub/no brake.And then a link to a CB version.
I could use the no coaster brake version for my D1 project.

Really? I'd prefer to have the more robust direct drive for the high-torque situations, with the planetary gear being used for the lower-torque cruising situation. Less likely to make guacamole of the innards, that way. Different strokes for different folks, but the current crop of 2 speeds have settled on the direct/overdrive set-up. My best guess would be for reliability reasons.

Today it's easier to change cogs, and most people are not wedded to original chain rings. A screwdriver and you can swap the rear cog for anything that takes a standard set up. Also, I wanted to run the original 52 tooth chain ring, which meant picking up a lower gearing at the chain ring wasn't really an option. I had to pick up my lowering in the hub itself rather than on the cog-chainring combination (unless I wanted a really, really large rear cog). I've also found the red band Bendix to be a rock solid 2-speed with nice braking power to boot.

I've got the Dahon that won second place in the folder build off, again borrowed from my niece. Since I have 2 of the new hubs, the freewheel version will get put on this bike. I'll update how it rides in the busy traffic here, might be a month or two.

Well, got the wheels laced up by a local bike mechanic here and tried out the coaster on a Dahon Boardwalk. It has a 48 tooth chainwheel, so the gearing was just a touch too high for me, but the bike it's going on has only 46 teeth on the drive sprocket so it might be just right. I like where it shifts up, but I'm usually hauling something or cruising along easy. The coaster brake is outstanding, as good or better than the ones on the old Bendix yellow band. I purposely took a turn up a hill and it downshifted nice and smooth. It makes a click when you let off sometimes, but maybe that's just breaking in. Before I put it on my DNB, I'll open it to check the amount of lube. Overall, I rate it outstanding on this first ride.

52xlc9.jpg

5v6hy8.jpg

Latest posts

Back