Local Legislator: No One Should Ever Ride Bikes In Suffolk County

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Tell me your thoughts on what this local legislator said: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02...one-should-ever-ride-bikes-in-suffolk-county/

Here's the article if you don't want to click it:

"Local Legislator: No One Should Ever Ride Bikes In Suffolk County"

A teen from Long Island was prompted to contact a local lawmaker and call for the installation of bike lanes, after his mother was injured in an accident.

But as WCBS 880’s Alex Silverman reported, the boy and his mother were shocked when the legislator responded by declaring that no one should even be riding bikes in Suffolk County.

Sandy Cutrone was hit by a van on Montauk Highway in West Islip, and broke her scapula, last Sept. 19.

Cutrone said she could have died.

“My bicycle helmet was cracked in the front,” she said.

On Dec. 16, her 17-year-old son, Matthew, decided to write a letter to Suffolk County Legislator Thomas Barraga asking the legislator to consider the possibility of putting in bike lanes.

“My mom made sure she was doing everything right, she was wearing her helmet, and she was following the proper bike laws of the road,” Matthew Cutrone wrote. “One the day she was hit, she was biking on Montauk Highway, the traffic light was green, but because the driver must have been in a hurry he jumped the on coming traffic to make a left turn and hit my mother claiming he never saw her.”

Matthew Cutrone added that some have said his mother should have been biking on the sidewalk, but such an act is illegal under New York state law – and regardless, “she still would have been hit and it still would have been the driver’s fault.”

He said drivers are often unaware of laws for bicyclists, “and that is why I think there should be some sort of bike lane or maybe even just some warning signs to put around in certain areas so that drivers can know when to be careful of bicyclists.”

Barraga returned the letter on Jan. 29. He not only said bike lanes and signage would not solve the problem, but also declared that people should not be riding bikes in Suffolk County.

“I have lived in West Islip most of my life and my personal feeling is that no one who lives in our hamlet or for that matter in Suffolk County should ever ride a bicycle or motorcycle,” Barraga wrote. “I cannot tell you how many constituents over the year have told me that they are taking up bicycling for pleasure and exercise. I have told them not to do so but they usually do not listen – 90 percent of those people eventually were hit by an automobile, many like your mother with serious physical injuries.”

Barrage called Suffolk County “a suburban automobile community” and wrote that drivers expect to see other cars, but not bicyclists.

“Reality at time can be difficult for some to come to grips with but giving false hope would be inappropriate,” he wrote.

Sandy Cutrone could not believe what she was reading.

“I read it again, just to make sure I was understanding what I was reading,” she told Silverman.

She questioned in particular the apparent claim that 90 percent of bicyclists are hit by cars.

“Where is that statistic coming from?” she asked. “Where are you getting this from?”

Silverman asked Barraga the same.

“It’s predicated on my constituents who have contacted me over maybe a 30, 35-year period,” he said.

Barraga said there is no escaping that cars are dominant in Suffolk County.

“It’s a suburban county, and automobiles are all over the place,” he said.

Sandy Cutrone said she feels like she is being blamed for the crash.

“Almost essentially to me, it’s like saying, ‘It’s your mother’s fault because she was riding a bicycle in the road,” she said.

Barraga said that was not his intention.

“I certainly didn’t mean to imply in any way, shape or form that I was saying anything negative against his mother,” he said. “All I’m saying is that Suffolk County is a very, very tough place for bicyclists.”

Politicians are idiots!!!!

That guy is an idiot.

“I cannot tell you how many constituents over the year have told me that they are taking up bicycling for pleasure and exercise. I have told them not to do so but they usually do not listen – 90 percent of those people eventually were hit by an automobile, many like your mother with serious physical injuries.”

He even voted for the safe streets in Suffolk County
https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/com...y/CompleteStreetsResolution_suffolkcounty.pdf

And even wrote a letter asking for cycling/pedestrian study after 2 deaths last fall.
http://blog.tstc.org/2013/10/09/wednesday-winners-losers-40/

With some effort ,caring and expense the road could be made safer for all. It appears the good people of Suffolk County are an entitled lot who can't be bothered with concern for each other. Then again young folks like Matthew have been successful in bringing about change in the world by caring enough to speak up. I hope Sandy Cutrone is ok and Mr. Barraga gets a clue!

I thought occurred to me when I saw your title of this thread again,
Man, to have grown up and never felt the fun riding a bicycle.....send that jerk a bicycle! :)

Sad to admit that this is the quality of leadership we get in the northeast.
I could go on but I come to this site to get away from the lunacy of politics.

note: I do get involved with my local politics in hopes I can inject some common sense. I encourage all of you to do the same.

That being said, we are a "politic free" forum, I just thought this was good bicycle discussion.

I live in a city with no bike lanes and no bike paths, many times you will find me on the sidewalk for safety, though I always give foot pedestrians the right of way by hopping off the curb or riding in the grass.

I just looked up other NC laws for cyclists and found this brochure interesting, looks like you can't get a DUI on a bicycle here:

http://www.ncdot.gov/bikeped/download/bikeped_laws_guidebook-full.pdf

We don't have bicycle lanes in my town, so as a rule of thumb, if we're just cruising we ride the sidewalk. If I'm not mistaken though, its illegal? I know it's definitely illegal to ride a moped on the sidewalk.

Only time I ride the road on bike is when I'm going too fast and can keep up with slow traffic.

Also I believe it says somewhere around here if you're riding a bicycle in the road, ride into incoming traffic so you can see? Anyone know about that?

Sounds like its time for a huge group ride in Suffolk County ending at that bag of douches's office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't have bicycle lanes in my town, so as a rule of thumb, if we're just cruising we ride the sidewalk. If I'm not mistaken though, its illegal? I know it's definitely illegal to ride a moped on the sidewalk.
Only time I ride the road on bike is when I'm going too fast and can keep up with slow traffic.
Also I believe it says somewhere around here if you're riding a bicycle in the road, ride into incoming traffic so you can see? Anyone know about that?

I believe in Michigan, sidewalk riding laws are largely left to local ordinance and are most often applied in commercial districts (often applying to bicycles, skateboards)
As to riding facing traffic, all the states I know of require bicycles to ride WITH traffic and technically to comply with all traffic laws (stops, signaling, ECT) as you would on or in any other vehicle.
The lawmaker mentioned above showed his ignorance of the laws (and more likely a personal disdain for cyclists) in a way that his constituents should pay attention too and turn him out of office at the earliest chance.
As cyclists we should know the applicable laws and ride accordingly, to represent our activity as responsible adults.
Just my $.02 worth
Gizmo

You're not missing anything when it comes to bike lanes. They look a lot better than they actually function. They usually put them on streets that cyclists would do better just to avoid and then place them square in the door zone. Most of the time all they did was paint two extra white lines between the parking strip and the lane of traffic. You and the passing motorists were sharing the exact same space before they drew those lines.

I'd personally like to see municipalities designate "bike arterials" instead. They could designate certain residential streets "bike routes" and restrict motor vehicles to local residents only. It would help separate the two types of traffic and wouldn't cost more than some signage and maybe a few speed humps. I think it'd be an easy idea to sell to the residents too. Who wouldn't want less car traffic on their street?

Your ideas are sound, except....
Here in Floriduh, motorists feel slowed down they go into a murderous rampage. Iam not exaggerating! Cars have bumpers and everyone knows cars kill people!
I literally have had to dive off the SIDEWALK because a motorist was using it to jump parking lots. What did the grey hair say when I went back to make sure granny was allright, "-I will call the police on your nasty(the rest would get me banned)"
In this day an age we have to be smarter than motorists. That means, ride against traffic, jump to sidewalks, and follow life threateners to disable their...oh yeah can't do that!
Ultimately you are responsible for yourself, rideto live, not die.
I understand the senator, I do not agree. We can ride anywhere, cars are stuck on the street.

You're not missing anything when it comes to bike lanes. They look a lot better than they actually function. They usually put them on streets that cyclists would do better just to avoid and then place them square in the door zone. Most of the time all they did was paint two extra white lines between the parking strip and the lane of traffic. You and the passing motorists were sharing the exact same space before they drew those lines.

I'd personally like to see municipalities designate "bike arterials" instead. They could designate certain residential streets "bike routes" and restrict motor vehicles to local residents only. It would help separate the two types of traffic and wouldn't cost more than some signage and maybe a few speed humps. I think it'd be an easy idea to sell to the residents too. Who wouldn't want less car traffic on their street?

I have to disagree, proper bike lanes are a blessing and much safer. I feel lucky my city has a strong politically motivated bike community and the politicians listen. New safer lanes are being installed throughout the city and they have even been removing a traffic lane to install them. The goal was to slow traffic on bike thoroughfares to make them safer. Here is a photo of one of the new lanes being installed near our University.
1d470990d3b6a622873ac82c4635dc14_zpse1689f33.jpg

I've been to Suffolk County and through much of Long Island as I have in-laws who live there. Riding in the Hamptons is very pleasant among the multi-million dollar homes there. I noted that some of the domestic help also ride bikes to get to their workplaces along with public transportation so it is imperative for the county to make things easier for them.

I have to disagree, proper bike lanes are a blessing and much safer. I feel lucky my city has a strong politically motivated bike community and the politicians listen. New safer lanes are being installed throughout the city and they have even been removing a traffic lane to install them. The goal was to slow traffic on bike thoroughfares to make them safer. Here is a photo of one of the new lanes being installed near our University.
1d470990d3b6a622873ac82c4635dc14_zpse1689f33.jpg

It's a nice wide bike lane, but it would be much better if they put the little "divider" lane between the parking strip and the bike lane rather than the car lane and the bike lane. One of the biggest problems bike lanes have is that they're located in the door zone. When doors are opened on parked cars they suddenly block the bike lane without warning.

A buffer on both sides would be best, though if only one is available I would choose the traffic side. A lot more risk from moving traffic than the door crash. These new lanes are pretty wide and riders can create their own buffer from parked cars by riding near the buffer, which is the cleanest part of the lane. Here is a aerial view which shows the lanes.

e575d228fee9bf0660b1d1e611a08dc4_zps515cb8dd.jpg

Latest posts

Back