Local Legislator: No One Should Ever Ride Bikes In Suffolk County

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another showing a bike, notice he/she is near the buffer.

cbe725ac3a96055dfb685e014e46afa6_zpsaf7364b0.jpg

This is a new 2014 law in CA, should be throughout the US.
Bicycles: Passing Distance. AB 1371 (Bradford), known as the Three Feet for Safety Act, will require a motor vehicle driver passing a bicycle that is proceeding in the same direction to pass with no less than 3 feet between any part of the vehicle and any part of the bicycle or driver. When three feet is not possible, the motor vehicle must slow to a reasonable and prudent speed and only pass when no danger is present to the bicyclist. Failing to do so can incur a fine, regardless of a collision or not.

Here in Kokomo they put in bike lanes a few years ago but a year after they went in they also put in decorative planters in the middle of the street (Which EVERYONE complains about) and the bike lanes are now unsafe. There is barely enough room for a car and bike to get through side by side let alone a bus going by (Which we do have city buses now). I still ride on the sidewalks in that area to avoid getting hit or take a different route using alleys when weather is clear enough.

It's been an issue since the advent of the automobile and still even cyclists cannot come to a consensus. Despite laws that define where we are supposed to ride, we still argue to ride on sidewalks, against traffic and for separate lanes. A very good source for information (in the USA) is the League of American Bicyclists at http://www.bikeleague.org They recommend these five "Rules of the Road" for safe and responsible cyclists.
FOLLOW THE LAW
Your safety and image of bicyclists depend on you. You have the same rights and duties as drivers. Obey traffic signals and stop signs. Ride with traffic; use the rightmost lane headed in the direction you are going.
BE PREDICTABLE
Make your intentions clear to everyone on the road. Ride in a straight line and don’t swerve between parked cars. Signal turns, and check behind you well before turning or changing lanes.
BE CONSPICUOUS
Ride where people can see you and wear bright clothing. Use a front white light, red rear light and reflectors when visibility is poor. Make eye contact with others and don’t ride on sidewalks.
THINK AHEAD
Anticipate what drivers, pedestrians, and other people on bikes will do next. Watch for turning vehicles and ride outside the door zone of parked cars. Look out for debris, potholes, and other road hazards. Cross railroad tracks at right angles.
RIDE READY
Check that your tires have sufficient air, brakes are working, chain runs smoothly, and quick release levers are closed. Carry tools and supplies that are appropriate for your ride. Wear a helmet.
Again it's my $.02 worth but it has worked well for me in more the 40 years of on the road cycling.
Gizmo

Regarding sidewalks, I don't see any good reason not to ride on them at times, but when you ride on the sidewalks you should try to behave like a pedestrian and when you ride on the road you should try to behave like a car. It's just common courtesy not to blast down a sidewalk at 20 mph, but there are sometimes good reasons to ride on the sidewalk.

I can ALMOST see what the politician is trying to say, but he is an idiot. Just because cars are more numerous doesn't give them the right of way. In this age when many are trying to be more ecologically aware, and fuel costs still keep rising, politicians should be very understanding to bicyclists in general. I hope the story makes local news right around re-election time...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back