Spare Change

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Had this girls Higgins frame around for awhile and decided to scrap it for the seat post/bb. But while I was to the scrap pile here at the shop I had an idea an here it is. More pics to come, unfortunately I didn't take very many of the process as I only spent about 3-4 hours total on it an most of that was chain line adjustments.
tuvygege.jpg
a6usu4ej.jpg
aqu8u9y2.jpg
huzanuda.jpg

Rides pretty good, I wish the gearing was better. I originally bought the freewheels to run a 65 tooth ring that I no longer have. The tensioner was a bit of a pain, I used part of the derailleur of a mountain bike I robbed the wheels off of. It has no adjustment I vise gripped it in place until I had it running good in both directions and then welded it.

Sorry for my ignorance but what exactly is a retro direct setup?
Pedal backwards for low gear and forwards for high gear or the other way around, whichever you prefer. It uses two different size freewheels on the rear wheel, the chain comes over one freewheel and around then goes forward to a tensioner, around it and then back under and up around the second freewheel before returning to the underside of the front sprocket.

Luke.

Last edited:
Thanks for the lesson.

Panelman you built a sweet ride. Now that everything has been explained to me just makes ur build seem that much more awesome.

Latest posts

Back