Pricey

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
North Carolina ,small town called Rockwell
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fair amount of tools welder plasma air compressor two tool boxes full, the one thing I found out I need or could have used the other day was a Anvil like a blacksmith uses. Started thinking this when I found my self down on the floor trying to flatten a piece of metal so started looking around for one holy cow I found a few one 60lbs for $125 and a 100lbs for $275 ouch never thought they were that much guess I should find the Coyote and get the number for the Acme Company. I did however run across a guy up the street that has a Vise Anvil combo this thing weighs around 100lbs and is about 80 years old he said he would take $100 for it Hmmm might be the best deal. If any of ya'll use these or have pictures lets see um.

Chris,model-a

A hundred for a 100# anvil is good! But do not buy a Chinese one, they break!

Sorry it's 6:00 a.m. here and I don't have pictures of mine but I have a 100lbs. Vise anvil that I use. I bout it 4 years ago on a pick and I just about had to dig it out of the ground. It was frozen solid. Nothing on it would move, I got it home soaked it down in BP Blaster and media blast it, Got everything loosened up on it and repainted it. They thing has never let me down. I love it. I gave $10 for it. This past year I bought a small vise to mount to the counter top at a farm and tractor sale. I think it is a 25 lb. vice. but it was in the same shape. did the same thing to it and I think I gave $5 for it.
They are out there you just have to think outside the box as to where to find them. Garage sales, Estate sale, farm and tractor sale ect.
If you can wait it out just be patient and look around.
JKent

You might have some good luck looking around at estate sales. I have bought complete stand up tool boxes full of tools for under $100 at estate sales. $15 for a welder $20 for a media blaster. deals are out there.

If you have a torch and a grinder you can use a piece of railroad rail, there are a few how to's out there on the web.
I got a broken anvil at an antique mall for $15. (WHO breaks an ANVIL??) and it is fine for whatever hard hammering I need it for...but I really don't use it much for bike stuff. I am working on a fender roller for all the sheet metal parts but I don't see the need for an anvil. Especially with good ones going for $1 a pound or more.

You might have more use from some custom post dollys made from bar and rod stock.

Going rate for anvils are $2.50 - $3.00 a pound.

Wow...that much? I thought the last antique shop I saw with a $650 anvil was nuts but maybe that was a real price.. Then factor in damage and what it will take to restore a larger anvil to good condition for real world blacksmithing and they get pretty spendy....which is why mine is a broken one. (Although I do have a bunch of cutoffs from the scrap pile...)

My dad has about a 15" chunk of railroad track that he uses as an anvil. It always seemed good enough. Railroad track is surprisingly heavy and much bigger than you might think once it is sitting on your workbench. I'd estimate it stands about 6" high and that the base is about 5" across.

Railroad track, like anvils, are made of cast steel, way tougher than iron, and sold by the pound. Track is weighed by the foot.

Most standard rail weighs in at 90# to the foot. I've been looking for a small section myself--about 2-3 inch--to use for reshaping fenders. The stuff can be incredibly difficult to find...and too heavy to ship. There are actually long abandoned trolley tracks in parts our our city, and it's a nuisance. But, how could one ever get it out of the street?!

Got an 8" chunk of rail works for me

If it is near the RR you won't want to even think about it..... it is really a serious crime to the railroad to take their iron. You're better off buying a piece at the local scrap yard as small pieces do occasionally show up. Actually wanering around your local scrap place if they sell by the pound you might find all sorts of neat heavy steel to use to pound on. I picked up some farm implement axle steel, 3 inch square, that I cut on my power saw and it is perfect for flattening stuff on. I also use it in my press as a plate to press against.

I haven't tried a power hacksaw or horizontal bandsaw but I have a feeling the rail is too hard for it. You'll need an abrasive cutoff wheel to cut the steel or a torch.

Since you asked for pic's, here is what I did. Anvil stand that holds other things. opp's double post on the anvil.

I already have a smaller bench vise mounted to a bench, the English Wheel doesn't get much use soooo the anvil stays mounted and get's used often. Sorry about the double post, can't figure out how to delete pic's
Regards

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back