BUILD OFF #9 RULES EXPERIMENT?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be in favor of this experiment?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the biggest risk with one big group may be that AG builders will not be encouraged to give it all they have, they will try to play it safe to compete with the Traditional bikes. I know last year I for one was pushing myself to build the most extreme bike possible because it was Anything Goes...

Nothing wrong with having the focus on Traditional styled bikes, that is after all the main focus of RRB, but it was nice to have our own playground to push the limits, the other sites that cater more to the scratch/modify builder (UGV, Freak, etc.) are not family friendly, they encourage swearing and putdowns and that is why I am here and not there!

That is just the way I feel, and I respect the opinions of others, whatever is decided, that is fine by me, I am just glad to be a part of it.

Luke.

I will weigh my opinion on my very little time and experience (last year only, so I am still a "noob") with this wonderful event.

Seemed like everything worked fine last year.

However, since as I understand, the Rat Rod has no set "definition" or "standard", I think one all-encompassing category makes perfect sense to me.

Momma JATS

Still new here. This will be my 3rd year but one thing I have learned is we all support each other!!!!!! So if we do these rules, we will still have sub group awards I.E. the Nanner, the rustiest, most skulls, clunker, etc. etc. The overall vote is cool with me, I think that the best builds will win regardless!!!

Troy

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but i think we should simplify it even more. One big group, no rules, and no voting at all. If people want to make awards then make them. It would be a set timeframe like always, which is my biggest motivation. The reward would be to build a cool bike and make it into the finished gallery.

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but i think we should simplify it even more. One big group, no rules, and no voting at all. If people want to make awards then make them. It would be a set timeframe like always, which is my biggest motivation. The reward would be to build a cool bike and make it into the finished gallery.

Sounds like a fine idea to me, Mark. I only ever use the buildoff as motivation to get something finished in a timeframe as well.

Just a idea, considering we have a muscle build comp and a winter comp,we could have a kustom comp,:happy:. eww!!!! then a girls comp:praise::21:
or

Next to the name of the bike entry name just add a your section;
- Traditional(bike frames that have not been modified)
- Modified (bikes frames that have had small chops widen stays,gender bend, etc )
- Kustom (bikes frames that have been built from scratch or parts of.)
This way it allows people to see your build choice and for what it is...
eg:- "Angel'0'Death" - Kustom

And we could have a choice of 5 votes:113:

...the other sites that cater more to the scratch/modify builder (UGV, Freak, etc.) are not family friendly, they encourage swearing and putdowns and that is why I am here and not there!

that is simply not true. I participate in one of those two other sites. So I know about one and not the other but the one I visit has tremendously less "putdowns" than here. Here is where I see many more arguments over differences of opinion. the other site I visit is much more accommodating to various viewpoints than here. In fact as far as that goes RRB just made a thread asking people to chill out. as for family friendly I don't really see any families here just grownups just like the other sites. Again I am talking about just one of those sites. The other I know nothing about. That said, the lack of swearing here is a good thing.

I think we all need to worry about, how we going to beat Fordsnake (winner 2 years in a row) :113:
I'm going to :banana:my way to the top.;)

right on. I dig it.

Isn't that basically the 'Builds' section of the forum? The deadline would be useless unless it's a competition.

lemur-meme-generator-everybody-just-calm-down-1c5a00.jpg

863299.gif

Ironically, a lot of the members who are voicing all the complaints and comments in this and the other two threads regarding "Bonine" rarely contribute anything to "Builds". :confused:
This site does actually have some cool stuff to offer the other 9 months out of the year.;)
Imagine how much there would be to see if all of the people who keep trying to reinvent the buildoff and talking about what they plan to do or what others shouldn't do were actually doing something and posting regularly in "Builds".:cool2:
I entered the Muscle build this year,then realized half way thru winter thr was a winter build,even thou I built a bike within the time slot and documented it,I just had no internet.
But I should post it in the builds,so other people can get ideas.:thumbsup:
I just wish I had more $$$$$,to build all the time...
Pssst !!! Not complaining,commenting and twigglin my thumbs,just itchin to start....Also have nothing better to do on a not so sunny day...;)

Isn't that basically the 'Builds' section of the forum? The deadline would be useless unless it's a competition.
I said it wouldn't be popular lol. Really what you said is exactly my point. The deadline would be there to get you to finish a bike. It would make the focus more on building a cool bike and less about who did what or what do I need to do to win, just like the build section.

Last edited:
I understand the whole concept of building something cool that makes you happy, but I can't see how a no consequence deadline effects if you finish or not.

Also, if the only reason for entering an event is to motivate someone to finish with-in a given time frame, then the surrounding competition shouldn't be of any concern in regards to getting it done or not.

For example, lots of people enter marathons knowing full well that they will not win, however the motivation is there to finish where it might not be had they not entered at all. Then when it's done, they can simply ignore the placement results (but I'm betting they would still be curious and want to know how well they did;)).

I like the new rule proposition.

I also have to say I miss the days when perhaps finding inspiration and a least some of the parts was accomplished after 5/1. I enjoyed these things as part of a good, complete build thread. A photo sequence of a purposely pre-collected pile o' parts, primer, paint, finished bike, with dozens of thread bumps isn't a build journal that encourages my vote. I realize some people (like me) have a ton of stuff sitting around and it just makes sense to plan around stuff you already have, and you can't stop somebody from contemplating the next competition, but I think many folks here understand the spirit of what I'm getting at.

Face it, this build off started months ago... :rolleyes:

Renaissance Man- I definitely see what you are saying, I guess it's more of a matter of individual perception. For me the votes I get are pretty much of no consequence, so they don't motivate me. I think most of the best bikes I've done have been in the build section when my main competition is me. However, a deadline really gets me moving. Now that might be a side effect of being an illustrator and having deadlines always motivating me, lol. It's a cool discussion though.

My personal biggest enjoyment from the Build Off atmosphere is the camaraderie and support. The competitive part does drive me to push my limits both creatively and technically, but I have never approached a build off thinking if I don't place in the top 5 or top ten or top 20 then it's gonna be a failed build. None of us build for the prizes, because even though we pull together some pretty cool prize pots, they are still just token prizes compared to the effort of your build.

I like the simplified rules. Spend more time having fun building your bike and enjoying the other builds and less time worrying about what the other guy is doing or not doing that you don't like.

JUST HAVE FUN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back