Opinions on handlebars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get ape hangers for my Onyx but thought I'd try somethings first and would like opinions. Here's the stock bars.

Then I thought maybe flip them.

And this is a straight piece of pipe.

So out of them three, are any better looking than apes would be?

Or any other ideas for bars?

Thanks you.

I know the pipe is too long. But didn't want to bust out the sawzall with my 2 year old running around.

What are you trying to accomplish with the new bar set up? Different goals will bring about different strategies.

I know all the cool kids are flipping their bars so they can front boardtrack style, but let's face it: you have a riser stem with a little bolt-on elbow so you can change the angle, and you have it set up to be pretty high, but then you flip the bars to drop them low. To me, this is the same as putting on a winter coat inside your house because you don't want to turn the AC off in the winter. If you want the bars low, start with a negative or neutral rise stem. If you still want to flip'm, go for it... a least it won't look like your steering set-up has multiple personalities.

MY vote is for Wald 815 bars. Wrap'm in twine, rattle can the twine flat black, then put some shellac over it to keep the twine in place. OR, just run'm in the factory chrome with some grips. 815s look rad on bikes with big wheels and no shift/brake levers. They even look cool inverted on pretty much any stem, b/c they have little rise/drop.

It is the opposite of where you are leaning... but I would leave the existing bars, reign them back to a very slight, few degrees, upward tilt; then drop that adjustable stem to a very slight, few degree, downward tilt. But that's just me... ;)

Handlebars are really a personal preference, almost like asking what mattress is the best kind to sleep on. I had flipped bars on my cruiser and, while they looked cool, they were just too uncomfortable to ride like that. A slight 2 or 3" riser bar would look best in my opinion.

I never understood the fascination with ape hangers, they look like some kind of a torture device.

I just slapped them on there for an idea of what it would look like and some pics. Nothing is even tight yet since painting.

Ive just always liked the look of apes. But thought I'd try some other things before ordering any.

I've also always liked drag bars on motorcycles, so I tried the straight. Flipping it was just a why not try it. To me the bars don't seem to have the right shape for looking good whilst flipped.

I'm usually pulling my 3 year old in his trailer when I ride so speed isn't a goal.

Tomorrow I'll put the bars back the right way and mess with the riser part and see if I like it. I don't like the angle of them in the first pic. Too weird looking and feeling.

Thanks for the replys. I'll still thinking apes though. Not too tall.

That Wald 815 does look good too.

Latest posts

Back