Custom Diamondback "JOKER" ~~DONE, FINISHED, CONCLUDED!~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely got to use that D somehow Luke, maybe the tail end of the tank tube just in front of the seat post? Lovin it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely got to use that D somehow Luke, maybe the tail end of the tank tube just in front of the seat post? Lovin it :)

Oh yeah, that D is definitely going back on, it will go back where it was, just grafted into the top of the tank. Thanks for reminding me about it though, I had forgotten! :oops:

Luke.

Been thinking on various BMX freestyle ideas from the past and a keep coming back to the "Bashguard" a guard usually made with two tubes from the downtube under the bb and joining back on to the chainstays and then covered in an aluminium or nylon grind pad.

Haro Master:

13980387270_6e3f07c542_o.jpg

GT Aggressor:

14163712271_af6b7816f9_o.jpg

And of course the Diamondback version, the DB Tailwhip:

14167019455_8390f28156_o.jpg

Thinking I might incorporate one onto the bike, it already has the downtube geometry similar to the GT and DB bikes shown above...

What do you guys think? Am I taking the freestyle idea too far?

Luke.
I like it, go for it!

Thinking I might incorporate one onto the bike, it already has the downtube geometry similar to the GT and DB bikes shown above...

What do you guys think? Am I taking the freestyle idea too far?

Well if your still going with the "bomb proof" build idea then i think it should be included

Cool build Luke keep up the great work

Looking good so far, better not let my son see this or he will want me to try and build him a XL24, hope he stops growing soon or I will have to build him a bike based off some 32 inch wheels.

this bike keeps getting better the proportions are sweet!!!!

Troy

Yeah, bash guard = bombproof.
What would flow with the lines you have? Maybe something that matches the tank, like an inverted shark fin... hollow and tapered to the tip. I haven't seen that done before.

Carl.

Was not going to do anything today, no motivation to build, but heard some music that got me going so made some good progress!

Music here: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/bonine-beats.83695/

Progress here:

Cut a piece of tube as filler for the original seat tube hole and welded it in:

14183463704_1ea37b323e_z.jpg

After a clean up:

13996817138_150228a959_z.jpg

Then finally decided on a way to brace the seat tube, thanks to @Uncle Fide for reminding me I had the "D" piece from the original top tube!

13996806598_45b0113446_z.jpg

14183440804_d5dbe90081_z.jpg

Also finally decided how I want to treat the front section between the two tubes, it looked a little empty there, I had toyed around with finned plates, braces, re-profiling the tank, but I like the solution I finally came up with, looks tough! Still needs more welding/blending and clean up:

14183462645_9cc47a83da_z.jpg

So here is the frame as it sits tonight:

14183465385_da44af3ee9_z.jpg

Very tough looking now!

It is one tough little bike, so I am thinking of a name along the lines of "One tough little Joker"

Luke.

Thanks Guys, appreciate the comments! I am liking the bike a lot more now with the bar behind the headtube, it has evened out the proportions nicely.

Next will be on to extending the fork stem and fully welding the frame. I have ideas for both the bashplate and some custom BMX bars, but still undecided on them.

Luke.

Here is my idea for the bash plate itself, get one of those cheap rip-off Penny skateboards in black and use the kick and the back end of the deck for the skidplate itself, simply cut it to shape with a jigsaw and then sand the edges:

14170135986_0a7c637daf_o.jpg

14170174996_0029636f59_o.jpg

What do you think, it should work?

Luke.

Here is my idea for the bash plate itself, get one of those cheap rip-off Penny skateboards in black and use the kick and the back end of the deck for the skidplate itself, simply cut it to shape with a jigsaw and then sand the edges:

14170135986_0a7c637daf_o.jpg

14170174996_0029636f59_o.jpg

What do you think, it should work?

Luke.
that looks like it will work very well! would love to see it in a mock up though

Another idea for the bash plate, how about cutting a 3" wire strip of checker plate rolled into a curve a little larger than the chain and sprocket then bold onto the frame? Just a thought :)

Latest posts

Back