Shipping a bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch!

yeah that's why i never ship entire bikes its too much money to do so.
fed ex told me to ship a 20 inch bike with lestor mags 125 dollars
the bike was only 45 dollars.
so yeah no more bike shipping for me.

Does anyone else ever use Bikeflights?
I have shipped several bikes from Alabama to California for $65 - $80
A lot of times if you go through Fed Ex and use a full bicycle box it's going to cost a lot. But if you cut just a few inches off the length of the box it drops the price nearly in half. Weight usually isn't a factor it's all about the size of the box. but if you use bikeflights there is no cutting necessary. Before I started using BikeFlights I always shipped a balloon tire bike in 2 boxes, It was cheaper than trying to pack everything in one box and being charged for over sized freight. There are no worries like that with bikeflights . Now I get full size 29er boxes which are plenty big enough to pack a complete bicycle in one box and it cost a whole lot less. I would strongly suggest to anyone shipping a complete bike to check them out. It's very easy to use. Just put your shipping info in and take your dimensions and put them in and print your shipping label. You can even schedule a pick up if needed, and never leave your house.
For example I put this info in:
Ship from 35773 ( Toney, Alabama)
Ship to 92109 (San Diego, California )
Box dimensions, 59 X 9 X 33
Weight : 75 lbs.
Cost : $83
That box is plenty big enough to ship a complete balloon tire bike and weight is more than enough as well.
Here is another one. This is from San Diego, Cali to Ney York, NY.
That's coast to coast.
ship from 92109 ( San Diego)
Ship to 10007 ( New York)
Box and weight is the same s above.
Cost: $89.00
Just a thought!
But there are cheaper ways to ship.
And everything you ship though BF comes with tracking as well.
JKent

With USPS, keep the box 44" x 8" x 24" to stay under the huge price jump. A few years ago, i could ship a good cantilever frame with forks, handlebars, and everything except wheels for 18-20 bucks. Not any more. The price jumped last year. When a good old frame is worth 75-100 bucks, it's tough to add 35-40 bucks for shipping.

My neighbor recently mentioned shipping the butt end of an Austin Healy cross country (within U.S. as space permitted)by Greyhound because it was the most economical method he could source.
He then just had to drive from Toronto to Buffalo to pick it up.
This may be an option to check out. Get those doggies movin'...

Latest posts

Back