schwinn twinn tandem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going this weekend to look at a Schwinn Twinn. All I have seen is a not too clear picture. It is green. The seller says it is a 1977 model.The tires look like knobby Mtn bike tires. I hope the wheels have not been changed.The fenders are included , but not installed. Probably because they won't fit over the knobby tires. The seller says it needs only a chain to be rideable. Photos will be coming if I buy it. Thanks.

I had one of those once. Single speed, campus green. Storage was an issue, plus it was hard to find someone compatible to ride with. My wife was always trying to put on the brakes. My best partner was a 13 yr. old neighbor boy who was big for his age. We could really tear through the neighborhood. Sold it for $250. Gary

Haven't gone to see it yet but the seller sent me some more pics. A pair of chrome fenders were shown in the original photo. Obviously the wheels have been swapped. The wheels are probably junk. I can see missing spokes. I see a single gear on the back. I don't see a place on the top tube for the shift lever. Were some Twinns single speed or internally geared ? What size would the original wheels have been , 26 or 27? I don't see the chain idler. Could it be hidden behind the chain guard ? Anything else I'm missing that I should be looking for ? Thanks
Thanks.

Ok , I've looked at a bunch of pics of Schwinn Twinns. I see some with derailler type gears and some with single gears. I see some earlier (60s) models with what appears to be 26 x 1.95 tires and later (70s) models with skinny 26 x 1 3/8 or 27 x 1 1/4 tires. In the pics I posted , I believe the chain idler may be hidden behind the right side pedal. Not all the ones I see appear to have the rear drum brake. Did all of them have the drum brake on the rear? I like the looks of the larger wheels and tires. Should I consider building this one up like the earlier models. What an I not considering in doing so? Ctaccruiser, I may need to meet with you for some guidance here. Thanks

Ok , I've looked at a bunch of pics of Schwinn Twinns. I see some with derailler type gears and some with single gears. I see some earlier (60s) models with what appears to be 26 x 1.95 tires and later (70s) models with skinny 26 x 1 3/8 or 27 x 1 1/4 tires. In the pics I posted , I believe the chain idler may be hidden behind the right side pedal. Not all the ones I see appear to have the rear drum brake. Did all of them have the drum brake on the rear? I like the looks of the larger wheels and tires. Should I consider building this one up like the earlier models. What an I not considering in doing so? Ctaccruiser, I may need to meet with you for some guidance here. Thanks
There are single speed, 2-speed kickbacks, and 5-speeds. The single and 2-speed I believe are all middle weight 26" wheels. In the early 70s, IIRC, the 5speeds went to a light weight tire. All were 26". I agree, the idler seems to be behind the pedal. The 5 speed has the drum brake, and the others have a rear coaster.

In my honest opinion, I've had both single coaster and 5 speed drum, the 5 speed is the hot set up. The single coaster is kinda a dog especially if you have a lousy partner. With the 5 speed you can really get movin! They are a lot of fun though and I'm always in the market for one, never seem to be able to hold onto them as somebody always sees it and has to have it. The most recent I had was actually a mini twinn, the 20" stingray version, those are a lot of fun too.

Jon

Thanks guys. I guess making this one a 5 speed won't happen because I probably can't afford a drum brake hub for it . I'm thinking it will have to be a single speed. I'm trying to imagine two people riding a tandem with coaster brakes . That seems like it would be hard to do.Thanks again and keep the advice and comments coming please.

I've had 3 of them, paid $100 for a yellow deluxe model 5 speed
ray5.jpg

I traded it for these two... First a blue single speed that I sold for $100 as it sat
5L15Ie5Me3ne3Mb3Jbc3e792fb53fa1ad14c2.jpg

and this cool custom modded 3 wheel tandem trike with motor kit and 5 speed. (sold the motor kit as it was for $50 and the rest for $250) It was a storage killer but was a really fun ride.
5N95F65Md3M23I63Hbc3eebd71f2f907e1fe2.jpg

It's a done deal.Ctaccruiser and I went and got the tandem today. It was a 2 hour drive , one way. Thanks for riding shotgun Ctac.

We drove my 40 chevy sedan. The bike is a Dec 1971 model according to the numbers.

Latest posts

Back