its a huffy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spotted this for $25 don't have much money in my budget ATM but I'm loving how rusty and ratty this thing looks.
Thinking Schwinn but can't make out the shape of the head badge. EDIT: its a Huffy

una7yza9.jpg

Any idea the age / model on this thing?

From what I know its all original but the basket.

Sorry haven't been able to go look at it it to get a serial # or location or I'd probably have a good idea on the year already.

Last edited:
I dont' think it is a Schwinn. Chainring, guard, fork and frame are the clues. Looks like a Huffy. You should still be able to place a year on the bike with the serial.
Determining a Huffy's age requires two steps:
  1. The year of manufacture can be determined by the last digit of the serial number.
  2. Then you have to look for other characteristics to determine the decade of manufacture.

I was just starting to think huffy because the chainring myself.

Any idea on age? I'm thinking 60s

The quote from Oldroads may have meant to say "the first digit".

"Determining a Huffy's age requires two steps:
  • The year of manufacture can be determined by the last digit of the serial number.
  • Then you have to look for other characteristics to determine the decade of manufacture.
Example:
Your serial number starts with "5" .

The chain guard looks like the late 60's early 70's that Huffy used, so the first digit on the serial number is the last digit of the year it was made. I don't see a BMI sticker, so I'll guess late 60's, although they may have scraped the sticker off.

Think I'll be going to see it tomorrow. Couldn't get much info from the seller as they are at work & I'm about to head to work.

Went to look at the bike today and ended up buying it.
Its a Holiday (sold at holiday filling stations) Impala built by huffy.
It has city bicycle license stickers for 69-70 and 71-72.
The first digit is a bit hard to make out on the serial # but I believe its either a 9 or 0.
So its probably a 69 or 70 which matches the license stickers.

yby5u6yg.jpg

y6etuny7.jpg

vatyjuqa.jpg

pa8u5agu.jpg

uguby3u5.jpg

bubasara.jpg

That should be a fun project. With the original "Holiday" stickers/decals on there, I would be tempted to just smooth it down and spray a clear coat on it. Just add new chain,seat and tires. Cool bike !

I removed the front basket and gave it a bath before snapping pics.

Some places when wet are a beautiful deep red.

I'm thinking about giving the boiled linseed oil a try on this beauty.
Will the oil hurt the stickers / decals if I get it on them?

I'm planning to do bearings, chain, true wheels/ tires & tubes, and another seat.
I laughed a bit as what's left of the seat is one of my favorite older seats; I have another in great shape but it says Schwinn approved so probably going to find another that maybe looks a bit more used.
Also going to look for another pair of peddles as 3 of the 4 blocks are gone from these.

Latest posts

Back