Burn Baby Burn!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to not buy stuff and use what I already have in my garage.
This is the starting point. Girls Columbia Rambler which I have 3 of that are all exactly the same.
AKllu0r.jpg

Sooo...this is how it usually goes... I try a color scheme...end up hating it..which is what I did this time. Tried another color...hated that too. Then I was like okay I am not really even into this anymore :( Lost interest for several days... Then I had a huge bonfire in the backyard one night and thought Hmmm...I wonder what would happen if I threw this painted bike into the fire? I thought it might burn off some of the paint and leave a cool effect. So that's what I did.
Here it is.
9jJmxkL.jpg

vxa1lcq.jpg

T7IjCzz.jpg

brT1uVJ.jpg

Put on a satin clear coat to make it pop a little.
rNNI4wk.jpg

Have no idea what I'm going to do next but that's half the fun isn't it?

LOL,That was a great idea. Just make sure frame is still straight.
Forget the fork or waiting for anther fire?:rofl: Maybe you can find
a nice chrome fork for the contrast.Love the look:crazy:...Stevil

The effect looks cool but the length of time in the fire would worry me. I'm no metallurgist by any definition of the word but heating metal, especially super heating it, changes things like the rock hardness. It can become brittle.

The effect looks cool but the length of time in the fire would worry me. I'm no metallurgist by any definition of the word but heating metal, especially super heating it, changes things like the rock hardness. It can become brittle.
Well luckily this isn't going to be my stunt bike! I'll only be riding it to church on Sundays.;)

That looks so cool! I think if you let it cool on its own you'll be ok, if I remember correctly steel only gets brittle if you quench it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I subject bike parts to extreme heat often. For your purposes don't worry about any side effects!:)

Good point! I mean it is not like there is high tensile steel in these old frames! We quite happy weld grind and bend on them, so for normal use you would think it should be fine!
Certainly looks cool!

Luke.

So CeeBee, did you got that fork to talk or what? :blackeye:
If I were a church guy, I would definitely ride a burned bike there... "been to heck and back, so did my bike :rockout: :banana:

on my many travels I have herd of such things as bonfire bikes,some say it burns the soul so a new darker one may enter and a new darker bike shall rise from the ashes with a lower stance to spread its...its...yer I lost the plot,for best effect take whole bike remove tyres and grips an proceed to burn,regrease add brick tyres leather grips clear coat stretch new tanned hide over the burnt spring seat,sounds like a future build,anyway love the idea,primer red parts with a bit of patina I think would look nice

Loving the comments! It may be awhile before I get back to this bike though. Classes just started and I need to concentrate on my studies. Meanwhile...I will be thinking of what type of fork for this bike? Do I want to use a crusty old one or buy a shiny chrome one for contrast? Decisions... decisions.....

That looks so cool! I think if you let it cool on its own you'll be ok, if I remember correctly steel only gets brittle if you quench it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well let's hope none of the three beers got in contact with it!:21:

As far as riding it to church all burnt up... They might get the wrong idea and start to question who ya been hanging out with!:rolleyes:

Well let's hope none of the three beers got in contact with it!:21:

As far as riding it to church all burnt up... They might get the wrong idea and start to question who ya been hanging out with!:rolleyes:

:bigboss: Now see here mister, I would not waste good beer. Not even for a burning bicycle.

Latest posts

Back