(WBO) A reasonable facsimile thereof

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can you cut and weld to extend the stem you have?

yes I could, but I don't want to do anything extreme because I may not like the way it rides. I only have a 230 volt AC Miller stick welder and wouldn't feel comfortable with my weld to hold a stem together to hold up to a drop landing from 2 feet. A frame breaking from my poor welding would probably be more survivable than a broken stem. If I like it I will eventually find a fork with brake pegs for more powerful brakes and a bigger stem and a better rear wheel and cog. The fork I am using comes from a Huffy 18 speed road bike with 26x1 3/8 wheels. Because I have 2 of these blue frames I thought about grafting on an extension to the rear triangle and changing the angle of the rear triangle but because of its heavy weight it is not worth a lot of modification. The bike weighs a ton so I am going with minimal effort. As in the picture it weighs 28 pounds, thats two pounds more than my $400 Bikes Direct Motobecane road bike. My wife's carbon road bike makes the Motobecane feel like it is made out of lead. It may fail miserably or it may be something I like enough to improve on?

i bought a 1/8 to quil adapter so i could use any 1/8 thredless stem i wanted on a beach cruiser with 1 inch threaded forks

Maybe this is longer than anything you have (10")
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/sunlite-steel-touring-stem-for-1-22-2mm-quill

57614__12841.1409745734.1280.1280.jpg

or this one at 8 1/2" long
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOUNTAIN-CR.../291334861793?pt=US_Stems&hash=item43d4e933e1

a11f_12.JPG

My rules for this build were stated in my first spot. I am not allowed to buy anything, I have to use what is in my scrap trailer or my parts bins. We are going biking in the UK in May and we want the whole trip paid for in advance. I will bend my rules if I see a cheap bike with parts I can use at a local thrift store before the April WBO deadline. I really don't think I will find much if anything as the thrift stores don't get many bikes in the winter. I probably won't do much more on this bike as it is maxed out with the parts I have. I don't know what paint colors I have , I might be able to find a can of something for the fork? Most of my spray paint cans are ruined as they are outside in the garage. I usually can't find a spray head that works after everything freezes anyway.

I got no chain. I looked at home and I purged all my chains in some earlier cleaning frenzy. All I have is several short pieces in two finishes. I'll have to go to camp and raid my scrap trailer and look for coaster chains from all my 20 inch bikes. I think I'll have to make one out of several as I cut my 20 inch bike chains with a bolt cutter. I hope I can find them amongst the snow, yard waste, car parts and bike parts. It will be early next month before I get to raid the scrap trailer.

I think it will have to go back to the front 20 inch wheel. It would be standing straight up in a climb with that big front wheel. I still want to try and ride it with the 26 inch front. 24 inch on the front would be better especially since I think a 24 inch wheel could be made to fit on the rear. The cross braces would have to be removed and the rear triangle spread. With the small front sprocket it should clear. I wish I had saved my 24 inch stuff. I have some white spray paint and I am thinking about spraying the front 26 inch fork white. So far I have not purchased anything.

Hope you have access to a warm well ventilated place to do painting.
I was stripping off all the sticker cement from my build with "Goof-Off"
and thought Id blow myself up by the woodstove.:eek:.

Was sunny and not too cold Friday (out of the wind) so did my nastiness outdoors. Don't have anywhere to paint though:p.

Hope you have access to a warm well ventilated place to do painting.
I was stripping off all the sticker cement from my build with "Goof-Off"
and thought Id blow myself up by the woodstove.:eek:.

Was sunny and not too cold Friday (out of the wind) so did my nastiness outdoors. Don't have anywhere to paint though:p.
I go out by my wood shed where I have shoveled. I spray the frame after it and the paint have warmed by the wood stove. I hang it for 20 minutes and then bring it inside and hang it from the shower rod. After a few days I put it by the wood stove. It doesn't result in a very good job, but it can be done.

Last edited:
yeah me too... out of my dry basement into the cold garage for paint. As soon as it's just tacky it comes back in to hang in the basement to dry. Luckily I have straight shot, just a half flight of stairs from garage to basement.

Carl.

On my way back from exercise class I stopped by the bike shop and they had a set of Atom French pedals in 1/2 inch that they had tossed because one dust cover was missing. An old nylon dust cover from one of my junk mountain bike cranks is a perfect press fit with the old rubber mallet. Painted the cover silver and I have a nice pedal set for the bike from free parts I am building. I got a chain and a larger stem from my junk trailer at camp. My daughter came to visit and her puppy ate one of my grips so I am not sure what free solution I can come up with for this. I have a lot of grips but none are as nice as the puppy food. He also ate some of the Christmas lights, several pens, and anything else he can get a hold of. What a pest. On the home stretch.

Last edited:
My daughters came to visit and her puppy ate one of my grips so I am not sure what free solution I can come up with for this. I have a lot of grips but none are as nice as the puppy food. He also ate some of the Christmas lights, several pens, and anything else he can get a hold of. What a pest. On the home stretch.

Ha! we got a new puppy last fall. He is a Teddy Bear/ Poodle mix.
He chewed/wrecked a set of (new) earbuds, a nice set of mountain bike grips, and the strainer from our downstairs shower drain. He "targets":android: something (like the grips and the shower drain screen) and goes after it repeatedly till it is destroyed.:mad: Finally seems to have outgrown it @ 9months!:p

Latest posts

Back