The Best Floor Pump?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Can anyone suggest a good floor pump? I really need one that'll air up Schrader and Presta Valves. But I'm not against just having two different pumps for each use.
I did have a Bell Air Attack 500 I got from Walmart. I've only used it a few times but now it won't air up presta tubes anymore. Air only blows from the Schrader hole. Very frustrating.
I need something reliable that'll always be ready when I need it. Under the $100 range.

i saw a floor pump at home depot fro like $10 cheaper than the zefal one i have
my pump works ok but i do have an electric pump

... Sometimes those automatic sensing heads cause trouble.
http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/JoeBlowSport

Yeah, I never had an issue with an EVA head, but i understand some folks have. No big deal, though; SKS offers 4 different heads, or you can run whatever head you want. If i ever have to replace my pump's head? http://shop.mashsf.com/products/hirame-pump-head-yoko

It's good that Topeak is offering a lot of replacement parts for the Joe Blow. Sure is a lot of plastic, though....

Last edited:
Not to get all complicated with different expensive ones. I needed a pump and I walked into Target a year ago. There were five different pumps. there. range from 7.99 to 27.99. The most expensive Bell pump was taller and had a Gauge on the top so that I could see the pressure. I went for the 27.99 one. I never had a problem. I use it all the time in the summer, I Do take care of it though. I wrap it in a rag and place it on the shelf. Best manual pump I ever had.
Then I needed a 12 V pump one time. I went into Harbor Freight. There were several choices. I looked at all the plastic ones. Then I picked up a Cast Metal one. It was 29.99, But I had a coupon for discount. I purchased it. Loved it and then bought two more. I keep one in every vehicle. They come with adapters for all kinds of applications and a black cloth case.
I am not a person who buys the most expensive brand name and I never buy the cheapest ones. Sometimes you just have to think about these things. For example I can buy 4 of these for the same price as I can get a more expensive Brand name killer product. But Do I Really Need the Top Shelf Item? I have been lucky and I know I have gambled a bit. But the end story is have more money in my pocket and I made a choice that worked for me . My bike tires always have air and I keep riding.

Can anyone suggest a good floor pump? I really need one that'll air up Schrader and Presta Valves. But I'm not against just having two different pumps for each use.
I did have a Bell Air Attack 500 I got from Walmart. I've only used it a few times but now it won't air up presta tubes anymore. Air only blows from the Schrader hole. Very frustrating.
I need something reliable that'll always be ready when I need it. Under the $100 range.

Have you considered buying a brass Presta adapter, since you already have a working pump? You can usually find the adapters for a dollar or two. My pumps at home can all be switched from Schrader to Presta by inverting the little doughnut inside, but I find the adapter to be just as easy and more reliable.

At the bike co-op, we go through dozens of pumps used by hundreds of patrons--the Joe Blow usually gets the nod.

I've got plenty of old air pumps..like antiques. Would it be worthwhile to just refurbish those?
Anything old and quality is usually better than anything but the best available today, but old pumps may not be able to push the higher pressures needed for modern road tires, as they were not designed for it, it may depend on the model and it's capabilities more than the age...

Luke.

Anything old and quality is usually better than anything but the best available today, but old pumps may not be able to push the higher pressures needed for modern road tires, as they were not designed for it, it may depend on the model and it's capabilities more than the age...

Luke.
Yeah.. because my singlespeed used 80-90 psi

Silcas are beautiful pumps, but it looks like they're trying to stay firmly in the ultra-high end these days. Still, you can't beat a totally serviceable/rebuildable pump with 100% parts availability and a leather plunger....so nice.

I am 99% sure I will be Dead by the time my $24.99 pump breaks down. Lets see. That saves me 425.01. Hmmm or equal to fun doing something else with the money. At least Ill go out with a smile on my face :dance2:

Latest posts

Back