Alternative De-rusting Agent?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have any of you folks tried using this stuff for rust removal? Apparently, it's been all the rage among vintage car restorers for the past several years. The rumor is it can be cut by 10:1 and still be extremely effective. Assuming no one else reports a bad outcome, I may just take-one-for-the-team once warmer weather arrives.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/dairyland-milkstone-remover--acid-rinse
101_1309.jpg

Sterosol contains phosphoric acid, probably the best chemical rust remover known as it creates a protective layer of iron phosphate crystals on the derusted part. I use cheap diet cola and animal feed molasses as both contain phosphoric acid and are quite cheap, but not as cheap or as concentrated as Sterosol. The local dairy about a mile from my house has this but I never tried it. I think I will pick some up next time I go for a malt.
Rusty seat

Molasses dip

After 2 months of dipping in molasses with iron phosphate crystals protecting the steel. The concentrated Sterosol should work faster. Don't let any metal parts touch each other or it will eat a depression where they touch. Don't discover this the way I did.

Last edited:
That's very encouraging. I've used vinegar recently and got positive results, but slowly. By all reports, this product sounds like a good prospect...and affordable.

I use citric acid powder. It's a food grade preservative and 100% safe. It comes in a powder form and you mix 1 cup per 1 gallon water. Put in your rustiest crud and it's gone in 24 hours. You can keep using the batch until it just gets too nasty, then dump it anywhere (though I usually recycle it with my used coolant/anti freeze. Oh yeah, and it's cheap! 10lb bags for like $20 on ebay will last you years.

I got a 10 pound bag of oxalic acid powder, cheap on the net but it takes the chrome plating off as fast as the rust so I am not that impressed with it, vinegar worked better for me. I have tried it on two projects. I also got a 2 pound bag of phosphoric acid powder on the net for cheap but it works slow. I want to try the phosphoric acid a few more times. I want to make it more concentrated to see what happens. So far vinegar and citric acid are as good as any I have tried. I'll post if the phosphoric acid powder is worth messing with.

I got a 10 pound bag of oxalic acid powder, cheap on the net but it takes the chrome plating off as fast as the rust so I am not that impressed with it, vinegar worked better for me. I have tried it on two projects. I also got a 2 pound bag of phosphoric acid powder on the net for cheap but it works slow. I want to try the phosphoric acid a few more times. I want to make it more concentrated to see what happens. So far vinegar and citric acid are as good as any I have tried. I'll post if the phosphoric acid powder is worth messing with.

I recently used oxalic acid powder (sold as Wood Bleach) to remove rust from small paint chips and dings on a steel bike. I made a diluted solution and dipped the whole frame overnight. The rust was gone and there was no other damage to the paint, clear coat or decals. Thanks for the warning about the chrome but I may have to check this out for myself. There are always forum members asking "how to remove rust" on purpose. You might have something here!!!!

I recently used oxalic acid powder (sold as Wood Bleach) to remove rust from small paint chips and dings on a steel bike. I made a diluted solution and dipped the whole frame overnight. The rust was gone and there was no other damage to the paint, clear coat or decals. Thanks for the warning about the chrome but I may have to check this out for myself. There are always forum members asking "how to remove rust" on purpose. You might have something here!!!!

Several times with oxalic acid I got a green coating on my steel parts after the rust was gone and I could not remove it so I have given up on Oxalic acid. Someone said that a power washer removes the green but I don't have one. So far the best I have found is phosphoric acid, but you have to leave it in for a week +- depending on the temperature. If I am in a hurry I use diluted Muriatic acid, cheap and powerful. I use Muriatic acid on wheel rims, seats and other small parts. I have been dipping my frames in phosphoric acid. I use a large jet sled for dipping and in the winter I use it to haul firewood.
Here is a photo with a Schwinn tandem frame in it. Room for 2 or 3 frames at once.

Last edited:
Always open to new derusting method, I also restore cars. Just got a new can of wood bleach oxalic acid.
Tried these - Evaporust, vinegar, molasses, electrolysis, driveway cleaner, muratic acid.

Let us know the results.

For small parts i use a large crock pot on warm w vin. Smells awfull but effective.
Dont plan on use it for anything else again after

Latest posts

Back