Felt Bicycle Pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been doodling some new bars last few weeks to go on my felt rad baron with the deep 6 frame, came up with these, had them made today, almost finished, just some tidying up to do then gloss black powdercoat to finish, think the bracing I had fitted goes with the theme of the drilled metal panels on the deep 6 frame admirably don't ya think!

Last edited:
This is a great question. I have a Slater (my "she's the bomber" polished bike) with no weld. I have not known them to be any other way. I also have what used to be a Kingpin (my "thunder star" bike) and it has no weld either. I have never known those to be another way. A lot of very creative people get a hold of the frames and can grind that weld seam to perfection and you would never know that it was there. It looks like Dezzie is in the know on this one.

- by Gigmata

Last edited:
? I know nothing fella, this is my first felt, has no weld on the top of the frame, first felt i have seen in the flesh so i cant help, sorry!

Here's an example of a factory 1903 aluminum frame. With the weld seam.
image.jpg

And don't get me wrong, it doesn't bother me, I'm just very curious as to why you would see them like that? I didn't know if the Felt factory maybe changed them in between years. Or maybe the early ones had the weld, and later ones without.

So it's called a "Slater" style frame......Thanks. I just learned something, I appreciate your input. I'"m looking forward hearing anybody's thoughts on it just for fun.:39::)

Its on my to do list when i find one suitable, i was going to have one made to match my new bars but he does not stock the correct tube size, aftermarket ones are pricey or too short so its an ongoing search in the UK we get 10% of the options you guys in the states get at higher prices so its a waiting game.

Way out of my price range at the minute, love those posts, also was goinf to do the girvin fork thing but even second hand cost fortunes in the UK, then add the price of refurbing, powdercoating etc etc I may as well buy new forks that fit instead, bars are from Electra, I took them off my Rallysport, they are comfy but I wanted something more exclusive so came up with a few designs, you should have seen the ones I was going to get built but they would have cost fortunes, similar to ones I am getting built but with a ww2 machine gun sight welded in between the uprights, but they cost loads on there own so gave it a miss, but could build it into my new bars at some point when I have more cash, I must admit I dislike the nexus 3 speed, my electra singlespeed is nicer to ride and can get further and faster on it than the 3 speed, but if I decide on some wider rims I will get a different hub installed, maybe 7 or 8 speeds or one of the nu vinci n360 hubs, it will be my long distance cruiser hopefully and I need to be able to get up some hills!

Way out of my price range at the minute, love those posts, also was goinf to do the girvin fork thing but even second hand cost fortunes in the UK, then add the price of refurbing, powdercoating etc etc I may as well buy new forks that fit instead, bars are from Electra, I took them off my Rallysport, they are comfy but I wanted something more exclusive so came up with a few designs, you should have seen the ones I was going to get built but they would have cost fortunes, similar to ones I am getting built but with a ww2 machine gun sight welded in between the uprights, but they cost loads on there own so gave it a miss, but could build it into my new bars at some point when I have more cash, I must admit I dislike the nexus 3 speed, my electra singlespeed is nicer to ride and can get further and faster on it than the 3 speed, but if I decide on some wider rims I will get a different hub installed, maybe 7 or 8 speeds or one of the nu vinci n360 hubs, it will be my long distance cruiser hopefully and I need to be able to get up some hills!

I wasn't a big fan of the 3 speed on my MP, so I swapped it out for a Shimano 8 speed. Completely different bike now, I'm glad I did it. It's faster and I can climb any hill.

I was able to spread the rear triangle by hand when I put it in. The 8 speed isn't that much wider, just enough to be snug. Might be a little tougher on an aluminum frame, so measure twice, as they say.

Latest posts

Back