Wrap around or street sweeper rear fenders...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Stupid question Rev. 7.125... "Wrap around fenders, how the..."
What are most people doing to accommodate wrap around rear fenders, or I guess some call them street sweeper styled, the ones that wrap around to almost the ground? I have a welder who says he can butt weld the fenders, but then I'm thinking, changing a flat could be a real pain in the butt with the fender in one piece.
So I've been brought to the oracles to seek wisdom and/or suggestions...

Take your original fender and rotate it around to where the lower tab locates on the seat stay brace. Then cut a lower piece out of another fender, then attach them where they overlap on the brace. At least, that is the easiest way I know.

That would be my solution, too. Two pieces--conceal the joint at the brake bridge. Any way you slice it, tire changes are going to be a PITA. Use quality items...especially tubes...and consider adding tire liners (aka Mr. Tuffies). The best flat is the one you avoid entirely. Vertical dropouts would make wheel removal easier, but they tend to create other hurdles.

So this has nothing to do with your question but I haven't been on the forum that long & trying to figure out start a thread Was thinking of joining in the 10th annual bike build & not sure how to navigate this forum yet
91758f2a41e6879a8d15e0bedcba681f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this has nothing to do with your question but I haven't been on the forum that long & trying to figure out start a thread Was thinking of joining in the 10th annual bike build & not sure how to navigate this forum yet

91758f2a41e6879a8d15e0bedcba681f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to Forums. Select the forum you want to post in. Select the gray button at the top, Post New Thread. Have at it.

Thornproof tubes and Mister Tuffy will intercept most of your potential flats. If you run over a box nail you are just going to have to take the fender off, so plan ahead! Maybe a wing nut on the brake bridge?

Thornproof tubes and Mister Tuffy will intercept most of your potential flats. If you run over a box nail you are just going to have to take the fender off, so plan ahead! Maybe a wing nut on the brake bridge?

Good points, fine sir.

I've been thinking about this for a while, I have a cruiser I want to put street sweepers on, I've even bought (2) sets of steel Wald fenders for said purpose...but haven't been fiddled with it yet.

I've been mulling over some kind of "quick release" system, to facilitate removal of the rear "section" of the fender set up for easier access to the tire...

The fender metal is flexible and easily (mostly) bends to let wheel in and out. At least that has been my experience. I have used JB Weld to attach the fenders and then smooth out the joint.

I'm doing a street sweeper now...love the look. Don't really care about flats for the time being as cool trumps function...ask the guy who welded a shotgun to his bike!
Anywho, lots of welding, grinding body filler and paint at the moment.

Barto

I'm doing a street sweeper now...love the look. Don't really care about flats for the time being as cool trumps function...ask the guy who welded a shotgun to his bike!
Anywho, lots of welding, grinding body filler and paint at the moment.

Barto
that is a sweet idea!! would love to see that shotgun bike if you have pics I agree cool does trump function

I haven't welded the fenders together yet my last attempt failed miserably but what I just did was reposition the fender so the bottom brackets mounted on the brake mount area behind the seat an swapped the bracket with longer ones.
they are low but also function well enough where if I get a flat the tire can be removed with ease they look cool and function well
sean

that is a sweet idea!! would love to see that shotgun bike if you have pics I agree cool does trump function
Go to gallery under the forum section. The last post was April 23. One of the coolest and creative bikes (amongst many on this site) , very inspiring as to what can be done with a bike. Wish I had this types of skills!

Barto

Hmmm, apoligies... I did check just to make sure it was still there. Anyone have a better way of finding the shotgun bike? For sure deserves a look.
As far as the Vespa Anti Tank, holy smokes. I pent 24 years in the military including two tours and fired just about everything....not sure I would want to fire this on this one...riding or not☺

Love the anti-tank Vespa, and i'm glad slowriderz was able to find the shotgun bike, but my search turned this up, and i found it fascinating.
4225dd17cccf319ca8b231776c9f8fe3.jpeg

Latest posts

Back