Yard art?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all came apart. The pedals were the worse. I thought the seatpost tube was going to bend in the bike stand but eventually with much body weight bouncing they came loose. The fork tube had rags stuffed in them. I have run into this before. What are people trying to do? There was a nut, bolt, washer and steer wedge jammed in along with rags in the stem. All this came out when I pounded in a steel rod from the bottom of the fork tube. The skip tooth chain was beyond repair so I gave the New Departure hub, chain and skip tooth sprocket to the Revolutions youth bike program as a teaching aid. Tonight they are going to talk about drive lines. The original paint was of a low quality as it all came right off with aircraft paint remover. That stuff won't touch the black hand dipped paint on old English bikes. The frame looks cool as there is a lot of brazing all over the steel tubes and it gives it a nice look. I might just leave it like this. The original crank is kind of elegant looking with a tapered end to the pedal. Too bad it is bent at the narrow point, the previous owner must have caught a pedal. The crank is unusual as it measures 7 inches center to center instead of 6.5. I have laid it out along side a 6.5 inch crank to show the difference. Some pre WWII Schwinn bikes had 7 inch cranks. Some BMX cranks are 7" but I don't recall one on one of my old cruisers?

Last edited:
Looks Westfield (Columbia) to me.
Early Westfield bikes had serial no. on the bottom bracket. Later ones on the drive side rear dropout. You will have to strip the paint off on the dropout to see the no. The chain ring is Columbia, but the frame may be something else.

Latest posts

Back