What toys did you have as a kid ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scored a GoBots from 1985 with the box at Goodwill yesterday, pics to follow later. Anybody remember those?

Yep. I just found one of mine from back in the day.

If your from this era, check this out, its hilarious.

Other cool ... toys from bitd:
spinja's or whatever the heck those things were that you put into a little launcher and they were like battling character tops in a sloped ring.

Old board game from the early 90s that I cannot find anywhere called Hero Quest, basically a less rules DnD clone. Had an awesome assortment of minifigures I painted up.

And Voltron. The Lion one, not the stupid sissy vehicle ones. Been watching that on Netflix. My goodness did the animation suck!

MY ORIGINAL 47 TOPPER JOHNNY LIGHTNINGS 1969 TO 1971

Bought a new black wall mounted glass door display case and upgraded until all of the 47 cars are now in near mint to mint condition
000_00066_zpskmqxlubm.jpg

My True Mirror Finish El Camino Is My Best Car, But It's In The Least Condition Of All Of My Vintage Topper Johnny Lightning Redline Cars...
000_0013_zpsbmanzsvt.jpg

"It's still worth about $250.00" More than any of the other cars which are mostly Mint condition...

It may well be a Hot Wheels World but, It's surely a Johnny Lightning Universe

Last edited:
Did anyone else have a Monster Magnet?

I remember having one of these giant fingers that had a trigger operated suction cup for a ball.
stfinger.JPG

Bump for this cool thread.
Did anyone else have a Batman Utility Belt?
My favorite part was the Batarang
6a0120a85dcdae970b019b00073b4b970b-800wi.jpg

This is an awesome thread. I'm an 80s baby and I still have my teddy Ruxbin and my buddy dude haha. I remember in the early 90s I was watching poltergeist even after being told not to and was so scared and my teddy ruxbin shorted out cause the batteries and it started talking gibberish and moving, I spent the rest of the night asleep in the bath tub lol. I also still have my .... Tracy detective set that was released in the 90s with the cartoon series. The toys my kids get now are horrible. I compared the new ninja turtles to my late 80s early 90s turtles and the quality is so different.

Anyone else make their own toys? So you don't get the impression I was some broke kid who grew up with a dirt floor (not that there's anything wrong with that) I had the usual 80s stuff: Legos (before they were all movie marketing tie-ins), Transformers, Star Wars, etc., but I also made my own line of war toys.

They were number and letter figures about the same size as regular figures (but made of pipe cleaners) that fought each other with guns and weapons from Gi Joes or whoever and vehicles made of discarded stuff. I got the idea for the fighting "numbers" from some old cartoon with an ADD kid in math class (before they called it ADD) whose imagination starts running when called up to the black board to solve a math problem.

The main vehicles were those plastic pantyhose eggs with the clear plastic fat end. The clear end was the canopy opening and windshield and I made seats for the pilot and gunner (if it was a ground attack 2-seater that had a flexible gun sticking out the front center of the canopy, but most were single seat "fighters" with fixed external guns because I didn't have to worry about breaking the plastic when trying to drill the gun hole). The nubs on the outside of the egg were directional thrusters that allowed it to maneuver and hover in the absence of external aerodynamic surfaces and the indent at the narrow end of the egg was the outlet for the main thruster. They were powered by matter/antimatter collision engines and, if they took a direct hit, they would be completely obliterated by the uncontrolled reaction (I used to watch Creature Double Feature and they had this movie—"The Claw", I believe—about a giant bird from outer space that attacks the earth and had an antimatter force field, so this is where I "learned" my science). Having them completely obliterate allowed me to reuse them more easily, though since they were made of discard, I felt free to destroy them in gun battles and transfer the other parts to new eggs. There were other vehicles, but I'm sure I wrote way too much already! And this is why I don't put my real name on this.

I just remembered the Deals Wheels models with the cartoonish fat tires.
I had the Swine Hunt one like this
swine-front.jpg

My brother built the Go Mad Nomad like this one
14957029811_e1a8c8cf51.jpg

But my favorite one that I built was The Baron like this
the_baron_2_007.jpg

Last edited:
Here is another cool Johnny Seven gun. This one is a Secret Sam
The pistol can even shoot bullets from the attache case.
secret11811581_10153462750224876_8444889621308632712_n.jpg

I got a GI Joe the 1st year they hit the market...A Marine. I now have a very small GI Joe collection but have often wonder what happened to the one I had as a kid

OK, I didn't have these as a kid but I have a really nice collection of lead soldiers called Barclays and Moniols. These are dime store (small locally owned stores selling convenience items) toys for kids that date back from appx the 30's to the 50's. There are also cowboys & Indians, knights and even civilian figurines available however my interest in in the military.
I set the display up as an Army Battalion would be situated with the medical and Headquarters on top (the rear) while the infantry are on the bottom (front lines). I have figurines, tents, aviation, communications sand bags and wha t is considered a wire fence
20150812_173947.jpg

Latest posts

Back