MBBO #04! Voting time!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a special order tire in today for my build, think I have almost everything needed now, just need a little more 7/8 tubing for the handlebars...

20716269402_0251a6cddd_z.jpg

20537568980_96b1296bdd_z.jpg

Bring on Sept 1!

Luke.

I have a 78 Mongoose Motomag frame. Someone decided it needed a kick stand so they welded a bracket on. I am not destroying a national treasure to get that out of the way. I am thinking of revisiting early bmx but in reverse. Lots of converted stingrays and Huffys when I was a kid. The conversion was getting rid of the slicks and the fenders and the banana and the ape hangers. How about I added those things to a period BMX frame?
Slick, 5 speed, 26" skinny on long stretched out forks. Without changing the frame, except maybe removing the kick stand bracket.

I'm in on this. Im a prewar guy with no knowledge of muscle bikes at all but what the heck why not try.i wanted to do a bike for my daughter anyways. So can I ask cause I don't know, does a 60s girls frame fall into this category?? I understand the rear wheel apes and seat, so as long as I have those qualities does it matter if it's a girls frame?

I'm in on this. Im a prewar guy with no knowledge of muscle bikes at all but what the heck why not try.i wanted to do a bike for my daughter anyways. So can I ask cause I don't know, does a 60s girls frame fall into this category?? I understand the rear wheel apes and seat, so as long as I have those qualities does it matter if it's a girls frame?
Nope,just has to meet the requirements for the build.
Most companies that built muscle bikes also built girls versions. For example,my favorite muscle bike is the Iverson dragstripper. I have a 20" boys and 26" girls that I'll one day do gender reassignment surgery on.
I know Iverson isn't the best bike,but I really like the exhaust pipe frame.

I have a 78 Mongoose Motomag frame. Someone decided it needed a kick stand so they welded a bracket on. I am not destroying a national treasure to get that out of the way. I am thinking of revisiting early bmx but in reverse. Lots of converted stingrays and Huffys when I was a kid. The conversion was getting rid of the slicks and the fenders and the banana and the ape hangers. How about I added those things to a period BMX frame?
Slick, 5 speed, 26" skinny on long stretched out forks. Without changing the frame, except maybe removing the kick stand bracket.
Interesting!
Hey can I start tonight and finish on Christmas eve?

Merle. :crazy:
I am sure no one will mind if you finish on the 24th of Dec instead of Jan 1, but you still need to wait till Sept 1 to start! Very confident of you to lose yourself 6 days off the end there... :p
Nope,just has to meet the requirements for the build.
Most companies that built muscle bikes also built girls versions. For example,my favorite muscle bike is the Iverson dragstripper. I have a 20" boys and 26" girls that I'll one day do gender reassignment surgery on.
I know Iverson isn't the best bike,but I really like the exhaust pipe frame.
Falstaff is spot on! We really don't care what frame you use, just as long as it fits the 2 out of 3 rule...

Luke.

I'm still not sure I'll have time to finish this,but just in case I'll ask.

I've gathered most of my parts,I'm just having trouble finding bars. I plan to use a threadless fork,I learned from experience that old apes don't fit in a bmx style clamp. So the question is what handlebar size do I need? 1" 7/8" ? I don't know handlebars.

I'm still not sure I'll have time to finish this,but just in case I'll ask.

I've gathered most of my parts,I'm just having trouble finding bars. I plan to use a threadless fork,I learned from experience that old apes don't fit in a bmx style clamp. So the question is what handlebar size do I need? 1" 7/8" ? I don't know handlebars.
BMX use a 7/8" clamp normally, most apes are 1"...
An MTB clamp might be your best bet, still readily available in threadless, but uses 1" clamp size... :thumbsup:

Luke.

Kool thanks fellas. Well I'm in this should be a fun time. I don't even plan on being a contender but still I love this website :) I've spent all day at work looking at muscle bikes trying to get an idea of them. I got a garage and house full of awesome prewars but this is new to me so expect lots of questions from me lol.

Welcome. While I haven't done one in a MBBO yet (You can see my daughter's Fair Lady in the link in my sig) I do plan on doing a one-off for my daughter in MBBO5 next year. It'll be a 24", and she's barely riding a 20", so I have literally have years till I "need" to build it.

Welcome. While I haven't done one in a MBBO yet (You can see my daughter's Fair Lady in the link in my sig) I do plan on doing a one-off for my daughter in MBBO5 next year. It'll be a 24", and she's barely riding a 20", so I have literally have years till I "need" to build it.
Yea I have a 24" 1961 girls frame I was thinking about, but another member on here recently gave my oldest daughter a brand new bike, so I'm gonna build this one for my 8 year old. Metalchewey hooked her up with the bones and wheels to an original paint 1968 schwinn frame. It's only a 16" bike but I'm sure I can do something with that. I havent even done a mock up yet, once this starts I can start throwing some different wheel sizes on and get an idea of what I want to do. I doubt she will help lol she's pretty girly but my 10 year old helped me build a '51 Chevy and a lot of bikes so this should be a fun time.we are moving to New Mexico so this will give me something to do in a new city where I don't know anyone haha.

Heads up! Crash is already planning for MBBO#05! o_O

Just kidding! Cool that we have this much of a following happening!

Luke.

That's funny I'm also planning my build for my daughter. Girls getting muscle bikes.

On a side note I just picked this up as a donor bike, but it looks complete. I would hate to part it out if anyone was interested in it.

Currently the only muscle bike project I have available is this girls Royal Sport. I haven't put much thought into it other than possibly doing a gender bender.
I have been searching for the correct chain guard for it but have had no luck. This is a rare bike in the US as it was built in West Germany.
DSCN1277.jpg

I just posted up a tasty treat in my For Sale thread if anyone wants some vintage Shimano Disc Brakes for their build.

There's something Shimano that you have that I want. Hopefully you can find it. ;)

Haven't forgotten you, but haven't found it yet either. :(

I always loved this muscle bike pic.

groovy.jpg

Latest posts

Back