Über Max Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Our bike club has about 60 miles of hand cut trails. The trails are named for the physical features (Bacon Strip, Snake Back etc), an event that happened there (The Killing Fields: site of a snowmobile accident resulting in death, Broke Back etc) or what was found there (Dead Cat, Whiskey Bottle, Coyote Den or the Rusty Bike Trail etc). The rusty bike has been stolen. The club wants a new one that they plan to chain to a tree. I took a cracked frame, bent fork, bent wheels and various rusty parts to throw together a new rusty bike to mark the trail. The front axle, stem and seat post didn't fit into the various components so I hammered it together. There are no bearings and the chain wheel is on the wrong side. Everything is steel including the seat so it should continue to rust. As a further anti vandal measure I welded the nuts on the axles, stem and seat. The chain is welded to the chain wheel. and there is no rear cog. It only has one bent pedal and that is a 9/16 welded to a one piece crank. No tires as they don't ever seem to return to the earth. There should be nothing useful and I pity anyone who steals it. It's a beaut eh. I should enter it in a build off.

Say yeh to da UP, got a laugh from me. Spent allot of my childhood in Rock MI.
I pass through Rock quite often going to Escanaba. Our deer hunting camp is south of Little Lake in the Cyr Swamp which is near Rock. The younger guys at camp are always going to Big Bon's in McFarland to view the exotic dancers, but all the old timers are in bed by then. I have also bird hunted in the area. I used to go the Herb's Bar in Rock for St Patricks Day Corned beef. Cool that you know the area.

I couldn't get my battery welder working worth a hoot. This has been an intermittent problem and always related to the light duty jumper cables that connect the two batteries together to make 24 volts. The jumpers that I use to weld with are old heavy duty ones. Today I took a 3 foot piece of house wiring triple strand Romex and bradded the three strands together and held them on the battery posts with vicegrips. It worked a lot better.

Cool bike. I'm originally from Lansing and I've spent a lot of time riding my dirt bikes up in Copper Harbor. I love the UP!

Good stuff.
Love it

I've been thinking of building an ornamental bike with saw blade wheels, barbwire seat and everything welded shut.

I might one day

:)
We have decided where to put it on the trail and the idea now is to use 8 inch barn screws to attach it to a tree as a chain would be easy to break. We would drill holes in the frame and screw it in and grind the driving heads round.

Cool bike. I'm originally from Lansing and I've spent a lot of time riding my dirt bikes up in Copper Harbor. I love the UP!
Marquette and Ishpeming have bronze center MB venues. Marquette is machine cut and well marked. Ishpeming is hand cut and only a few trails are marked. Give me a holler if you ever feel like riding in Ishpeming, you need a guide. Both places are good but I like the rougher hand cut stuff. If you are going to Copper Harbor both Ishpeming and Marquette are worth the stop. Not really out of your way either.

Why :39::(:20::cry: its a cool concept:thumbsup: , but it might kill the tree and could have been a great rider:oops:
If you read back further, the bike was dead, cracked frame and all...

Luke.

I took all my scrap to the recycle area this weekend but I did pull out 2 bent wheels, a twisted frame, a crank with stripped threads and a bent fork before disposing of all the junk. The bike club wants another rusty bike at the other end of the trail so I threw one together. It is unridable as there are no bearings in the headset.

Latest posts

Back