fabricated funky saddel bag/ license plate tin cans.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is my first go at one of these, allot tougher than I thought, pop rivets, polyurethane tin tomato cans might fill in the sides with plate cut outs, still have to figure out how to make a closure for the back side. it is for tools or what ever.
it is reflective too boot and the cream matches the rims.

How does it open?

Here's a similar style I made for my Iver:

19015_10153072314823191_3187451631242697497_n.jpg

Dose not open yet waiting on another license plate, was thinking on leather, or a hinge, what did you use for your sides? I was looking at some of those locks but because of the metal that looked like a tougher route, might use snaps.

It's copper I hammered into a shallow cup over an oak form. The leather body is held around the perimeter with Chicago screws. There's a small aluminum strip in the front for the latches to anchor to on the front and one on the back that anchor the Chicago screws that hold the leather straps to hang it (I also have a horizontal one to hold it to the saddle rails as the swinging around annoyed me).

I love the idea of using the license plates.

Mine swings like a cow bell, so back to the drawing board, thinking of fabricating a stationary holder that will use existing seat bolts to cradle the saddle bag, so it looks like it is floating more than hanging, picks will be coming when it is done.

With mine I just have another strap (all cut from a leather belt I found in a parking lot...I probably don't want to think about why it was there), I run through the vertical bars of the seat frame, but the springs on yours make it trickier. Looking forward to pics of your solution!

Have a plan in place (see third photo rear bottom nuts on seat), a 4"X6" piece of sheet aluminum 3/16, some longer bolts going stainless 2 holes in flat stock to match up with bottom of seat, I will wing nut my saddle bag to the plate. Re-bolt springs back to base and brace. The saddle bag will have a nice position up higher not hanging anymore. Now I just need to execute.

Latest posts

Back