MBBO4 Class 2 - DJ's Dilemma.......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So.....you get this pile of parts and you gotta build a Musclebike?? Holy Scrap Pile, Spiderman! Coaster?? Three Speed? Ashtabula or three piece?? What size tires are gonna end up on it?? And just what to call it....?????? Hmm, Maybe a recumbent Muscle bike?? Nah.

GEDC1948_zpsufat1ejt.jpg

Well. this is going to be interesting to say the least. I forgot a few other parts, but that's tomorrow's installment. And no... I don't know the answers to the above any more than you do. But I do have a Sawzall and I have stayed at the Holiday Inn.

Decided it's going to be a lot of cut and weld.. and new tubing is a must all the tubes are at the wrong angles.

On the good news front....the fork out of the 3 speed bike turned out to be a replacement with the sticker still on it..and the threads went way down the steerer tube so it doesn't matter which headtube I use.. Now I can use the one I want to!

Oh... and the 1961 AW works just fine. ten years outside didn't faze it in the least.

I also decided a 24 rear with a 16 front wasn't gonna cut it. I may have to graduate to 26/24.

Spidey is just a memory now. He was all faded out anyway and didn't survive the operation.. Interesting construction, no top or down tube, just sheet metal. And the seat has a seat tube that didn't go to the bb. The bike I'm seeing in my head is almost as strange.

DJ, anything emerging from the "pile" yet...?

Just lots of thoughts......I gotta get some time to make the tubes I need. (Of course having a neat old Worksman frame show up in the mean time I've been playing with that in my spare time..)

Why yes, I am king of the procrastinators, when we get around to a vote...

Well, the Worksman is done for now,and I am enjoying it most every morning so it is time to proceed.

I found out that all my Sturmey Archer hubs are drilled for 40 spokes.....:13: and since I am using a 24 inch back wheel.........I think I'm going with another direction. Unless I can find a 24 inch alloy rim somewhere with 40 spoke holes.

Did a wee bit of sawzalling today.

Here's the result.
DSCN4762_zpsbitxhdox.jpg

Everything you see there is gonna be used except the back and front wheels and hopefully tires, handlebars, most of the horizontal tubing in the frame and Spidey's fork is way too short. Other than that this is exackly how it is gonna turn out, almost. :wondering: Looks like I'll have to find me an Ashtabula style for at least a 20 inch or larger... Coop here I come!
Of course tomorrow starts a 2 week journey to Texas and back to NY, so there will be another interlude...carry on. Here's one last picture of it on its wheels.. The chain stays are supposed to end up level but my Vice grips weren't working at the right angle of dangle.

DSCN4764_zps5ybxbsv5.jpg

Everything is scaled up by a factor of 1.2 from the real Swingbike, to keep the look but be adult sized. I think it ends up with a 46.5 inch wheelbase if I did my math right.

Hardest thing is going to be keeping the tubes all lined up and both headtubes parallel to each other. I might just tack it together as is and work on the top tube, then cut out the bottom tube and replace it with the correctly curved one. I really like the wedge look it has right now but as you can see it would require a really long rear headtube, which I do not have. (And of course it will need a long fork to match. )

Last edited:
Well, the Worksman is done for now,and I am enjoying it most every morning so it is time to proceed.

I found out that all my Sturmey Archer hubs are drilled for 40 spokes.....:13: and since I am using a 24 inch back wheel.........I think I'm going with another direction. Unless I can find a 24 inch alloy rim somewhere with 40 spoke holes.

Did a wee bit of sawzalling today.

Here's the result.
DSCN4762_zpsbitxhdox.jpg

Everything you see there is gonna be used except the back and front wheels and hopefully tires, handlebars, most of the horizontal tubing in the frame and Spidey's fork is way too short. Other than that this is exackly how it is gonna turn out, almost. :wondering: Looks like I'll have to find me an Ashtabula style for at least a 20 inch or larger... Coop here I come!
Of course tomorrow starts a 2 week journey to Texas and back to NY, so there will be another interlude...carry on. Here's one last picture of it on its wheels.. The chain stays are supposed to end up level but my Vice grips weren't working at the right angle of dangle.

DSCN4764_zps5ybxbsv5.jpg

Everything is scaled up by a factor of 1.2 from the real Swingbike, to keep the look but be adult sized. I think it ends up with a 46.5 inch wheelbase if I did my math right.

Hardest thing is going to be keeping the tubes all lined up and both headtubes parallel to each other. I might just tack it together as is and work on the top tube, then cut out the bottom tube and replace it with the correctly curved one. I really like the wedge look it has right now but as you can see it would require a really long rear headtube, which I do not have. (And of course it will need a long fork to match. )
Have you thought of using one of the schwinn stingray chopper head tube and forks for the rear they have a long headtube but the forks may be a challenge for a swing bike but may look cool.

Latest posts

Back