g-ratter's first try-Renamed REVIVAL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As promised here is a pic of my first try at a frame mod. I pulled this BMX frame off the back of a salvage truck. I liked the big heavy look of it. One of my goals is to keep this as much of a found material project as possible. Working on trying to get some tube bent for the rear triangle. Rear wheel will be a 24 x 3.45 3g tire. The front will be a 20x3 if I can find one. That about as far as I have thought about it.
startofbike.jpg

Looks like it's gonna be a good guttergrabber! If you put a 24" on the front it will change the frame's angle, I'd try to keep both rims the same size. Stretching a frame like that and then having the front part sitting higher than the back doesn't always look as good as it being fairly level to the ground. I think it will be cool either way and look forward to seeing it all finished and rolling down the street!
Chainy

Still working on getting tube bent for the rear so decided to do some mock ups for the front end. No time or budget right now for a real working fork so decided to fool around with a faux springer fork look from parts laying around my shop. Fork "A" is kinda cool but I think it needs to be shorted a little. Fork "B" would allow me to put on a front hand brake. Fork "C" looks a little more proportional to me.
I plan on welding the arm to the original fork for strength but am wondering about cantilevering the wheel so far out. Will the wheel end up twisting on me??
Opinions are appreciated.
ForkA.jpg
forkB.jpg

forkC.jpg

True enough, although I did that once with some flimsy old truss rods, and it worked OK for gentle cruising. I'm sure it would have gone south if I had ever had to put it to the test. I think "A" would fold as soon as you sat on it.

Another idea. i have these old wrenches that I can reshape. I think I am liking this idea if I keep them more horizontal (gray version) than pointing down (Black version).
Any opinions?

wrenches.jpg
mockup2.jpg

gray version, and i really like it. neat re-use of tools!

Finally got the rear tubes bent. Hope to have some time tomorrow to weld them in. Decided to go with the old wrenches for the front end. Because of this and another wrench I have that looks to me like a devils head I decided to name the project WRETCHED. Looking for ideas as how to incorporate the wrench into the bike. it is about 4 inches long by 2 inches wide. Any ideas?
IMG_0640.jpg

If it is going to be a multi speed, use the wrench as a shifter lever instead of mounting the shifter on the bars.

i like c it is very similar to the fork i did on this year's build off bike and that fork works great. as for the copper tubing ditch it there is a huge difference between truss rods and a load bearing part of the fork like that design. if you like your teeth find another fork and use that for the second truss. trust me i want to see you do many more customs down the line my friend. the rockers and using the tools will be fine i really like that idea

Wusup g-ratter? Your first try is going well. My advise is pay attention to all those who are kickin you feedback and ideas. Most have been there done that! I really like your idea of sourcing found objects. You'll be amazed at what you come up with. The devil wrench told me it wants to be a seat back/bully bar on your custom made hand built one off seat. That's how I approach alot of my art if it can be called that. I look and listen and the item/object tells me what it should be or wants to be. Now you are the bike whisperer, little grasshopper!

Do not worry karfer67. the copper tubing is only for looks. I do not have the facilities or funds at the moment to build a real springer fork but liked the look so came up with this idea to simulate one.
Thanks for the advice Kuttnhack. I have been scouring the site looking for ideas I can use. Was just today starting to think about how to get a seat tube connected but first I need to find some metal to extend the rear drop outs so I can get that big 3 inch tire on.

Re: g-ratter's WRETCHED

Thought I would try and get a post in of the project so far before the holidays set in and have no time to work on it. Her she is so far. Put the seat post in but have not cleaned up the welds yet. Still searching for the rear 24" 72 spoke wheel. I will need it so I know how much I have to extend the rear drop outs to fit the tire.
Feeling like I may have to use a bent seat post to get it back farther but will what to see how it feels to sit on the bike once I have the wheels and pedals on.
Found this seat at Goodwill. It is a Schwinn that only has the back half. Not sure if it is cool or dopey looking??? But it is comfortable.
wretched091211.jpg

wretchedfront.jpg

So I can never seems to completely finish a bike before moving on to another. While reworking the paint on Bike Flip I came up with an seat idea for this bike that has been up in the rafters for what I can not believe is 15 years now. If you read the thread it was the first one I started when I ran across RRB all those years ago. Now calling it Revival.
It ended up hanging because I never really liked the back end but recently found a fork that I was able to substitute for the old stay and now I am digging it again. Put on a set of cranks and a larger rear wheel and started the seat idea. Would love to try some sort of spring mechanism back there also.
Sorry there is no old pics. Not sure were they ended up but here are the latest.

Latest posts

Back