Re-chroming Bike Wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a few bike rims Id like to get re-chromed. I'm just curious who you guys use? The local guy I used last summer to re-chrome parts for my Murray Eliminator did a very nice job and chromed a lot of parts reasonably, but he said he hates doing rims because the machine he uses for resurfacing them is kind of dangerous. So because of that he wants between 150-180 each wheel to re-chrome them. That's even with me disassembling the entire wheel, and giving him just a bare rim. Who do you guys recommend?

I have used Proctor's Metal Finishing in MI. Bryan Proctor. He is fairly reasonable, and sort of specializes in bicycle items.

I don't have the number handy, but they have a website if you Google them.

I was only looking to rechrome the hoops, and the hubs then use stainless spokes, that way the bike looks like new. Plus I get to re pack all the bearings with grease.

I've used Proctor myself and they are great. Chrome is not cheap anywhere so be prepared. Gary

Let me ask is 150ish for just the chrome hoop high or about average? Because the guy who quoted me did some stuff for me in the past and it looked great.

I think high, but I have not had one done in a while.

Maybe for a Schwinn rim where you need to pay attention to knurling and Schwinn Tubular stamp it would be that high, but for a Murray rim where it's just flat and chrome...I would think cheaper?

Buuuuuuuuuut rim condition matters too, if these rims are really rusty the prep will be a killer, and the price will be more.

He hasnt seen them yet so he doesn't know what condition they're in he just gave me a ball park figure around 150 because that's what he says he does motorcycle wheels for. Its odd because he did the entire Murray shifter, neck, and some screws all of wich were pretty rough for $75 in triple plate and they looked awesome, and everyone else wanted more. But Im going to try this new guy and see what he has to say, I have a couple rims Id like to have done.

Last edited:
When Proctor does Schwinn rims they polish them and the knurling disappears. Then, they have a way to put the knurling back on like it was. I was pretty impressed by their work. Gary

Education please. Knurling?

Knurling...that's the little row of lines that run where the spoke holes are drilled on Schwinn rims. The knurling is put there when the steel is pulled through the dies to form the rim. It's like a gear that gets a grip on the steel and imprints on the rim. S7 rims have one row of knurling, S2 rims have two. Gary

I had "The Chrome Shop" in Rock Island ill. give me a quote for chrome recently, but I have not sent them in yet to do the work due to Christmas expenses. They said $60 for an s-2 stingray rim in nice, dent free shape - just needs blasted and chromed, $60 for a stingray rear fender. Something to consider.

Knurling...that's the little row of lines that run where the spoke holes are drilled on Schwinn rims. The knurling is put there when the steel is pulled through the dies to form the rim. It's like a gear that gets a grip on the steel and imprints on the rim. S7 rims have one row of knurling, S2 rims have two. Gary
Thanks for that info. Never knew.

Hello. (my 1st post) I just took a set of S-5 hoops to a chromer in San Jose and he quoted $360 for the set! He could not guarantee that the S-5 stamping would remain. Welcome to Bay Area pricing...

I guess things are expensive all over. My solution was to hit Craig's and buy a Stardust with perfect

Rims (near) perfect for $150 and get a few extra parts in the balance. No green sparkle seat though.... Oh well.

What the platers don't like about doing rims is when they polish them on the buffing wheel, it puts the worker in a dangerous position. Ever polish something and the buffer grabs the part and throws it? If that happens when doing a rim, it can pull your arms into the buffer. Not good. Same goes for trim rings and headlight bezels.

What the platers don't like about doing rims is when they polish them on the buffing wheel, it puts the worker in a dangerous position. Ever polish something and the buffer grabs the part and throws it? If that happens when doing a rim, it can pull your arms into the buffer. Not good. Same goes for trim rings and headlight bezels.

That's why we have workman's comp.:p Gary

Latest posts

Back