Plastic chroming?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Does anyone know of a place that chromes plastic parts and doesn't charge a killing? I have a headlight bezel and sprocket cap I'd like to have redone for my wife's bike. Along with a plane fender ornament, I was quoted just under $700 for those 3 parts. I almost fell over.

I hope not, but you may find yourself on a Grail quest, my friend.

As you probably know, plastic plating is not plating at all but aluminum vapor deposited on the surface in a vacuum chamber--the equipment costs are high. Car modelers have been seeking a suitable DIY substitute for years. You might contact these folks:

http://www.chrometechusa.com/price-sheet.html

I can't vouch for their product or services, but they do appear to charge about $25 for items that fit their 6x8 inch "rack". You ought to be able to get the bezel done for that price, I would think.

If the sheets don't work I'll look into them.

What about trying to 'wrap' the items?
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/201406924843

For the money, it might be worth it.
You're making a habit of coming to my rescue lately! I'll give this a shot and see how it does. I bought one, I'll report back with results. It's coming from Thailand so not due to get here till early Feb.

I used Chrometech a few years back and was very happy with the results. That wrap looks like the model airplane stuff which is too thick to do anything other than gentle curves but will be interested to see what you find out.

I sold the equipment to do it with i didn't want to spend 150k on a spray both to keep the dust off It wasn't the processes it was the clear that was recommend would take a long time to dry but there are do it your self kits i have seen you might want to check with ebay , but i think the most of them come from the UK
<<<< Me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/start-Rama2...762034?hash=item33a14195b2:g:cHcAAOSwqu9VM5QC

Besides i like what i do now much better ..

Last edited:
I sold the equipment to do it with i didn't want to spend 150k on a spray both to keep the dust off It wasn't the processes it was the clear that was recommend would take a long time to dry but there are do it your self kits i have seen you might want to check with ebay , but i think the most of them come from the UK
<<<< Me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/start-Rama2...762034?hash=item33a14195b2:g:cHcAAOSwqu9VM5QC

Besides i like what i do now much better ..

Bummer. I was hoping to get you to do one of my tanks. :(

I was quoted £700 to do 2 mudguards and a rear rack on my 50 year old Moulton, so thats nearer $1000 so i know which one i would prefer if i needed it.

You will not find anyone that will do a better job anywhere in the world re-plating plastic than Advance Plating. If you want it done right they are your source, if you want it done cheap, it probably won't be done right......
Yup, the definately do good work.

You could contact the Little Motor Kar Co. in PA.

They re-chrome model car parts, he may be able to re-chrome larger plastic parts.

I think the little things like going the extra mile to get first class chrome work done versus wraps and spray paint that "look like chrome" is one significant difference between "restoration" and "fixing up old bikes".
Personally I admittedly just "fix up old bikes", but in this case my question would be is this for a true restoration? Things like this are exactly why I don't "restore", because no matter how much work you put in all the rest the details that are skimped on will be what people judge your work by.
Ironically, many years ago I first realized my humble and lowly place in the "restoration world" after a conversation with Advance Plating's owner, Steve Tracy, about his philosophy of how he runs Advance and the high standards of the quality of work he allows out the door.
Valid point
A lot of places can do the job, but advance does it right. You get what you pay for, I might drop my TRM tank off when I go through Nashville this summer. If I have the tank fitted right by then. (I'm a little slow sometimes)

Latest posts

Back