(ORBO) Dead Metal - Video Montage

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you believe the non drive side of the spindle could be cut down? I would like to achieve the desired chainline, the hub I have is non adjustable as you noted with an integral gear. The YST seems ideal except for the length.
BTW @Bicycle808 where's your build? I thought you were jumping in.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Someone with the right tools and skills could possibly cut the spindle in half, take off a few mm from the center, and then weld it back together and grind it down really smoothly to clear the bearings.... but the best bet, imho, would be to get the right size UN55 or similar BB to mount in your SRAM threaded adaptor...pretty much foolproof, once you settle on a crank. FWIW, cranks like this wone will tell you what bb to use for a 42mm chainline: http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/origin8-single-speed-alloy-bicycle-crank-arm-175mm (That's a 7", but i'd consider going 6.5" with that frame, as they have a low BB shell...)
They're s'posed to be bmx race cranks, so they should clear your stays, although i've never had any in-hand so i can't confirm any tread figures. So, here's a good, cartridge-bearing all-metal bb set in the proper size:
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/shimano-un55-bottom-bracket-68-x-107mm-english-threading

hth

I'm jumping in/.... will have a thread up this weekend, monday at the latest. Just need to decide which Worksman frame i'm gonna use. I have my rims, crank, rear hub, stem, bars, pads, assorted trinkets, saddle, post, etc... just need to pick a frame, get it refinished, and build the thing up (need spokes, front sprocket, front hum, maybe a different front brake.... at least one tire...grips... but i am mostly ready!)

Well little brother, I bit the bullet... bought the Sunlight crankset on the same page as the suggested arm, and a 68 x 113 cartridge as needed to match and the black ops conversion. So my drivetrain is on the way (can I lace my rim now? LOL) really I'm glad @Bicycle808 suggested Niagra, I'd been window shopping on eBay and perusing magazines at the coffee shop, but there was just a bit more info on Niagra's pages. Enough for a novice like me to put two and two together, and still save a bit of cash.

Carl.

Well little brother, I bit the bullet... bought the Sunlight crankset on the same page as the suggested arm, and a 68 x 113 cartridge as needed to match and the black ops conversion. So my drivetrain is on the way (can I lace my rim now? LOL) really I'm glad @Bicycle808 suggested Niagra, I'd been window shopping on eBay and perusing magazines at the coffee shop, but there was just a bit more info on Niagra's pages. Enough for a novice like me to put two and two together, and still save a bit of cash.

Carl.
I have purchased a few items from Niagra and always been pleased, all the way around! Looking forward to the new additions!

Thanks @OddJob, the idea is to keep it light of course, but I can always fall back on the Schwinn 1piece I have. It's a boat anchor but it'll never break either... I also found out this bike was badged as a Royal, but having never seen the badge, I know little else. Gary rescued it from somewhere and I got it the same time as the Rollfast...

Carl.

Waiting on parts and I got a new to me (but almost new anyway) amp head.
Blackstar HT20, I've got it pushing an old Teisco 2x15 cabinet that's circa1970 probably loaded with Pioneers, but I've never opened it up. Played guitar for like 3 hours this evening.
BlackStar.JPG

Carl.

Last edited:
Waiting on parts and I got a new to me (but almost new anyway) amp head.
Blackstar HT20, I've got it pushing an old Teisco 2x15 cabinet that's circa1970 probably loaded with Pioneers, but I've never opened it up. Played guitar for like 3 hours this evening.
View attachment 16820

Carl.
Those twin 15's probably make those single coils sound like humbuckers...nice and full and lush...GuitarCarl, ratrodcabs.com.....

The Blackstar has some circuitry that allows it to sound like a Fender or a Marshall or a combination of both. Pretty cool amp also has a clean or drive foot switch, an effects loop and the ability to push multiple cabinets.

Carl.

Where's that 2 speed hub? Did you get the 10 1/8" spokes to lace it? Gary
On my bench waiting to be installed. I was bored this morning before work so I put the wacky rims and dinky crank on. I finished the wheel a couple days ago but our LBS is closed Sunday & Monday, so no rim strip til today.

Carl.

On my bench waiting to be installed. I was bored this morning before work so I put the wacky rims and dinky crank on. I finished the wheel a couple days ago but our LBS is closed Sunday & Monday, so no rim strip til today.

Carl.

My goodie box from back home was missing a rim strip for the back tire. Too anxious to see the tire on the wheel and fit it. Pulled out the old DIY rescue tool....duct tape. Two layers for good measure!;)

My goodie box from back home was missing a rim strip for the back tire. Too anxious to see the tire on the wheel and fit it. Pulled out the old DIY rescue tool....duct tape. Two layers for good measure!;)
I've been going back and forth about new tires...
But I didn't want to keep taking it off and putting it back on.
So I waited, and in the mean time had a little fun with the wheels I built last year.

Carl.

I've put the actual wheels I built on but I have the little BMX crankset on still... Haha, it's so funny pedaling a 5" crank on a 26" frame, but I can tell you the kickback hub Gary built is awesome. He told me if I used a small sprocket (like the 36t on it now) I'd be able to climb trees with it and he's right. No pics now, I'm waiting for my 3 piece crankset to get here so I can put it all together.

Carl.

Love the wacky rim videos.

Love the wacky rim videos.
Yeah that old build was a failure but I do have a nice set of crazy rims that fit on any 26" or bigger frame... So we'll probably get to see them :eek: appear on many future builds to come. Cool thing is they'll turn any cruiser into a clown parade bike.

Carl.

DSC00792.JPG
Ok. I ordered some tires, CST cyclops 26 x 2.4 - right now it's got 1.95's on it,
and some red chain to tie in with Sugar's roses.
emoji88.png
The black seat showed up today,
but I'm still waiting on the 3 pc crankset... and tweaking the details in my head.

Carl.

Last edited:
Looks like those CST tires will be popular this year!

Luke.
The price was right and there was quite a few choices in tread and size.
I'm anxious to see the 2.4 squeezed onto the og rim.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back