Secrets of the Masters

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two very effect inexpensive subtle modifications.

1/2 inch vinyl cap on the bottom of your kickstands and heat shrink tubing in the truss rods where the light touches.

92d3556e00df25e97d7839c1bf5fa842.jpg

8a8f43236cafbbc725b9fb591ec035b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reflective safety tape makes great lightweight reflectors, comes in a variety of colors, and looks like accent paint in sunlight.

The best penetrants I've used come from when I was a boat mechanic: Zep 45 and Zep PLS (which can also be used as a metal protectant to some extent). Not the cheapest, but the cans last forever as the propellent is perfectly matched to the amount of material in the can.

For bar wrap, I use two methods to secure the end:
1. For a cleaner look, I wrap towards the bar end, overlapping the start of the tape so the starting side is secure and then the bar end plug can be used to secure the loose end when finished.
2. For a more vintage look, I wrap from the bar end and use cloth string (white can be dyed any color) to secure the loose end in the center of the bar. There are plenty of methods for wrapping and tying off the string cleanly that can be googled.
I've also used cloth tape to wrap over rubber grips that are comfortable, but don't otherwise match the look of the rest of the bike.

Reflective safety tape makes great lightweight reflectors, comes in a variety of colors, and looks like accent paint in sunlight.

The best penetrants I've used come from when I was a boat mechanic: Zep 45 and Zep PLS (which can also be used as a metal protectant to some extent). Not the cheapest, but the cans last forever as the propellent is perfectly matched to the amount of material in the can.

For bar wrap, I use two methods to secure the end:
1. For a cleaner look, I wrap towards the bar end, overlapping the start of the tape so the starting side is secure and then the bar end plug can be used to secure the loose end when finished.
2. For a more vintage look, I wrap from the bar end and use cloth string (white can be dyed any color) to secure the loose end in the center of the bar. There are plenty of methods for wrapping and tying off the string cleanly that can be googled.
I've also used cloth tape to wrap over rubber grips that are comfortable, but don't otherwise match the look of the rest of the bike.
Thanks for the wrap info. My bike flip project is about ready for the handlebar wrap.

Removing even the most stubborn handlebar grips is easy with compressed air.

Pry the grip open just enough to slip the tip of an air nozzle under the edge and then twist and pull as you blast it with air. Use the same method to install grips and there's no need for any lubricant to slip them into place. This has never failed to work effortlessly.

Another easy way to remove grips is run a pointed wooded skewer down under the grip and slidt the skinny tube from the WD-40 can (if you have't lost it in your shop somewhere) along the side of the skewer and give it short blast. It will twist right off.

Easy way to slide tight grips on . Put some rubbing alcohol on the bars & get the inside of the grip wet . They will slip right on. The alcohol will evaporate & they will tighten up in a few hours .

Latest posts

Back