OH RATS!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
23457-169e4b5b223e0e7e4caee199a9afd537.jpg

This is my 1963 Murray Solar Flite. It shall become Rat On, my minds warped idea of a rat rod!
This is my first time participating, hope it turns out something like the creation in my mind's eye!
I have picked up a couple of roached Spaceliner parts for it last fall at the Memory Lanes swap. Now I will make them play nice together.

Thanks for looking, more pics very soon!
Sludgeguy

Welcome to the fray! We should have a Spaceliner sub-group, think there's like 4 or 5 of us at least.....:bigsmile: The build offs are fun and the learning that is shared and excitement of the process is all part of it. Keep those posts and pics coming!

Yeah, I've noticed there's a bunch of 'liners. Hopefully the designs will be unique enough to out way the similarities.

Been busy, bike is tore down. Ready for the sandblaster!

I have been beating out a dent in the chain guard and introducing it to the buffer wheel, primer and a coat of paint!

Here is my inspiration...

rat light.jpg

This is a tail light I made over the winter. This is the project I will be using it on.
rat light2.jpg

I carved it from Buckeye, I am in Ohio after all, and added LED eyes.
I will be uploading some more pictures later.
Thanks for looking
Sludgeguy

That rat is awesome ! Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great rat

quick update
Well I'm getting a little color on some parts.
IMG_20160510_093323_847.jpg

Still waiting on the sandblasting on the frame. I had the springer torn completely apart and introduced it to the wire wheel and some steel wool. The chainguard had to be straightened then cleaned and scuffed for primer and paint. This is my first sorry attempt of pinstriping. It will do for me and my rats...
Thanks for looking,
Sludgeguy

Looks good for a first time ,nice job !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice striping

Wow! The level of Rat-isfaction on the builds in BO-11 is unreal! And the constant posting is making it really hard to stay on page 1 ....! :21:

Sooo, how much is typical for a frame sandblasting?
All I'm blasting is the frame itself? The guy is telling $50, seems high for grease free and not much rust... What kind of luck would I have with a chemical stripper?
Thanks for any input

It's possible with stripper, just takes a while and patience. You'll want to get aircraft stripper. You can also try wire wheels or strip discs on a drill, again time and patience. $50 for sandblasting might be normal, it costs me $60 for a bag of media for my blaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Falstaff, I think in the spirit of a rat rod, I'll make do with good ol' sanding, wire wheels and strip discs... did I mention I'm cheap..

Sooo, how much is typical for a frame sandblasting?
All I'm blasting is the frame itself? The guy is telling $50, seems high for grease free and not much rust... What kind of luck would I have with a chemical stripper?
Thanks for any input
We charge $50 an hour for media blast. We don't charge for the whole hour if we don't use it, seems they may

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back