PAINT PROBLEMS! Any help here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only base that would work on its own is singlestage paint. Such as that used on farm equipment. Its in simple terms base and clear all in one.
Yes, it was an Acrylic Enamel Single-Stage paint.

I've used tractor paint before, it works well but the rattle cans seem to take a while to dry.

I've used tractor paint before, it works well but the rattle cans seem to take a while to dry.
Rattle cans will always take longer. Singlestage paint sprayed from a gun has way more catalyst thats why it will harden even if it's just put in a can and not used for a short period of time. Spray paint has to be able to sit on a shelf for months at a time. Automotive or singlestage paints mixed and sprayed from a gun only need to stay liquid for minutes or hours not months so they will contain more catalyst mainly in single stage as automotive is usually just reduced toners with nothing to help them resist scratching thats where the clear comes into play.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I have rattle canned a lot of bikes. There are definitely some tricks to get a more durable finish, but that adds a lot of time to your job. Prep work is key. I get paint mixed in rattle cans from my l9cal auto paint store as well. Then I graduated to spraying a 2k clear that I mix through a gun over my rattle can paint. Works much better. However, I just found a new spray paint that is made specifically for bikes. Goes on easily, covers well, dried to touch in 10 min,full cure in 2 hours, and has a durable powder coat like finish. You don't need any primer with it either. The stuff is unbelievable, like a dream come true. I was skeptical at first, but I am a believer now. I will be at Cyclefest Sacramento with it so hit me up and try it. I promise your mind will be blown. More info to come.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, it goes on bare metal or a painted frame or stickers all the same. It cuts your paint time to a fraction of what it was. I painted a bike in 30 min start to finish including clear

The only way you're going to get good paint is to stop using off the shelf spray cans. The reason good paints don't easily chip and scratch is because they have hardener in them, spray cans do not. You don't need a high dollar spray gun or compressor to paint bikes or other small parts. A double action air brush with a cheap harbor freight compressor is under $200 bucks. I've been using the same Paasche air brush for 31 years now. Now that's getting my money's worth! If you add up all the spray cans you bought and how many times you've had to re-do a spray bomb paint job, you could have had a good paint system that will last for years and cost way less in the long run.

Last edited:
I have rattle canned a lot of bikes. There are definitely some tricks to get a more durable finish, but that adds a lot of time to your job. Prep work is key. I get paint mixed in rattle cans from my l9cal auto paint store as well. Then I graduated to spraying a 2k clear that I mix through a gun over my rattle can paint. Works much better. However, I just found a new spray paint that is made specifically for bikes. Goes on easily, covers well, dried to touch in 10 min,full cure in 2 hours, and has a durable powder coat like finish. You don't need any primer with it either. The stuff is unbelievable, like a dream come true. I was skeptical at first, but I am a believer now. I will be at Cyclefest Sacramento with it so hit me up and try it. I promise your mind will be blown. More info to come.

And for those of us on the east coast and around the world. What is this new paint called?

I have been around automotive industrial and furniture grade products for almost 40 years. Between company's trying to use cheaper material and the EPA things are not the same as they were. Some products are better some worse and others no longer available. Harder is not the end all in a paint finish but prep is a must. Perfectly clean and scratch sanded. Opex industrial lacquer and Len _Mar musical instrument lacquer are very tough finishes that do not require a hardener. Dulux automotive enamel used to be awesome and you could heat it up and it would lay out like glass. Eastwood does sell some 2 part spray cans. 3m was selling clear coat spray cans for automotive. Guys would use them to clear jambs. Spay gun systems work a lot better and you have more choices. Harbor frieght makes one that is a sideload cup that they have on sale for about $10. They work well and don,t need much air, but give you a lot of overspray.I mostly use the turbine help setups. That being said I will probably rattle can the old bike I am working on and spray gun the other one.

I usually would agree with what everyone here is saying. But I'm telling you this rattle can will throw out everything you know about rattle cans
And for those of us on the east coast and around the world. What is this new paint called?
Spray.bike
It's from Europe and my friend is now the U.S. distributor. Seriously amazing stuff. If anybody can get it, and it's easier for those in Europe, then please do. Use it, and then you can back me up on this. Anybody in the Sacramento area, drop by my shop and check it out. We will spray something and you can tell me what you think.

For those of you that still don't want to mess with mixing paint and getting a paint gun and air compressor, if you are going to buy spray paint, DO NOT buy the cheapest on the shelf!! You get what you pay for and that goes for spray paint too.

For those of you that still don't want to mess with mixing paint and getting a paint gun and air compressor, if you are going to buy spray paint, DO NOT buy the cheapest on the shelf!! You get what you pay for and that goes for spray paint too.
Absolutely correct.
(except I still use the $.99 flat black because it's flat black... Unless I am masking and want clean lines it works well)

The Ride by Golz UpCycle
5493 Carlson Dr.
Sacramento, CA

So I read the website about spray.bike... is satin the best finish you can get with it?
I'd like to try the stuff but not if I can't have a glossy finish.

No. 1 coat of clear for satin, 2 coats for gloss, and 3 for a lacquer finish

The Ride by Golz UpCycle
5493 Carlson Dr.
Sacramento, CA

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back