When you can't afford the powder coat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
95ff6ac4fad8f9875a3427ba524c5893.jpg
e4cd638384ff8ef16e8ba40a9d09e008.jpg
4079bd688af3afcbdfbc8a6693803135.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My trade secret is..... Sshhh, tell no one..... Home Depot, quick color flat black, $.97 per can. If you do your prep it good, it has an unreal finish, sheen but not shine. Immediately after I finish coating frame with 1 whole can, I take just inside the door of garage, hang it, hit it lightly with a propane torch on low or the heat gun. Seems harden then finish a lil better than air dry. After a usual 3 cans per bike, parts and all. I've spent $3 and it's pretty tough..... But don't tell anyone. [emoji41]

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

My trade secret is..... Sshhh, tell no one..... Home Depot, quick color flat black, $.97 per can. If you do your prep it good, it has an unreal finish, sheen but not shine. Immediately after I finish coating frame with 1 whole can, I take just inside the door of garage, hang it, hit it lightly with a propane torch on low or the heat gun. Seems harden then finish a lil better than air dry. After a usual 3 cans per bike, parts and all. I've spent $3 and it's pretty tough..... But don't tell anyone. [emoji41]

It'll be our secret!

The heat gun is a great trick. I've been doing that for a while, but now I dont have to. I have found a spray paint made for bikes that covers beautifully, dried to touch in 10 minutes, full cure in 2 hours, and delivers a durable, powder coat like finish.this stuff is unbelievable. Its a rattle can dream. I can paint a bike in a half hour including clear coat and it doesn't need primer. Stay tuned for more.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Well, We have all holiday weekend to work on our bikes.... let's have Brother... pretty please...?

I did a frame heritage white, still waivering. May change if you've got the 411 on the goods....

The heat gun is a great trick. I've been doing that for a while, but now I dont have to. I have found a spray paint made for bikes that covers beautifully, dried to touch in 10 minutes, full cure in 2 hours, and delivers a durable, powder coat like finish.this stuff is unbelievable. Its a rattle can dream. I can paint a bike in a half hour including clear coat and it doesn't need primer. Stay tuned for more.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
You have my attention sir....details on this brand please? :)

So far my best and longest lasting paint job came from a can of Moller engine paint (who knew that Evinrude was actually a color? ) followed by a careful celebratory ride, two weeks full cure in a warm and dry utility building, and finally three light coats of the Bullseye spray varnish I use on my handmade guitars for a topcoat and three more days of cure. So far, so good, with no soft scratches and no peeling...

One of these days i'd like to try an actual UV-resistant Spar varnish as a final coat-I hear that it is very durable!

The brand is called spray.bike and it is from England. My wife and I are working closely with the U.S. distributor who is currently working to get up and running. Currently due to federal regulations we cannot ship, but we are working on that part. Of you are in the Sacramento area you can come by my shop and even test it out before you buy it. For everybody else... Just stay tuned while we get all the details worked out. It has only been out for a couple months. You can forget everything you know about rattlecans. Spray 5-10cm away and never get a drip. It is really phenomenal and I can't wait to share it with you. By the time you are done reading this post you can handle something that you painted just before reading. I wish I had a way to get it to everybody now, but so far just in the shop. Once the details are ironed out you will all be the first to know. I really hope some of you that are in the area come by so you can attest to its greatness.

The Ride by Golz UpCycle
5493 Carlson Dr.
Sacramento, CA

Okay, I can ship it by ground but it is expensive. Not sure exactly how expensive yet. It has to be shipped as an ORM-D hazardous material. I will research different carriers and find out who is least expensive. If anybody has any useful info on this please share as I have never shipped hazardous materials before

The Ride by Golz UpCycle
5493 Carlson Dr.
Sacramento, CA

Okay, I can ship it by ground but it is expensive. Not sure exactly how expensive yet. It has to be shipped as an ORM-D hazardous material. I will research different carriers and find out who is least expensive. If anybody has any useful info on this please share as I have never shipped hazardous materials before

The Ride by Golz UpCycle
5493 Carlson Dr.
Sacramento, CA
How does the paint get sent to you? Maybe you could have it shipped directly from your supplier to customers, and save some shipping?

How does the paint get sent to you? Maybe you could have it shipped directly from your supplier to customers, and save some shipping?
Hopefully I can work that out in the very near future. My deliveries come via Subaru outback and walked into the shop. They are not quite ready to start taking orders for shipment yet. They ( the US distributor) only received one pallet so far and have much more on its way on a ship somewhere. I will work this out one way or another

The Ride by Golz UpCycle
5493 Carlson Dr.
Sacramento, CA

Latest posts

Back