CT Schwinn: Banana, Banana

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everybody! I'm in again, number 5 for me. I haven't got much time with grad school but I've got a week in between Spring and Summer semester where I plan to get the bulk of it done then. Enough excuses and on to the show...

I've always wanted a Coppertone Schwinn. I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's from seeing one when I was a kid or something. Here is a perfect one from the CABE (thanks pedalsnotalgia) WOW!
pedalsnotalgia.jpg

Of course mine won't look like that ;). I'll have put my own twist on it. Bought this 62 Typhoon ~6 years ago:
IMG_2031.jpg

I put it together and liked it okay, but RustyK said it perfect. We were riding it and the Hot Rod Spaceliner (http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/hot-rod-liner.43403/), everybody oogled at the Spaceliner and nobody at the Schwinn. His response was, "It doesn't get any love does it?" Nope!
16May11101.jpg

So I'm going to try and fix that with some "coppertoning". Not sure what all I'm going to do but I'm going to try a low seat again. This time I'm going to be able to ride it comfortably (unlike Jacked Up Pilot: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/jacked-up-pilot-sun-brick-shots.60927/).

No real name yet. I'll and post my pile of parts but then nothing until late May.
I see a lot a cool ideas already! I'll be watching, on with the show...

Thanks for Looking
Steve

Copper tone is a neat color, timeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a solid start and great concept! If you need a break from studying or building; let's go cruisin'! Rat on Steve!

"Coppertoning" has a cool ring to it. Maybe that should be the build name.
I always enjoy your builds. Glad you're in this year.

Pile o' Parts & Plans

Thanks Guys, I'll try not to disappoint. Yes KF, I like the sound of "Coppertoning" too but I'm too lazy so maybe CT can stand for Coppertoning.

Okay so I took a little time to make a pile of parts that I've been collecting (for years :bigsmile:). I've got some other ideas I haven't flush out quite yet.
IMG_3632.jpg

Main things are that like some fancy CTSchwinns , this will have whitewalls. I bought a 26" Jerald Sulkey whitewall slick a few years back and then it took another year to find a matching ww front tire. It's a Duro City Cavalier 26 x 1.5. They have a cool stagger (2.125 to 1.5) between them.

Then to contrast the copper color and give it some attitude, the components will be blacked out. I think the whitewalls with black wheels might look just right.

I've never seen a CTSchwinn with a full tank before so that's my spin. I'll have to sand blast it or something to make the paint stick. It's a repro that I got off of ebay (from Puerto Rico) for $35 a few years back an I've been itching to put it on. The amount of solid color it will add to profile might be too much, so I might have to accent it with maybe some black and white.

I'm not going to use the black high rise bars but if I can't find what I want, I'm going to make them mid rise bars with more pull back. Looked high and low for the more angular original Nirve Kandy Bars (not II, right?) but couldn't find them. I don't like the more rounded newer one so much. Anybody got an original angular pair for sale??

The sweet heart chain ring should help it class it up, Schwinn style, but will be blacked out too. Not sure about the white grips and pedals. Also this is not going to be a lightweight bike, just a cruiser...

The Coppertoning had me thinking a few different things. First I thought of spraying Rustoleum Hammered Copper (like the trusses on JUP) and calling it "Hammered Coppertone Schwinn :cool2:" but think it won't really give the same vibe as the original and may get a bit overwhelming on the whole bike.
IMG_7111II.jpg

So the original is more of an orange and (sorry) doesn't have enough "pop" for me. I looked at just a copper (flat and shiny) and again too far away from the original. I like the color of my Veloster (as seen in FIL's thread) but it's pearlescent which is too crazy. I saw someone do a really sharp metallic so I'm going for something like that.
Coppertone%20tank.jpg

Thinking I like Duplicolor Firemist Orange metallic (like on the Nissan GTR) but never have rattle-canned with Duplicolor before (anybody else?).
Duplicolor.jpg

I've wanted a low banana seat for a while. Kingfish, you have a nice setup on Firewing. Big thing is that I've got to be able to ride it, so it has to be shoved wayyy back (almost recumbent style) for enough leg room. I mocked one up on this Schwinn for JUP (4 years ago). I’m not going with the fork as a rear mount but I have to flush out my other idea yet.
IMG_5829II.jpg

I had to show this setup for a banana seat which is so cool (Jeff Tiedeken's gravity bike) but absolutely wouldn’t work for this. I thought of a way to add more frame to mine but not enough time (or talent :bigsmile:) The stance is off the charts! Nice job!! (Disclaimer: Again, mine wouldn't look this nice or float like it, LOL)
Jeff%20Tiedeken%20gravity%20bike.jpg

I've also got a couple of cards up my sleeve but I'm not showing them quite yet...

Anyway, that’s enough bench building for now. I’ve got to get back to studying or my future bike-building may have financial restrictions;).

Thanks for looking
Steve

Looks like a plan! Like your paint ideas and the pile o' parts. The low banana set-back seat idea has made my Shelby Flyer Woody maybe my most comfy bike to ride. It was aided by the extreme slack angle of the seat tube.....yours might be harder to achieve with a more standard ST angle....
IMG_20151109_121016.jpg

Plan sounds great ! love the collor your goin for! (follower)

if you go with the 'metal cast' , spray it from a far in very thin coats since its candy/translucent color ..and shake it often .. over plain gold it should give you the same result as the bike tank you showed while still be able to choose to make it look more gold or more orange , but Verry tricky on frames to get all the corners without over sraying other spots

if you use 'Perfect match' paints , Shake Reallllly often , if not the flake effect will differ form place to place .. great paint ! lots of choices!

Not sure if you'd want it, but there are paints that have actual copper in them (and will even age or can be speed-patinated like copper). Modern Masters makes one and, I believe, The Renaissance Man used the iron version to rustify the fiberglass on the Raceliner.

Yeah, duplicolor is the BEST paint in a rattlecan. I always warm my cans up under hot tap water, even in the summer, paint flows on nice...

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Any updates on the bike build MC? The heat is here....time to get out the 'Coppertone'.....:bigsmile:

Thanks for all the likes and paint advice, it helps.:)

Since I can't bead blast the shiny metal tank and chrome chainring, I plan to rough them up with sand paper and then use some self etching primer to hopefully make the paint stick better. Plan to use a second coat of white primer like the rest of the frame so I have the same undercoat color. Good call about the thin layer 1HP, I tried with my kinda grandson's bike and I almost had the coolest color then the 4th coat darkened it too much :(
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/mag-ray-almost-goofed-up.48122/page-4
I put the green on Mag Ray a couple of years ago but he said it's holding up pretty well. I guess he took it to school for show and tell 2 weeks ago and the other kids liked it :thumbsup: I know I have to raise the seat for him now that he is grown at least a foot taller :eek::happy:.

Got a side project going for my wife. I'm actually (trying really hard :bigsmile:) to let her design her own bike. She wants a steam punk bike and I'm helping get it together. I found and bought her some cool Schwalbe brown tires (Road Cruiser 26X1.75) for here BDay (what a guy huh? LOL) Here it is so far:
KsSPBike.jpg

My bike has progressed a bit. I made some brackets to drop the seat lower (and back farther) than the bolt holes on the sissy bar. I was thinking I'd put them on the outside of the seat then when I thought: "Duh!! put them on the inside :rolleyes:". Of course when I did it, then the holes didn't line up and the seat is higher than I want but I'll recut them and the idea should work.:whew:. Think I make the front bracket first to get that idea flushed out and get the back brackets better lined up.
Seat%20brackets.jpg

The paint is in the mail but it looks like its supposed to be hot and humid for a while so we'll see when that gets done. I've got a wacky idea for the handle bars (which my wife loves but its a bit crazy for me) but I'll need some aluminum welding to get it done so not sure if that will happen or not.

Things are moving slowly but they' re moving....
Lots of way cool bikes being built this year!!!

Thanks for looking
Steve

Looks like you're having fun with the SteamWife.
That'll be a huge headlight!

Latest posts

Back