Search results

1. 9

26 MTB to gravel bike conversion

Some more changes. Fitting a 34t chain ring to fix chain tension and make it a little faster. Made the cords neater on bags. Fitted an Soma extra long quill stem adapter to get bars up higher and a short 35mm stem. This has made the bike fit exactly where I want it. Super comfortable and easy to...
  2. 9

Off on another tangent.... BSA custom long lean Path Racer "The Archduke"

Very cool. Path Racers are super cool. I look forward to seeing where this goes.
  3. 9

A few disc brake questions

You would need to change the pull of the brakes since mechanical disc use the same pull as V-brakes.
  4. 9

A few disc brake questions

Not cheap but Paul Component has a brake lever designed to run two brakes off one handle for bike polo. https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/components/brake-levers/dual-pull/duplex-lever/
  5. 9

Bad tire deal - folded cruiser tires.

Most tires I have bought came folded... I thought that was just standard.
  6. 9

\ Changed out the bell (as the old one hit the handlebar bag and didn't really ring) to one that fit on the 31.8mm section of bar. Put a saddle bag on it to hold, tube, multi-tool, C02. Just got in cotton tape which it going to go on with light coat of shellac, bar ends made from champagne...
  7. 9

Yah! Can't wait to bleed my derailleur!

I get more mileage out of my 1x10 chains then my old 2x9. Fair enough on the low gearing. I use it on my mountain bike to climb stuff enough that I wouldn't want to be without it.
  8. 9

Yah! Can't wait to bleed my derailleur!

So what if it isn't perfectly inline? My 1x10 is by far the most reliable drivetrain I have ever had. I like wide range 1x9 or 1x10 as the chain is stronger then 1x11, 1x12 or 1x13. Ideally I want a 11-42 or 46 spread with an appropriately sized chain ring to make sense for where I am riding it...
  9. 9

Surly Bicycles

That is kinda missing the point of the Orge/Troll/ECR etc. They aren't the Corvettes of the bike world they are the overlanders. They are supposed to allow you to cover a lot of distance and to do that you need lots of mounting points. You are going to have to add weight to the front at some...
  10. 9

Gravel bikes

Yeah. They are called cross levers.
  11. 9

Gravel bikes

I respect the heck out of Grant Peterson even though I completely disagree with him on somethings (long chain stays at the top of that list). Those Rivendells are beautiful bikes though.
  12. 9

Gravel bikes

If I may make a suggestion, try getting raising the dropbars further then you current have them. That will put you in a more upright position will allowing you to have the multiple hand positions that dropbars give you. Something like one of these stems...
  13. 9

Surly Bicycles

The ECR has a bit more tire clearance (29x2.5 on the Orge, 29x3 on ECR) and the ECR is a bit beefier. The ECR is rated by Surly for Condition 3 per their frame spec sheet whereas the Orge is condition 2.
  14. 9

What color cotton bar tape should I use on this bike? I want add a layer of cotton bar with shellac to this bike. Trying to decide between brown, maroon, red or black. Colors are here. https://www.treefortbikes.com/Newbaums-Cotton-Cloth-Handlebar-Tape I am also going to get this saddle bag...
  15. 9

Garage clean out (cheap mostly mtb parts)

Did you get my PM?
  16. 9

Probably the first gravel bike ever made.

I have done over 30 mile rides multiple times on my 64 degree headangle 1x hardtail with zero problems. For me, anything over 70 degree head angle feels like a bag of crap on anything harder then blue trails. I love "modern" geometry. Personally I think it gives up nothing (other then they are...
  17. 9

Probably the first gravel bike ever made.

It has but at the same time, I don't see how specialization and more choice hurts anything. It isn't like there aren't a fair few do everything bikes around. I mean Surly makes a whole fleet of them.
  18. 9

Garage clean out (cheap mostly mtb parts)

All prices are cash picked up in Huntsville AL. If you want it shipped buyer pays shipping and PayPal fees. Push Shock of a 2011 Niner WFO9 with 500lb Fox spring. $20 Sold SRAM X9 2speed shifter $5 Nitto Torsion bar off Surly 1x1 (about 660mm wide) free (gone) Cheap ebay riser bar free BrandX...
  19. 9

24x3 tires on a 26in cruiser

Yeah it does. A 26x3 would be nice too.
  20. 9

24x3 tires on a 26in cruiser

Will a 24x3 fit on most vintage 26in cruisers? Also are there fenders that would cover this wide a tire? I have an idea of what I want to build next.