Search results

1. Couch tater

1945 Huffman "Colt 45"

So, now that I've been a part of the Rat Rod Bike family for awhile it becomes clear that most builders that have cranked out a few builds develop a certain style. That's what this one is all about, fine tuning of my own style. I've always owned and been drawn to beater cars and trucks, six in a...
  2. Couch tater

Two more cold weather projects

Like any good squirrel, I've been laying in my winter supply. First up is a 1953 BF Goodrich. The rack is a Higgins that I've partially stripped and sat on it to see how it would look. Not sure how I'm going to go after this one. It would actually be kind of cool to do the mechanicals and leave...
  3. Couch tater

84-ish Schwinn Heavy Duti

It isn't getting ridden so it needs a new home. New tires and tubes. I don't want to ship so this is a local sale. I'll drive an hour out from Kankakee Ill. to meet up if needed. Crusty old rat worthy trades will be considered. $160 as it sits $180 with all the OE parts except the pedals (I...
  4. Couch tater

1940 Schwinn / Sayre - former yard art- "Toad"

This one I regretted bringing home pretty shortly after buying it. It has two over-paint jobs, frame damage, damaged wheels and had been a yard art bike left to the elements. It sat in the corner of my garage until I got tired of moving it and broke it down to crate it for storage. Then one day...
  5. Couch tater

1956 JC Higgins project

Purchased this one on Ebay. The seller sold the tank separately (I didn't get it) and had pick up only on the bike which was way out in a rural town. Tomorrow it will get dismantled, an OA bath (so I can finally get rid of my kiddie pool), and crated for another day while I get my current...
  6. Couch tater

The first one is free.....

My son is borrowing my truck today so I'm going to drive my no air conditioning beater car three hours round trip in 90f+ heat to pick up a parts bike for one of my projects. It ain't always easy but it's always good.
  7. Couch tater

Mudd (my name is)

Stuck a chrome fork in it and calling it done. Introducing Mudd. Build can be found here. The beginnings, 1947 JC Higgins, painted with a brush & rough Cockpit: 2Fastmoto Bars, Italmabure double clamp stem (modified), Black Oury waffle grips Tush department: Viscount double spring...
  8. Couch tater

1940 Sayre Duplex Schwinn

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago, just haven't posted it. Its a tall frame, which got my attention as I have a 34" inseam. It was built by Schwinn for Sayre of Terra Haute Indiana. The rh chainstay has a crank bite which I'll fill weld & shape. Lh seat stay has a bend that should be easy to...
  9. Couch tater

Mrs Robinson

Borrowing from Kona, I named my next project Mrs Robinson Koo-koo-ka-choo. She is an 1890 - 1893 Pope Mfg ladies safety. I bought her for fiddy dollars as part of a deal on another bike. I almost passed on her but she has some really good bones. My plan on her is to retain her original character...
  10. Couch tater

Pope - I need the expert experts

I bought a Pope bicycle tonight. It is a Columbia Ladies Safety, introduced in 1890. Even though Columbia is in the name, it is pre-Columbia. The model 41 was released in 1895 and It appears to have replaced this model and the round head badge is on bikes in the 1895 range. The latest patent on...
  11. Couch tater

Single wall rim to double wall rim spokes

I've been eyeballing a bike on the local Craigslist that needs some love. It's a 26" Schwinn and the rims are pretty rusty. I've never built a wheel but I do have a truing stand and spoke wrenches for maintenance. So, if I wanted to go from the single wall stock rim to something like a Rhyno...
  12. Couch tater

BO15 Mudd (my name is)

Here in the Midwest we don't have mountains or a strand but we have oceans of soybeans. And mud, hence the name. So I'm building a Soybeanie BMX style 26er for the build off. This build is definitely going for function over form. The victim: 1947 JC Higgins. Bought on the cheap, painted with a...
  13. Couch tater

Here we go again

Greetings. I'm an oldster has been into bikes on and off my whole life. A couple of years back I sold off my pile of bikes and bought a Salsa Warbird which is my favorite bike I have ever owned. The Warbird has a couple faults though. One being that it eats up real estate pretty quickly making...