Search results

1. Couch tater

Stem ornament?

It is a bracket for a headlight or lantern. They are very common on early English built bikes.
  2. Couch tater

"Modular" tire.

The second photo shows the major selling point, they are studded for winter rides. Still, nope...
  3. Couch tater

RRB member in need of help!

:41:
  4. Couch tater

1945 Huffman "Colt 45"

This build is getting more twists and turns than a mountain canyon road. The springer pivot on the Goodrich was broken and poorly repaired many years ago. I took it apart and repaired and re-welded it so it is safe and stronger than original so now the wheels are going back to it for later...
  5. Couch tater

1945 Huffman "Colt 45"

The crusty drop center rims turned out to be too crusty. After lacing them I put them on the truing stand and minor tweaks caused big lateral shifts indicating they are way too soft. That won't do for prowling around on the wrong side of the tracks where a speedy escape might be called for. I...
  6. Couch tater

Any TOC experts on here? Need some bottom bracket help.

The tight chain ring to frame clearance seems to be how they were built. I had the same concern with mine but after looking at many online photos it appears to be correct. The races might prove to be a huge challenge to replace. If the aren't fretted or brinelled you can try polishing them with...
  7. Couch tater

Block Chain or 1" Skiptooth

I have found as I searched for parts for my own TOC bike that parts are crazy high, even parts that require major rehab. That one might have been bought for a display item by a serious collector with it being in super nice condition and in the original tin box.
  8. Couch tater

reusing spokes

Crash test dummy checking in. I'm building a set of wheels this afternoon with used spokes. If they break and kill me I'll let ya'll know.
  9. Couch tater

1945 Huffman "Colt 45"

On this build I want to run full sheet metal and tight fitment. A problem that cropped up was that by using the dogleg crank with a 44 tooth sprocket it required moving the chain guard forward and up to achieve clearance for the arm above the crank pin. If I rode it past the chicks, it would...
  10. Couch tater

Getting to Know Matti

At $40 that would make a great parts cadaver for a klunker build.
  11. Couch tater

Block Chain or 1" Skiptooth

Nice one on Ebay
  12. Couch tater

Getting to Know Matti

Good choices. Hardened criminals being returned to society for a new chance at life. Just keep them away from banks.
  13. Couch tater

Columbian Hitman

Oh yeah, one more thing. After it cures it can be top coated with the polyurethane of your choice. I got that from Bob Villa.
  14. Couch tater

Columbian Hitman

I wipe it on with a rag and wait until it starts tacking up (about 1/2 hour) and wipe off the excess with a clean cloth. Rinse & repeat a couple times. Toss the rags into a container of water to keep the garage from burning down.
  15. Couch tater

1945 Huffman "Colt 45"

The head badge is installed. Billy Dee Williams says this bike is going to be super reliable and I believe!
  16. Couch tater

1945 Huffman "Colt 45"

The bottom bracket is installed with fresh new bearings and grease. I decided to keep the Schwinn XS sprocket on it. It will have a 44t sprocket and 20t cog for a comfortable riding 57.2 gear inches. The pedals are from a 1950s Western Flyer Christmas bike. They were filthy and had mold stains...
  17. Couch tater

Getting to Know Matti

So whatcha eyeballing?
  18. Couch tater

1945 Huffman "Colt 45"

So it's been busy doing the background work on this bike. I welded the small screw hole in the RH dropout closed, and welded all the dropouts from the inside because I don't trust crimped dropouts. Also rounding up some small parts that are needed, more on that later. There was one major...
  19. Couch tater

True value of vintage parts (Just an observation)

I've been hunting down old parts that are too far gone for most people and rehabbing them. Frames that need repaired, womens parts bikes, odd parts that nobody seems to know what they fit. Most of the stuff I get is dirt cheap and sometimes free. I spend a lot of time cleaning up the old junk to...