Search results

1. Wildcat

Murrays

I'll be looking for a build thread on that prewar frame. Thanks for the info. I knew Murray made some Schwinns, but not exactly when and for how long, but I thought they were just making them look electroforged.
  2. Wildcat

Murrays

Welcome! There's an intro forum you can use if you'd like. I've never seen an electroforged Murray, I always thought Schwinn was alone with that type of manufacture. I learn something new all the time. Post up some pics when you get your bike!
  3. Wildcat

Chrome Molly

After dating the Nishiki I'm working on, I think the "A" designates the made for Australian market and it may be a Nishiki made frame from 1987. I'm glad I finally got a matching fork for it. I've got alloy rims coming and the bike should be about 30lbs complete. I just realized I don't have a...
  4. Wildcat

Chrome Molly

Big changes for Molly. Lightweight with SA kickback 2 speed is the plan. 2.125 tires of what kind I don't know yet. I'm still hunting for high end tires at a decent price. The old bike supplier returned and reopened their business. "Lucky C" was the biggest place in the city of Olongapo for...
  5. Wildcat

Springer on a Townie?

You could use the existing springer struts and fork arms to make up a set of struts that would work, so you wouldn't have to buy anything extra, except nuts and bolts. The fork arms would be reversed so they curve forward. The ends will be about 4 inches or so short of the front axle mount. The...
  6. Wildcat

Late 80's Nishiki rebuild

Going by what I've read, W is a bike made for the USA market, the 8 is the last digit of the year. That makes yours an 88 model. They also say they were made by Giant after 1987 but this shows they still used their serial numbers, not Giant. If yours was a Giant, the rear dropout would be Gx88...
  7. Wildcat

What have you been riding lately?

We are required to wear both a mask and a face shield together when outdoors. I was allowed to take off the shield for a haircut, but not the mask. It takes two barbers to cut hair, one to barber and one to hold your mask straps. LOL! Of course, it's not enforced and most people pay it no mind...
  8. Wildcat

Springer on a Townie?

That's the idea! Looking at your Townie fork ends, a curved set of struts would bolt right up and look good. I'd like to see what you come up with. You also keep the geometry of the original bike. If you need some room at the top of the threads for the cap, you can remove the original lock...
  9. Wildcat

Giant was said to be the Taiwan builder, but their numbers were on the dropout and always began with a "G". Maybe they used some other builders at first.
  10. Wildcat

Springer on a Townie?

You have the whole sunlite springer? Might as well use what you have on hand. Take the spring assembly and mount it on the fork tube, then make up 2 struts like what came with it only long enough to reach the axle and bolt it up. 1/2" tubing is what I used. Your struts won't reach but can be...
  11. Wildcat

I live in the Philippines and it's great even with the restrictions. I was living in Hawaii barely scraping by and finally had a flight out just before everything got cancelled again. They locked down Hawaii a week after I left. Then they stopped foreigners from traveling here, but I'm already here.
  12. Wildcat

I found the serial number. It's on the downtube. I've never seen one there. It doesn't match up to the Nishiki codes I researched. Has anyone seen the number placed on the downtube? It looks like A7036390.
  13. Wildcat

The weather here is good, but the Covid restrictions of mask and face shield outdoors is keeping me riding virtually. No brakes needed and it's air conditioned in my office. A rat exercise bike.
  14. Wildcat

All torn down, ready for cleanup and new parts. The bull bars have Taiwan 87A on them, so it may be one of the bikes made when Nishiki first shifted production to Taiwan from Japan.
  15. Wildcat

Springer on a Townie?

The quill extender won't provide threads. So, the steering tube won't be long enough to attach. You'll have to add a section to the steering tube below the threads to get the threads high enough for the Townie. That would have to be welded in taking in consideration that the handlebar stem has...
  16. Wildcat

My brother in law asked if I could redo his old Nishiki. He thinks he got it new in 1987 or 88 and it is a Regal. I need something to do anyway so I'm rehabbing it totally, then painting it yellow gold as he wanted. It's been repainted once. I looked it up and the Regal is a road bike and I...
  17. Wildcat

Emory Mountain Bike?

I had another one like the red/black one, just was green/black and had a bigger frame, 20". The angle of the fork was a little too steep for me. I also had a couple of cruisers that were made by Emory but were called Beachmasters. The welds looked pretty crude on some of them as you mentioned...
  18. Wildcat

Ratty Patty

I measured the frame and the extensions I made up for the other bike fit nicely on Ratty Patty, so I did another swap back to Ratty Patty. I cleaned up the frame a little more, it still will get some fine sanding but not to bare metal. I'll keep the patina, just less of the brown rust. I'm...
  19. Wildcat

Emory Mountain Bike?

Being from Jax, I've had more than a few Emory bikes. If you can find one of the early hand made bikes, they are like a top of the line Rollfast. I found one, all original at a yard sale at Jacksonville Beach. I thought it was a Worksman at first. Great deal at $30. That's the best Emory IMO...
  20. Wildcat

Need ID

My first bike was an Evans! I should have known by the chain wheel and dropouts. My bike was bought used in 1961 or 1962. It had the same stripes on the fenders but they were squared fenders. Thanks!