Search results

1. kingfish254

Am I about to bend the rules to far?

My gut feel on this in the spirit of the rules is that the existing seatstay tubes should remain bolted to the bike. You can still bolt the new rear end to the same seattube junction and dropout junction, but the original seatstays should remain in place.
  2. kingfish254

RRBBO16

50 BUILDS IN 7 DAYS
  3. kingfish254

⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ HEXtreme ⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡

I kinda like some of the dings.dents,divots,scratches. I could always get more aggressive with the sanding or even grinding to smooth and feather those out, but I don't plan to go to that level.
  4. kingfish254

⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ HEXtreme ⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡

I still haven't decided just what level of shine and polish this build will have. You can go as far as perfect mirror chrome with enough polishing with this stuff. I polished SaltHammer up to just about that level and never bothered with any coating or protective layer. It's on it's second...
  5. kingfish254

⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ HEXtreme ⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡

It's super tedious. It is like washing each square inch multiple times using three different methods. The sandpaper pieces that I use are only about 1"x2". My fingers were cramping at dinner when I was trying to hold the knife and fork :D : D :D But it is also a very rewarding process as each...
  6. kingfish254

⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ HEXtreme ⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡

I got all of the BB done along with just the drive side seat and chain stays. So here are some contrast pics of the Drive (Cleaned) and NonDrive (Not Cleaned) sides of the bike. Of course I still need to do the hex tubes and the headset casting, but I am pleased with the progress so far...
  7. kingfish254

⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ HEXtreme ⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡

One of the worst looking areas on the frame is the part that goes from the seatpost area to the seatstays. Here is what it looked like to start with. Along side of the right seatstay that I had already cleaned. Here is the after shot. I only did the right side of the seatpost...
  8. kingfish254

⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ HEXtreme ⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡

Actually, before I started cleaning the frame, I connected the rear stays with the new 5/16" countersunk bolts. Both the bolt and the nylock nut were a little long for the drive side. So I went with a regular nut and lock washer, then hacked off the excess, then filed the end of the bolt cleaner...
  9. kingfish254

⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ HEXtreme ⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡

I had to search back on my SaltHammer build to remember the stages I did for that Silver King frame. First step is to use Simple Green as a my wetting agent throughout the cleaning process (polishing is a different process). First I used the stainless wire brush from a Dollar Tree pack of...
  10. kingfish254

⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ HEXtreme ⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡

This 74 year old Duralium is cleaning up well.
  11. kingfish254

'53 Bel Airflow Shelby

I am pretty sure that Binford makes a great cobblers anvil.
  12. kingfish254

'53 Bel Airflow Shelby

The cobbler anvils just have so many curves and surfaces, and they seem to be the right scale for bike metalwork.
  13. kingfish254

'53 Bel Airflow Shelby

Another great tool for the shop is a cobblers anvil. I've used mine in just about every build off since Flexy in BO7.
  14. kingfish254

Push Rod

I like the shortened tailpipe, Just don't burn your left ankle :D
  15. kingfish254

Felt Heavy Duty

I love seeing all of the seat and rack experimentations. Cool stuff.
  16. kingfish254

Riff Ratt

@josh_from_ga used a fork for chainstays on his LegDay build a while back, it came out nice. http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/leg-day-resurrected.101316/
  17. kingfish254

'53 Bel Airflow Shelby

Harbor freight
  18. kingfish254

Project "Firebolt"

Super cool idea to build out a monoshock fork for the Basman.
  19. kingfish254

Beeron Von Truckenstein

Ah, I think I see now. It's gonna be a cargo bike family truckster.