Search results

1. tjwilson

SPACELINER PITMASTER SPECIAL

Thank you sir, much appreciate. Yeah, the “slow” in “low and slow” on this is applying as much to the build speed as how fast the bike will actually be. Three months in and I basically just have a frame and a pile of parts . Would have been nice to wait for the build off to start but I suspected...
  2. tjwilson

ADDITIONAL WELD DRESSING Time and motivation have been a little slim for this build lately. May let it rest for a bit but, I'll get back to it eventually and post progress as it comes.
  3. tjwilson

Thanks. That Cadillac is really nice. Pretty excited that you made that connection.
  4. tjwilson

FRAME WELD-UP I'm amazed when I see some of the images online of welds that professional welders can produce. True artistry. I think I've finally come to terms with the fact that my welds are never going to be able to even approach that type of quality. I can at least get two pieces of metal to...
  5. tjwilson

Thanks for the compliments. Guess I need to check-in more often... closing in on a month to give this reply, yipes! I'm planning on fabricating the tank. I think I can get the front light bezel done in metal by squeezing and sectioning a piece of tubing. Not confident in my sheet metal...
  6. tjwilson

MOCK UP 2.0 I made some paper & cardboard templates to be able to see everything that I was thinking of together before getting too far into actual building. This is the general direction I'm headed but I'm sure things will change as I go.
  7. tjwilson

MOCK UP Time to pull the frame from the fixture and check how things are looking.
  8. tjwilson

BOTTOM BRACKET On this design I have the bottom bracket pushed out in front of the main down tube. I started with a straight tube section tacked in place. Then to reinforce that connection I came up with a second piece that curved upward. After seeing it place I wasn't too sure and I might...
  9. tjwilson

CHAIN STAYS I've been using the same "dies" that I used on Shortbow to make the "S" bends for the top and mid tubes and, now for the chain stays. Here's a link to that build with info on how the dies where originally made. Forget where I saw this but, running a file across the two tubes...
  10. tjwilson

MID TUBES Used a template to locate the mid tubes relative to the head tube and worked my way back. I mocked up the mid tube main forward section and the pieces that bend around the rear tire. The best place to sleeve the two together ended up right near where the mid tubes get welded to...
  11. tjwilson

Can you ever have too many clamps?
  12. tjwilson

DROP OUTS (continued) The top ears of the dropouts needed a little angle adjustment to match the angle of the top tubes. I used some clamps and square tubing to improvise a metal brake. These need some additional finessing to close the gaps between the dropout and tubing and, the tubes...
  13. tjwilson

DROP OUTS In addition to adjusting the initial dropout design to meet the top tubes I had to determine exactly how I wanted to hang the twin rear brake calipers. I'm planning on a rear rack so mounting one caliper at the top wasn't a real option. Plus, at the top I felt that it disrupted the...
  14. tjwilson

TOP TUBES Working a little backwards on this build. Usually I have a pretty strong idea of how I want to design the rear dropouts. I'll typically start with the bottom bracket-chain stay-dropout assembly and build any seat stays or cantilevers off of that. This time I'm starting with the head...
  15. tjwilson

Shortbow

Thanks @Uncle Stretch, quite a compliment. It is my favorite to date. I really like the way this one rides too. It didn't sit still very much last summer. Probably won't this coming summer either!
  16. tjwilson

It is, and about as solid as you could ever hope for.
  17. tjwilson

WHEEL AND FENDER TEMPLATE I'm having a little trouble visualizing exactly how to run the top, mid, and chain stay tubes around the rear fender, wheel, and brake disc. I printed out full size cross sections and mounted them to cardboard to use as reference. I'm hoping this will help me keep the...
  18. tjwilson

TOOL SPLURGE A little detour from build pics... I've been eyeing this fixture (from chopsource.com) for a while and couldn't resist it's pull any longer. Complete overkill for the volume of building that I do but I couldn't be more excited. It's absolutely beautiful and I may actually be able to...
  19. tjwilson

BENDING THE TWIN TOP AND MID TUBES To get matching bends I first welded the tubes up in pairs. The tubes were then filled with sand and caped before going through the tubing roller. I also bent sections that will be sleeved on to the end of these tubes to get them around the rear wheel and...
  20. tjwilson

BENDING SOME METAL I've done this a few times in the past and have had good luck with it. I drew a profile line drawing of the design in Illustrator and then printed it out full size. I shift the drawing while printing so that I end up with an 8-1/2" x 11" mosaic that I tape together. The...