Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. RestoRodSchwinn

Schwinn Straight Bar Gasser ready for summer!

I just re-installed my tank and fender after sending them back to HotRod Jen to be lettered and pinstriped. I'm really happy with the results!
  2. RestoRodSchwinn

Modrophenia

I'm jumping into the fray, and not making it easy on myself with this Ted Williams approved Free Spirit - the emphasis on Free. Part Mod, part Who, part Schizophrenia, it's Modrophenia!! I should be picking up a donor bike or two shortly, then it will be time to make the vision a reality. (What...
  3. RestoRodSchwinn

Sweet 1951 Schwinn Board Track Racer

I just picked up this Custom '51 Schwinn Straight Bar from a friend last night. The only thing I can take credit for is the pretty shine. This thing is loaded with sweet vintage parts - vintage Sturmey Archer Drum Brake, Drop Center rims, NOS Skiptooth Chain, NOS Dogleg Crank, French IDEALE...
  4. RestoRodSchwinn

Let's talk business

OK. One thing I'd really like to do is to be able to turn my hobby of building and restoring bikes into a business, or at least a venture that lets me earn enough money to re-invest into the hobby. One huge obstacle is the price of new/reproduction parts when I'm paying retail (as if the cost of...
  5. RestoRodSchwinn

1936 Hawthorne Flo-Cycle

I don't have pics just yet, but I'm psyched to be taking possession of a Monark-made Hawthorne Flo-Cycle frame this weekend for FREE! I was dreaming about someday building a bike around a Silver King frame today on Facebook, and a friend said he had a frame really similar to what I had pictured...
  6. RestoRodSchwinn

Gas cap/filler, etc.

Hey, guys. I'm getting ready to fabricate a gas tank for my board tracker, but I have no idea where to get a gas cap/filler assembly and other fittings I'll need. I've tried all types of searches. Any help?
  7. RestoRodSchwinn

Thick Brick dimensions

I'm hoping someone who has some thick bricks mounted up can tell me their approximate overall diameter and width at their widest point. I'm building up a prewar 24" Women's Silver King Aluminum frame for my wife and I'm pretty sure that they'll fit. My LBS has a pair of cream ones on sale for...
  8. RestoRodSchwinn

My 1989 Specialized Rockhopper City Bike

This is the bike that kicked-off my latest obsession of building and restoring bikes. It came to me as a single-speeder that kids at University of Puget Sound had been using to run around campus. The frame, forks, cranks, seatpost, stem, wheels, and cantilever brakes were the only parts of the...
  9. RestoRodSchwinn

Monark Board Track Racer

This is my fourth build in the last four years and my first since becoming a member here. It's the first that I will document. Also, it's the first where the finished product isn't going to really resemble what I started with. It's very possible that the only thing I use from the donor bike is...
  10. RestoRodSchwinn

A couple of board tracker questions

So, I'm pretty locked into the idea of building a board tracker. I love the style! I've never ridden one or even been around one, though, so I was wondering if they can be set up so they're moderately comfortable to ride? Any tips? Also, does anyone use Brooks saddles for their builds?
  11. RestoRodSchwinn

A couple of Monarks from the Swap Meet

I went to the old car swap yesterday looking for the beginnings of a new project. I plan on making something that looks old school street tough with a repop Monark Springer, White Fat Franks, no fenders, no chainguard, low-slung handlebars, hairpin saddle, etc. The Monarch will work. I couldn't...
  12. RestoRodSchwinn

New old guy from the PNW

First of all, let me say how happy I am to have found this forum - very cool with loads of info, ideas, and links to the stuff I need for future builds. Kind of like Rat Rod, I've been a car guy - mostly vintage VWs - until the realities of raising a family forced me into the practicality and...
Back