Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. expjawa

Copper Chopper!

I set out this year, initially, to do something a bit over the top. Then I realized what I had in mind would take more time to do it right than I really had. So, I relaxed my objective to just building something cool that I'd enjoy riding about. To that end, I present to you the Copper...
  2. expjawa

The Copper Chopper!

OK, here's where I'm starting with - a basic Sears middleweight of the Spaceliner frame type, though not labeled a Spaceliner. I picked this up a few years ago at a swap meet for $20, and have considered using it for a RRBBO a couple of times before. This year, I've decided to actually do...
  3. expjawa

Black Phantandem

OK, I apologize in advance for the quality of the photo. I saw this today in a restaurant hung up over the lobby. This is probably the world's only 7-seat Black Phantom tandem: Hopefully it was made from repop parts. To anyone interested, the place is called the Trailhead Brewing Company...
  4. expjawa

Kona Hahanna-x1

A while back I picked up an older Kona Hahanna locally for what I felt was a good price. It was steel, it was green, and it fit me. That's all I needed. It did need a little work, but it was functional. The stock RST pogo stick was blown, the cables were all rusted and the drivetrain was...
  5. expjawa

3G tire question

I'm looking for thoughts / opinions on using the 3G Boa tires. Specifically, since Surly Nates are $150 each for the 120 tpi casing version, I'm considering alternates to use in the summer on bike paths and around town, so as to save Nate from excessive wear. The 3G tires are a little narrower...
  6. expjawa

Custom-built Surly Pacer

Ok, so this isn't a rat rod project, however a lot of what I've learned building rat rods went into this. Also, truth in advertising, this all past-tense, I built this bike at the end of summer into fall. For the sake of story telling and posting simplicity, I'll tell it as if it were...
  7. expjawa

Surly Pug Ops

OK, not a rat per se, but a fat bike no the less. I bought myself a Christmas present, in the form of a 2014 Surly Pug Ops. I just picked it up from the LBS a couple days ago. Next to my Columbia 3-Star rat, it makes the 24 x 3" Berm Master tires look downright small: The Ops model...
  8. expjawa

A 3-Star Delusion

Well, I'm calling this one done. I suppose that there are a few very minor things that I want to do yet, but nothing that impacts what it looks like in pictures. Here are some starter photos, taken with my phone. I'll take some much better ones on the weekend, but I want to get the ball...
  9. expjawa

Headset jam nut removal

OK, here's what should be an easy one - How do you break the jam nut from a threaded headset free when it doesn't want to? I've done this job a zillion times, and this is the first time I've run across this problem. I've got Schwinn Hollywood middleweight that I picked up a while back. I...
  10. expjawa

3-Star Delusion - finally an actual ride...

OK, here's my hat in the ring. I'm starting with a Columbia 3-Star Deluxe, in decent patinaed shape, but missing the fenders and with an (incorrect) bent fork. See below: I don't have a consolidated plan like I did last year, and no sketch to point to my direction. Just some loose ideas...
  11. expjawa

Spring Carlisle swap meet

Last weekend was the annual Spring Carlisle swap meet. While primarily an event for car collectors, hot rodders and the like, there are usually a fair number of bikes for sale all around the grounds. Here are the pictures that I took. I'll keep the comments and captions to a minimum.
  12. expjawa

ERD for a Stingray Fastback

Can anyone tell me the effective rim diameter for the 20x1-3/8 wheels used on the Schwinn Stingray Fastback? I want to order spokes to lace a new hub into a wheel I have. I know I can measure it myself, but I was just hoping to find the number so I could get the spokes before I set about...
  13. expjawa

build off bike on Velo Orange facebook page

I'd sent some photos of my RRBBO7 entry "Bonnirocket" to Velo Orange, since I'd used a bunch of their parts on it. I got an email from them this morning asking to use them on their facebook page. I'm not a facebook user myself, but I understand that they've posted them. I thought it was...
  14. expjawa

cool headlight

I picked this up a little while back: I thought it was neat looking. The stacked bulbs reminded me of the headlights on '32 Ford that's shown on the Little Deuce Coupe album jacket. My question is: can someone tell me who made this or what it might be called? I'd like to find another, but...
  15. expjawa

AACA Hershey meet, 10/12 - Lots (and lots) of pics

Kingfish's post on bikes he saw while traveling reminded me that I've been meaning to post about the bikes I saw at Hershey last fall. For those that don't know, every October, the Antique Automobile Club of America holds their annual fall swap meet and car show in Hershey, PA, on the grounds...
  16. expjawa

Columbia 3-Star Deluxe

I found this on CL over the weekend. I thought that $75 was reasonable given its condition, even though it appears to have the incorrect (and bent) fork, a Schwinn saddle, and is missing the fenders and rear carrier. It does have the shell of a Delta headlight on it though. I figured that the...
  17. expjawa

drop bars on a Suburban?

Last night I picked up a 1970 Schwinn Suburban that was listed on craigslist. Campus green, 10-speed model. It has period Schwinn generator and lights, appears to be all original. The chrome and paint is all in pretty good condition. All in all, I think it was worth $50 I paid for it...
  18. expjawa

opinions on classifed ads

Specifically, ad format. What's more effective, listing multiple bikes in one ad post, or starting a seperate thread for each one. I see both done. Let's say, for the sake of arguement, that I want to dispense with a large chunk of my fleet and focus on the bike projects I really want to...
  19. expjawa

Fat Frank brown / white

Schwalbe's website says they now have a white side wall version of the brown Fat Frank. So, brown tread, white walls. However, they're sold out. Has anyone come across these yet or seen pictures of them?
  20. expjawa

1938 Colson Firestone

On Saturday, I stuffed my camera and a parking stand into a backpack and headed up the rail trails on my old Colson-built Firestone to find some spots to take some decent photos of it. In particular, I had in mind a steel girder bridge that the Lehigh Valley Railroad used to cross the Auburn...
Back