Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. ChromePlaterJosh

1967 Schwinn StingRay Lil Tiger build

I finished the Red 68 Lil Tiger as well! Sorry, no before pics of this one. The bright parts are cleaned up and cleared where needed. (I used a CLR soak, does not harm chrome) I repainted it with touch-up paint from an auto parts store. It scratches easily, I do not recommend that. This one...
  2. ChromePlaterJosh

At long last, almost 4 years from when I first bought the rusted corpse of a bike, the thing is completely finished! I just re-installed and re-reupholstered the seat this weekend. The original holes drilled for the sissy bar were misaligned by about 3/4" from the factory. I didn't notice...
  3. ChromePlaterJosh

I did clearcoat the copper plated parts. it takes some of the shine away, but keeps it from turning brown. However, letting the copper oxidize would yield a cool look for a different type of bike. I am still waiting on my inner seat pan and sissy bar to come back from Dad's shop. I should...
  4. ChromePlaterJosh

Completed Now! Fuji Super 12 - XL frame - for free!

Wow that is the tallest Fuji I've ever seen! I got mine at a Cushman/Bicycle show about 13 yrs ago by chance ($40 road bike that fit me, I had to). I've ridden it hundreds of miles since. Mine fits me perfect with my 34" inseam (I haven't ever looked for an actual size printed on it,) but its...
  5. ChromePlaterJosh

Those are nice! I noticed you went with pneumatic tires. I think that was a wise decision. I just bought another early Lil tiger already mostly disassembled and missing some pieces. I will pilfer it's sissy bar, and the do something constructive with it. The 4 yr old big sister is petite...
  6. ChromePlaterJosh

++ LiL Tigers ++

Hey guys, I just recently restarted my resto-modification of a 67 Lil Tiger for my soon-to-be 3 yr old boy. Essentially everything painted is now polished and copper plated; everything else is rechromed. Here is the latest, still working on the seat restoration and sourcing a missing sissy bar:
  7. ChromePlaterJosh

Removing the old solid rubber tires was easy; I simply cut them in half with a sawzall. Installing the new solid rubber tires was the most difficult tire installation I've ever had the pleasure of performing. They have to be boiled in water in order to become pliable enough to install onto the...
  8. ChromePlaterJosh

So now the polished and copper plated frame components are done. The rechroming is almost completely done.
  9. ChromePlaterJosh

After a very long year, I have had a lot going on and the lil tiger was boxed up and put on hold. However, now I have a 2 and 4 yr old ready to ride it, so ive made much progress and am sticking to the original plan. Pics coming soon!
  10. ChromePlaterJosh

Spokes from chrome to patina?

Another idea to add to the previous advice... If you use the Muriatic Acid, submerge all spokes in it, removing all rust and plating from both new and old spokes. Then when they rerust, they will match eachother.
  11. ChromePlaterJosh

Spokes from chrome to patina?

Spokes are rarely chrome plated. Most likely they are either zinc or cadmium plating. They look like zinc or cadmium plating in the pic. Both of with can be stripped with hydrochloric/muriatic acid. Once stripped, the exposed steel will rust, especially if you don't rinse off the acid well...
  12. ChromePlaterJosh

Fuji and a Fixie

Its all good. I don't need any parts for the Fuji right now anyways. The Pixie in the link doesn't have anything I need for the Lil Tiger (The lil tiger is an even smaller 12" bike,) but thank you. If it had a sissy bar, I could probably cut it down to fit.
  13. ChromePlaterJosh

Fuji and a Fixie

That would be great, thanks! :D If you happen across any Schwinn Lil' Tiger parts (67-80 12" kid's bike,) I could use anything, but mostly need a sissy bar. I'm restoring/mild customizing a 67 in the Builds topic here.
  14. ChromePlaterJosh

Fuji and a Fixie

I guess you are right; a bit too far for a parts bike. :oops:
  15. ChromePlaterJosh

Fuji and a Fixie

Well I am only an hour's drive from Dayton, so I may not be too far from you if I can organize the trip around something else in west/mid OH. I love parts... :mrgreen:
  16. ChromePlaterJosh

Fuji and a Fixie

here is my Fuji Grand Tourer. it is my favorite distance bike. Not exactly light by road bike standards, but very stout. I've put approx. 1000 miles on mine, and the only issues I have had are keeping the 90psi 27's from coming off their beads; a typical issue for these tires I'm told. My...
  17. ChromePlaterJosh

Update: i worked on the fenders and got them finished. One little step of many, I try to work on this stuff after work but before getting too hungry, lol. Below shows the worst of the dent damage, then after the dents were repaired, then after polishng and so on. If you look at the prevous...
  18. ChromePlaterJosh

You and me both! :D I'll try to get pics in process too, since I do polishing and plating for a living. Its painting that I don't like because its unfamiliar to me. If anyone knows of a sissy bar available for a lil tiger, please let me know. I might just make one; they are pretty simple.
  19. ChromePlaterJosh

New from Indiana!

Hagerstown. It's just west of Richmond, IN. Laporte, IN looks to be not far from where I grew up in Muskegon, MI. Fireproof, I just may try that idea, but i don't know if I will be able to resist putting it all together, lol. Strangely enough I do not have any more pics of the 68 copper...
  20. ChromePlaterJosh

I picked this thing up at an auction last year only as few miles down the road. So now I am building it up better than new. Plans call for a fully polished and copper plated frame. Everything else will be chromed. A lot of the bright parts were originally cadmium plated, which isn't that...
Back