Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. onyxaxe

What kind of calipers?

Thanks. That was everything I needed to know :). Iwasn't planning on running fenders until I came across these: https://handsomecycles.com/product/mud-butler-fenders-1 They've got me drooling lol. P.S. I just realized I posted the same link twice :p. I fixed it only to see that the reach on...
  2. onyxaxe

3 Piece Crank

Good point: http://www.amazon.com/Redline-3-Piece-Cranks-19mm-American/dp/B000IQBBKO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412304759&sr=8-1&keywords=3+piece+bmx+cranks Cranks compatible with this BB should be pretty beefy.
  3. onyxaxe

29 Genesis Onyx into single speed freewheel with no coaster brake ?

If your 29er beach cruiser is anything like mine the rear dropouts are 120mm wide. Any standard flip flop fixed gear wheelset will fit fine. You'll need new wheels, tires, tubes and a chain. The stock crank should be fine as long as the spacing isn't too far off. Freewheel the spacing is less...
  4. onyxaxe

3 Piece Crank

If it's a typical American bottom bracket you can buy a truvativ American to Euro adapter for about 20 bucks. This will allow your frame to use english threaded square tapers and pretty much any singlespeed crank you want. I emailed Truvativ asking if it would work with outboard bottom brackets...
  5. onyxaxe

What kind of calipers?

I bought the Huffy Millenial from Wal-Mart and am in the process of building it up as a fixed gear with typical 700c box rims. Ballpark which brake reach is necessary?. I'll probably keep the stock fork, it is not setup for recessed brakes. I came across these two options and don't know which...
  6. onyxaxe

70s Motobecane Grand Touring

Thanks for your kind words and advice. I've taken on 3 more bike projects and will make new threads for them when they get going.
  7. onyxaxe

Lol. I've straightened it out a bit since the pic, but it's still on there. I have wide sitbones and it's the only oneI've found that works :)
  8. onyxaxe

Took it on it's longest ride yet yesterday. Here it is:
  9. onyxaxe

Bought my first bike in 15 yrs! Project bike, Please help.

Just found out that the wheels are 622. I learned a bit about tire sizing. The Huffy Millenial uses 28 inch tires or very fat 29ers. My 700c x28's just swam around the middle. The interior rim width is 30mm. Will try the Rubena v99's but this project is a long way from done. Will update later.
  10. onyxaxe

Will do ASAP :)
  11. onyxaxe

I forgot to come back and post when I got it done. I've been riding it for about a month now. The only problem I've had is the chain jumping off the inner ring. My community bike shop tweaked it to where it's rubbing in the front derailleur while crossgearing. Meanwhile I'm learning not to...
  12. onyxaxe

Lol. I think it's just a basic Sunrace freewheel, thanks for the advice.
  13. onyxaxe

What makes a strong frame?

It's sounding more and more like FGFS or old mtb are the way to go. I'll just save up. Thanks for keeping me from breaking something guys :p. I knocked my teeth out as a kid and busted a helmet doing some crap. I learned to ask first lol.
  14. onyxaxe

I'm liking these answers. Thanks for the recommendations and foresight. I'm starting to get the picture. That NS Capital is one of the coolest bikes I've ever seen. The SE is a good deal too. Thanks guys! I'll either keep an eye out for an oversized bmx, dirt jumper or just buy a fgfs bike.
  15. onyxaxe

I kinda asked this already but I didn't quite get my answer. What makes a strong frame?. I want to build a FGFS bike, I found a 1 inch trick fork so the cruiser frames are back on the drawing board. Is a big box cantilever frame strong enough for tricking?. If not what makes a suitable frame for...
  16. onyxaxe

The amazon reviewers were complaining about issues. If you guys had success I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
  17. onyxaxe

types of rattle can paint

They're not any better than walmart paint for this application. The Montana stinks like heck too, the Ironlak wasn't so bad but it took forever to dry. It peels like crazy if you don't let it COMPLETELY dry. I'm talking 3 days or so. Also the sprayers sucked, I followed the directions on both...
  18. onyxaxe

Just realized that my shiftera are friction only. The tourney I bought doesn't fair well unless indexed I've read. I'll either take my old wheel to the lbs and have them remove the freewheel or I'll buy a new friction one.
  19. onyxaxe

types of rattle can paint

I used Rustoleum's Sandable Primer + Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel on my steel Motobecane. The finish is very nice, a smooth deep matte black even with my poor technique. It was a bit over 30 degrees too. For the aluminum parts I used Krylon Dual Paint/Primer in matte black. The...
  20. onyxaxe

Package came this week. I threaded the new tourney freewheel onto the wheelset and all looks good. The moment of truth will come when I set up the gears.
Back