Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. RatRodDad

Easy way to help RRB

I think you have seen some of the notes saying one way you can help support the Rat Rod Bikes site without it costing you anything is to use the Ebay links from the RRB site to browse for items or buy things on Ebay. Not just bikes either - but anything you search for or eventually buy on the...
  2. RatRodDad

My neighbor's finds - Schwinn and 2 German bikes

My neighbor, John, is into bikes now and spends his weekends hitting the local garage and estate sales looking for new finds. He cleans them up and resells them to make a few extra dollars - and does pretty good at finding a supply of bikes and getting them sold too. As with all of us, he...
  3. RatRodDad

Swap Meeting

Uncle Stretch and I attended a bicycle swap meet that was held in Houston this past weekend. It was held in the parking lot of a fairly small restaurant / tamale place, but that turned out to be okay since there weren't a lot of sellers who showed up. It was on a busy corner, though, so we did...
  4. RatRodDad

Uncle Stretch's mini clone

Apparently we missed the deadline to get in on the voting, but I thought I would put this on the finished bike thread anyway. It was a fun build and we ended up selling the bike to some kid at one of the bike swap meets and he was really happy to have it. I told him it was one of a kind, so...
  5. RatRodDad

Uses for old wheel reflectors

I bought a couple of old Murray bikes yesterday and they came with the old style reflectors on the wheels. The ones that were screwed on versus the newer ones that are help on with plastic snap buttons. When I removed them I remembered Paul (Uncle Stretch) wondering what you could do with them...
  6. RatRodDad

Chrome Cruizin

My neighbor gave me 4 bikes that he pulled down from his attic after having them up there 15 or 20 years. I told him I would clean up 3 of the 4 and split the money I got for them with him - and I would keep the 4th one - which was a chrome Murray Baja mountain bike that belonged to his son...
  7. RatRodDad

Thanks, Uncle Stretch!! IOU1

Paul took care of me yesterday. He ran across a ladies Schwinn 4 on CL over on his side of town and asked if I wanted to buy it. The price was reasonable so I told him yes, definately. So he drove over and made the deal for me - and even sent some pictures of the bike today. My plan is to...
  8. RatRodDad

My neighbor's bikes

. My neighbor across the street watched me working on bikes in my garage so one day last summer he walked over and told me that he had some old bikes in his attic that he needed to get down and see if they were worth anything - or just give to me. So last weekend while the weather was cool he...
  9. RatRodDad

Uncle Shrink's Mini Me (the mini clone)(video added 3-20)

Paul decided that the kid bike build off was right up his alley. No limitations on frame mods. So I rounded up some parts and headed over to his house today to see what he could put together. I brought the remnants of a BMX bike that I found in the neighborhood a few months ago, a coaster...
  10. RatRodDad

Bike addiction

Okay, I figured out how to know for sure that I am now addicted to bicycles. I was out washing my car in the driveway yesterday and the weather here in Houston was sunny and in the mid 70's so as you might imagine, lots of folks were out bike riding. I saw several different ladies ride by my...
  11. RatRodDad

My turn for a clone

Uncle Stretch (I guess it's actually Brother Stretch to me) got bored while waiting for his Mexico connection to come through on building him some Colson clone frames, so he built me a one in the mean time. I ran over to his house this weekend with my parts in hand and we put it together and...
  12. RatRodDad

Rat Roadie

I bought an old Murray ladies single speed coaster brake comfort bike a while ago and I planned to clean it up a bit and sell it. I took a good look at it the other day and found that the frame was pretty rusty in quite a few places so it was going to take a bunch more work than I wanted to put...
  13. RatRodDad

Who sells Brooks saddles cheap?

Does anyone know a good source of new Brooks saddles at a decent price? Uncle Stretch would like to get one of the new 2008 models so he's trying to find the best place to buy one. So if you know of a reasonable source, pass it on. Thanks.
  14. RatRodDad

Remix of Remix

I decided my Remix bike - the Murray Mixtie turned rat rod - needed some red wheels, so I got busy and painted up a set yesterday while the weather was still warm. I thought Steve would like it since the wheels now match the picture of the wheel up at the top of the forum page. :D Here's...
  15. RatRodDad

The Colson Clone-video added 1-1-08 (Happy New Year to all)

Hooch, Paul decided that he hated to chop up the '37 Colson frame you sold him, but he really liked the style of the frame. So instead of cutting up the original he decided to use it for a template to come up with something similar - only with a 6" stretch to get those pedals out there. So...
  16. RatRodDad

The stretched Penny

Paul's (Uncle Stretch) wife Betty decided that he had done enough guys bikes and so she wanted him to build her a strecth bike of her own. He bought a chopper / low rider frame and parts a while back - mainly to get the triple tree fork off of it to use on another of his bikes. So he was left...
  17. RatRodDad

Information on running wide tires

I'm trying to find out any information you guys have about running wide tires - 3" ones, as an example, and what problems you run into doing that or what issues you have to deal with. It appears most everyone runs a 24" wide tire in the back and maybe a similar one in the front - or a smaller...
  18. RatRodDad

Roaring coaster rear end - success at last

I bought a cheap single speed bike a couple of months ago and I noticed that when you are riding it and stop pedaling and let it freewheel, it makes a fairly loud roaring noise. It doesn't make noise when you are pedaling or when you are braking - just freewheeling. I pulled the coaster brake...
  19. RatRodDad

Need a good laugh?

Paul (Uncle Stretch to Steve) was out roaming today - heading to the metal place to buy some pipe for his latest creation - and while he was out he stopped by a scrap yard and asked if they had any junk bikes laying around. They gave him a couple of bikes - one Free Spirit that has a 3 speed...
  20. RatRodDad

Grease in my Shimano 333 hub

I recently bought a bike that had a Shimano 333 rear hub on it. I was going to use the wheels on another bike. Once I got it home I checked and the shifter rod was not working properly - not coming out on it's own and staying stuck in, as if maybe the spring inside was broken or something. I...
Back