Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. cjperry81

1977 Schwinn Spitfire Blue Search

Hey Everyone, Recently I acquired a 77 Schwinn Spitfire. It was bright red but you could tell that it had hints of blue under it. When I checked the bike history site that year they only came in Black, Flamboyant Red, and Sky Blue. I’d love to take it back to a near original color so I’ve...
  2. cjperry81

EC RIDER

I bought my first vintage bicycle 6 years ago. Took it apart to build it like ones I saw on RRB but got in over my head. Didn't touch the bike for the last 5 years as it sat completely dismantled. I'm glad that I decided to do this build off and force myself to do this 1956-57 Evans Colson...
  3. cjperry81

RRBBO13 EC RIDER

Using the build off as an excuse to put my bike together that I originally wanted to do 6 years ago. Fell in love with all the cruisers people were riding when I was on a trip out to Huntington Beach from Ohio. Came right home bought a 50's Evans Colson off craigslist and started stripping in...
  4. cjperry81

Looking for Ohio people

Hi everyone I've been a member of this site some time but have been gone for a while. I'm trying to renew a build but ive met my mechanical limits. I was wondering if anyone on here was from South West Ohio. Cincy/Dayton or even Columbus area? Can anyone recommend some southern ohio forum...
  5. cjperry81

"S" Shaped Seat Post

Ive seen several seat posts on this site where the they seem to for an S shape and allow the seat to sit back farther. Im I really big guy and im pretty sure im going to need the extra room on my project. Where can I find something like that or are those handmade?
  6. cjperry81

Missing Head Nut

So during my first build here I have not been as organized as I would like. Ive had a couple people help me get the forks and head set off my bike because my tools werent cutting it. So I started to reassemble the bike today and the nut on top of the fork is missing. No idea where it is. Where...
  7. cjperry81

Paint before lacing?

I have my wheels all unlaced and right now im wire brushing all the garbage out of the old wheels. Before I buy new spokes etc can I paint the wheels the color I want or will they get scratched up when they get laced back up? Ive watched some videos where people just tape off their spokes and...
  8. cjperry81

Best way to remove inner wheel corrosion?

I was unlacing my 50's Evans wheels today and one I got what I believe to be the original tires off there was a ton of corrosion on the inside of the wheels. This is common I would assume in these old things. The wheels dont appear to be compromised because there is no rust that is all the way...
  9. cjperry81

Unlacing a Rear Wheel

I was trying to unlace my 50's Evans wheels today for my first build. The front wheel no problem.....screw driver and spoke wrench. Only had a few tough ones. The rear wheel however I can seem to get any of the nipples loose. Is this common? Am i doing something wrong? Do you just cut the spokes...
  10. cjperry81

Noob Tire Question. 26x1.75

Hi this is my first build and im planning on using the factory rims that came on my 50's Evans. The tires on it appear to be original goodyears or at least very old. The size is 26x1.75 am I stuck with that tire size or is there some give in that size. Im trying to find white tires for it but...
  11. cjperry81

How to find a cool headlight?

Im new to the site and part way through my first build. Im building a cruiser but with a little boardtrack flair hopefully. I was wondering where everyone finds these awesome giant headlights. I dont even need one that works for the time being. Im not into the square art deco looking ones. I...
  12. cjperry81

Project "eNVy"

Hi guys, ive been on the site for about a month now asking questions on how to get started and the basic noob stuff. I bought my first project about 3 weeks ago. Its a 50's model Evans. Not real sure the exact model but based on the completeness and stock condition it appears to be a Viscount...
  13. cjperry81

How Do I Know if My Wheels Are Good Still?

Im a complete noob. Im working my first project, a 50's Evans. I bought it and took the whole thing a part. I see people talking about hub problems and not being a smooth ride. How do I know id my original wheels/coaster hub are still good? Its a budget build like normal so I hope they work. The...
  14. cjperry81

Hey from Dayton, OH

Hey everyone, Im Chris from Lebanon, OH just outside of Dayton. I took a trip out to Huntington Beach last month and everyone near the beach rides bikes and almost all of them are fender styled bikes. I loved them so much it pushed me over the hump finally and actually got me serious about...
  15. cjperry81

Wheel Resto

I just bought my first project a 50's Evans. It was a basket case when i got it. The wheels dont appear to be bent dented and the spoked look normal. What do I need to do to make them road worthy. They have some surface rust that i was going to scuff out and them paint the wheels and spokes red...
  16. cjperry81

Noob Fork Removal

So I bought my first project bike yesterday. 50's Evans. So im breaking it down today. I get to the fork and I cant figure it out. The handle bars are out...so at this point its the (pardon my lack of terminalogy) giant nut on top,then a front book rack piece, and then a giant washer looking...
  17. cjperry81

How do I get started?

Ive always liked vintage looking bikes but I just went to Huntington beach last week for vacation last week and I loved all the cruiser bikes ect that I have to make one. I want to build them actually. Where do I start? Do I need to get online and find a cruiser style frame? I have no idea how...
Back