Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

I remember this moment because I had that much fog inside the foot well, that I was blind even when I drove out of the hangar. I knew, there was an expensive professional camera in front of me, but didn't knew exactly where. Running over equipment, worth several thousands Euros would be a...
  2. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

Here is the promised TV presentation
  3. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

Thanks for your kind words. Currently I'm without phone and internet at home, because my provider changes the entire cable based system from analog to digital. I think, i will have full access in two weeks again. Only with the mobile phone it's a pain to upload photos, or editing posts. So don't...
  4. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

Hello guys and a happy new year to you all. I forgot to update the thread, so here is the current progress. You can see a lot more pics in my recent blog posts here and here. At the moment I have difficulties inserting all the photos, 'cause I'm posting from my phone.
  5. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

Christian from the local steampunk community made some color simulations. Quite useful, I think. Better than paint it first and hate it afterwards. He also suggested to change the grille from oval to a horseshoe shaped one. Now it looks more like a Bugatti or Morgan, than a Jag. My wife just...
  6. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

The front is nearly ready built now. Here are some pics:
  7. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

I hope to save 20kg or at least 15kg in comparison to Mk I. Means 65-70kg empty weight of the Mk II (including 2x NuVinci hubs).
  8. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

Front fenders are under construction now.
  9. Plycar

RETROADSTER, a quad tandem

Pics from the Critical Mass Berlin, we joined last weekend
  10. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

OK, I was very lazy, since the last posting. The new velocar is still not ready, BUT here are three recent pics. I photogrphed both velocars for comparison. Next steps are transmission and front fenders.
  11. Plycar

Last Thursday I made a rear window for the cabrio roof: To get an oval shape without wrinkles, I made an additional plywood frame for the window, nearly 1 inch wide. I clamped the frame and window together and drilled a row of holes through both. These holes are necessary for stitching...
  12. Plycar

After nearly a year I'm working again on the color scheme of the velocar. The front part (birch plywood) developed a lot of black fungus spots in the not so dry garage. It looked horrible ugly A remarkable fact is that all pine plywood parts (the rear body sides) are still in good condition ...
  13. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

In fact I have planned to use stitch&glue method for this project. But as it turns out, I was too lazy to try new things. Only the chassis frame is glued with epoxy, using square edge stringers (20mm square) for taking up the tension/pressure forces Due to the long curing time and the mess...
  14. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

A short building update: Doorframes glued and doors cut out. With outside hinges the doors will be able to swing 180°, as shown. Almost Lambo doors !!! Top panel temporarily attached with screws and partly trimmed edges. The hole in the front will be closed by the headlights and a hood...
  15. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

Dashboard "planked" and view into the partly assembled front luggage compartment Controlling the shape of the front curve Knee clearance is a bit tight. I have to shift the dashboard 5cm forward Additional cutouts in the dashboard to get more room for the knees
  16. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

It's a long time since the last post, so here is an update: The rear is almost ready built since October. After that I lost interest and also had small opportunity to work on the project. Finally, in January I worked again on the vehicle. I'm still in the making of the front hood. The...
  17. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

No, it's all self designed, based on the models of Mr. Mochet. I'm pondering about the final solution for the rear luggage compartment. The previous velocar had a closed tail only accessible by removing the backrest of the childs seat. Because I want a modular solution, which allows different...
  18. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

This week I worked on the tear drop tail. Here are the results so far: There is still a lot to do, I guess another three days for the tail and after that the front hood. Kai
  19. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

Yes, E-assist is planned. We have a LiFePo4 battery pack here, 36V11Ah which is in cuboid form. Only under the center part of the drivers bench is enough space for six of these packs. But i think, for usual daily distances one or two would be enough. Otherwise you would carry around a lot of...
  20. Plycar

Phantom Retroadster Mk 2

I will create jackshafts inside the side boxes, as i did in my old velocar, to drive the offset rear wheels.
Back